fixed bed or not fixed bed ....... decissions decissions

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Fortunately the design of our present van is such that the toilet and shower can be a completely closed off area with private access from either end of the van or en-suite to the bedroom.The other option for these vans was an offset centre bed with sliding partitions round the bed a bit like a four poster set up.It was a very hard task finding our particular layout for the pennies we had.We would still have opted for a fixed bed anyway.The decision to buy a fixed bed was made as a consequence of being away for 3 months.When we did leave the sofas as a bed it looked untidy and we wouldn't get in the lockers underneath or the drawers in the centre chest.I think there will always have to be compromises made unless you get a humungous van and then you would be restricted to where you can go.You just have to decide what is the best for yourselves.Everyone has different needs and wants that's why there are so many variations.My advice would be to take your time deciding, if there is a doubt, as it is an expensive and disappointing mistake to make.

Thursdays Child

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There are just the two of us and we would never go back to a caravan without a fixed bed now.

Like others who have replied we've had various caravans but the last two have been fixed bed models which we find to be more convenient for touring.

We have just made our caravan bed up ready for our first trip away tomorrow, the space taken up with the bed is not wasted because we store lightweight items underneath which frees up a lot of cupboard and locker space.

In answer to Bedford George's question about having friends walk past your bed a lot depends on how often you are likely to share your caravan with friends.

If you do it often it might be worth investing in a toilet tent with a porta potti so that they have a separate toilet and a plus point is that they get to empty it.

They can be seen by clicking the links below.

Toilet Tent

Pota Potti

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
our last 2 caravans have been fixed bed when you think about it , you spend about 8 of your hours in bed more or less in the same position , if i just went for the odd week end i wouldnt bother ,but as we spend about 80 nights away ,thats a considerable amount of bed making

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Of course, there's always the other alternative to overcome the above problem with a fixed bed, but washroom in the middle, like ours:

DAY LAYOUT

thumbnail.jpg

(The same caravan is also available with a double bed instead of 2 singles)

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Our Van is similiar to Lutz design but we have a double bed on the nearside, which has hardly any cutoff and is 6'3" long. There are wooden sliding doors both betweenus and the loo on onse and the shower the other and yet another wooden sliding door between them and the kitchen/lounge area so complete privacy when any one staying. We have twin long bunks in the lounge end which makes into a double. To us it is our ideal van an Elddis Crusader Storm but they stopped making the design in 2006 when they went for all surround seating and end bathrooms. Notice the bathroomms have now come back to the middle again this year.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
hi guys

well thanks for that ton of information

After much more one way conversation i think ( well her in doors has) that we are going for the fixed bed

She seems to have set her heart on the Coachman Amara

Had a look the other day and i have to say im pretty impressed by the quality and standard of workmanship

So i think its a couple of weekends out in the old abbey gts and then its away to see if we can trade her in The abbey nit the other half

Anyway to all that joined in this string thanks for the advice and im sure i will come up with something else soon

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Well FWIW we changed from fixed bed (swift conqueror 630) to a twin dinette (Elddis Crusader Superstorm) layout. I was just fed up with losing all that space during the day. Takes 5 mins to set up the bed. The new van feels much more spacious.

But, if we ever get the wider and longer vans made legal in the UK I would go back to a fixed bed. Just not in 2.3m vans.

G

6'4' + beds were the acception the last time we looked.

4'6' is a narrow bed!

Giving up around 1/3 or more of the caravans space for about eight hours a day use just doesn't work for flexibility.

I've no idea as to what some of you do a night time, but a couple or so minutes is all it's ever taken to make up beds and we've slept in comfort all our caravanning years.

We have mid bathroom and kitchen. Twin dinette setup and both end make huge confy spacious beds.

With kids to entertain you can't beat it, Joby's van looks lovely but we just see wasted space.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts