need help to be convinced

Other half wants a fixed bed

I prefer to go for space then the fixed bed

thats not all theres a weight issue

fixed beds are heaier

what your opinion .............

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I am same as you ,when we bought our lunar zenith last year there was 3 models all the same price.4 birth fixed bed,5 birth end dinnete,6 birth bunk beds,kids wanted bunks & I liked the whole, there is loads of room in here factor,1/2 year in & wife would now preffered a fixed bed as she spends that much time making sure the bed does not have crease in it when it is made up,just the way she is,aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh !!!!!!

I have told her even if we change to a fixed bed we still need to make beds up as you dont get fixed beds & bunks ,thats why people buy statics if they want that,

I still prefer the space ,but I do know that when the time comes for change fixed bed will be the item on the top of the list,hopefully I will keep my van for 20 years then :)

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Paul, I personally went for the fixed bed.It is no problem making up a bed for a week or so but for long trips it is tedious.It is so nice to get back late and just get into a ready made bed!There are only the 2 of us so space is not an issue.If you have children that will impact on your choice.Our old van was not a fixed bed model but it did have a large bathroom at the back.We decided it was a space we could do without and the bed was more beneficial. The weight is another thing to consider and I am not conversant with this but I would think there are some lighter models available.I am pleased that it was so easy for the both of us to agree on our priorities.Good luck in your search and I hope you find what you both want.

Thursdays Child

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
well guys thanks for that so far

i will wait for more opinions

still not convinced but i do see the valid points you have laid out especially the getting back late mind you my other half like to lay in whilst i have to walk the dog even if it raining ha ha ha ...... she will have a fixed bed any day i might have to sleep with the dog in the awning lol

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Paul, if there are only two of you what would you do with the 'extra' space? There's a bed made up permanently, which if either of you want to nap, is ready and waiting, there are still two sofas, one each, for lounging on during the day - there's still a kitchen, wardrobe, vanity unit, shower cubicle and so on. Apart from that you don't spend the late evening wrestling with cushions, making up beds (unless you're the kind of caravanner who prefers separate beds and makes do with a sleeping bag on the sofas)or the early morning packing them up before you can sit down for breakfast. We prefer a nice comfortable bed, made up for when you want to fall in it, and not one that has to be packed away each morning and unpacked again at night.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
paul, even though there are only two of you, for what you are looking for i think a twin dinette would suite you. that way you can leave the rear bed made up as a fixed bed when you want, and when the need arises for more space, convert it back into the lounge area.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Paul

We prefer the fixed bed. As others have said it makes life much easier on long trips (but perhaps not so if you go on a lot of weekend rallies etc.)

Another advantage not mentioned so far is that you don't have to find space to store the bedding as it is already on the bed!!

Keith

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
You can have the best of both worlds - we bought a twin dinette Lunar Delta with flexibility at the forefront of our mind.

When the Grandchildren are 'on board' it can be made up with four bunks at the back and two singles or a double at the front - when the wife and I are alone we make the back up as a double (and its a big double), put a foam mattress on top and leave it made up.

We actually had decided to buy a fixed bed - but when it came to the crunch just couldn't part with the flexibility of space.

However each to their own !

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Paul

My last two have both had fixed beds.We sleep so well and don't have to mess around making up beds every night. Lazy? Yes.

Also if SWMBO wants to go to bed early, she can, leaving me to watch the tv... Boring??? But it's the flexibility. Also loads of storage underneath.

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi Paul

We are on our 3rd fixed bed van,would not have anything else the bed is so comfy and no making up the bed after a wiskey or 3.Plenty of room on the front day beds as they are full lenght not the short type.In the evenings plenty of room we have had 8 people in no problems we rally most weekend and also spend 8 weeks at a time when we go on holiday in Jan and Feb each year so I recomend them.

G

The fixed beds are to small.

Fixed beds restrict usable space if your usage varies. ie, you entertain grand kids or other people.

If you want flexibility don't buy a fixed bed.

If your tall don'y buy a fixed bed.

If you want to have plenty of space don't buy a fixed bed.

If your usage stays the same and you don't need the space, go for it.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We chose fixed beds because we found making beds every night was a chore that we could well do without. I don't quite share Euro's criticism of fixed beds being unsuitable for tall people. Our fixed bed (arranged lengthwise) is over 6' 6" long.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Euro

Our Pageant Vendee bed was 6'10" x 4'6"

The Wyoming bed is 6'4" x 4'6".

I'm "tall" and have no problem.

I think your statements are relative to the overall size of the caravan.

We do real touring rather than drive , pitch up for weeks, then home. The sheer convenience of the fixed bed suits our style perfectly. Done loads of non fixed bed models over the years.

Why would I want to take a retrograde step?

Cheers

Dustydog

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Our fixed bed is long enough at 6'4" - and a corner bed, not transverse. We do sometimes take our young nephew and niece with us and the front beds are long enough for them. If our friends (a couple our age) come with us then the front makes up into a large double - so we don't lose any flexibility (and we have a proper screen across between 'rooms'. For us avoiding the terrible cushion-wrestling at night, and again in the morning, is more important than any possible lack of space.

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
HI PAUL.we had a fixed bed 6 years ago,and loved it,we have started back just over a year now with another fixed bed with the open plan layout,thats with the bed on right side as you go in the van.we keep bedding,cloths line,loungers,fold away chairs etc, it is brilliant no making up the bed,make sure that you get long seats in the front and the open plan layout its more spacios hope this will help make up your mind.ALAN P/T

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog, we are still waiting for our fixed bed Challenger 570, the only problem I can forsee is during the night. If we have friends staying, they would have to come past the bed to use the toilet. I have a thought, and would appreciate your comments on it. You had a picture of some Suction Spring Clamps that you purchased from B & Q, do you think it feasible to stick them on the sealing and hang lightweight curtains on them, around the bed? I have tried to find them in 3 B & Q outlets without success, but think I may have been looking in the wrong section. I have found detailed information on them from the Net, so may have more luck on my next vist.

The only other alternative I can think of, is to tell them to use the site facilities, not much fun on a bad weather night.

How do you approach this situation ?

Appreciate your comments,

Best regards,

George

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bedford George.

They were Sproket's suckers not mine , but as you say they came from B&Q.

Privacy wise we've only ever had neices and nephews stay so not a problem.

What you could do is rig up a temporary curtain using domestic shower poles as the vertical supports and then fastening elastcated curtain wires to them? Don't overtension the poles in case you dent the ceiling. You could also use some lightweight ply to spread the load.

Some Fleetwood caravans actually came with a fitted curtain rail screwed to the ceiling with pretty little blue night lights. Have you seen them?

Maybe Andy from Swift could advise you on here if such a mod is possible on your Challenger 570?

Cheers

Dustydog

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Bedford George.

They were Sproket's suckers not mine , but as you say they came from B&Q.

Privacy wise we've only ever had neices and nephews stay so not a problem.

What you could do is rig up a temporary curtain using domestic shower poles as the vertical supports and then fastening elastcated curtain wires to them? Don't overtension the poles in case you dent the ceiling. You could also use some lightweight ply to spread the load.

Some Fleetwood caravans actually came with a fitted curtain rail screwed to the ceiling with pretty little blue night lights. Have you seen them?

Maybe Andy from Swift could advise you on here if such a mod is possible on your Challenger 570?

Cheers

Dustydog
Thanks Dustydog. I am completely new to caravanning and have no experience other than about 34 years ago, when I had a towing hook on my company car. We drove from Liverpool to Glasgow and hired a Bluebird ? caravan for 6 nights. We visited Invarary, Pitlochrey & Fort William and had a great holiday with the girls who were about 4 & 6 at the time.

Apologies to Sproket, I think the original picture had a photograph of his dog, hence my mistake.

I am sure that all newcomers, such as myself, are very grateful for you and all members of the forum sharing your experience with us. I am beginning to think I know what its all about, but will, I am sure, be in for a lot of surprises along the way.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Sproket,

Thanks for this information, do you think they would support a privacy light weight curtain around the shape of the bed, if stuck to the ceiling of a van ?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
George

I'd be careful trying to suction hang anything on the ceiling surface as it's only a vinyl type material glued on. Why try a real simple job of using a length of curtain expanding wire suitably anchored with two hooks either end of the bed? Ok one end would have to follow the cut off line of the bed.

Cheers

Dustydog

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
I suppose it depends on how heavy it is? but then the more of the suckers the better it will hold, all you can do is try, they work ok outside on the flat side of the van.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Dustydog & Sproket, think I should wait and see how it works out before trying too much. If the ceiling is not strong enought to support the weight, I could cause myself some long term problems.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If four people are sleeping in something as small as a caravan, then generally there's only a curtain between you and them. In our van we have a spring loaded lightweight curtain pole which we can spring into place between the corner of the washroom, and the L-shaped kitchen unit top. We can then hang a curtain on it if anyone is sharing the van with us. It tucks away under the bed when we're on our own - but does give that 'feeling' of privacy when there are other people there.

You can buy them for next to nothing and it works very well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts