Electric hob

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
My van has 3 ring burner gas cooker. Unfortunately only 2 rings work. Was thinking of buying a small single electric hob as we are always on EHU sites. Question, what one do you recommend? Or is worth getting burner fixed, if so is it a DIY job? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Small portable induction hobs are very useful in a caravan. Choice is very wide based on price and make. IKEA do some own brand and they give excellent service if anything should go wrong.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Basically anything beyond normal day to day cleaning or customer maintenance tasks described in the owner's manual are not realistically a DIY job unless you have access to the necessary test gear and you know how to use it in compliance with the gas regulations.

Unless the hob is obsolete it should be repairable.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
My van has 3 ring burner gas cooker. Unfortunately only 2 rings work. Was thinking of buying a small single electric hob as we are always on EHU sites. Question, what one do you recommend? Or is worth getting burner fixed, if so is it a DIY job? Thanks.

Depends on the fault. But a simple unscrew of the burner plate and a good clean may solve the issue. Beyond that it needs to be somebody ideally qualified.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Took the offending ring apart as far as I could,cleaned it but no luck. I can live with 2 rings, saying that if I had 3 rings working I would need miniature pots to cook with. Think I will go down the single electric hob route.

Reactions: JRT
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Another vote for an induction hob. Bought one for the caravan, it gets a lot of use at home. Much more efficient than a radiant hot plate, and really quick.. Just check anyway you intend using is ferrous metal not aluminium?

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Easiest way to check if cookware will work on an induction hob is to check with a magnet. If the magnet sticks it should work.

Also be aware of precautions required if you have a pacemaker fitted.

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Another vote for an induction hob. Bought one for the caravan, it gets a lot of use at home. Much more efficient than a radiant hot plate, and really quick.. Just check anyway you intend using is ferrous metal not aluminium?
Good point re induction hobs and aluminium pans, although some pans have littles dots of ferrous in the base and are compatible with induction.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the faulty burners won't stay on it'll be faulty thermal couplers. These valves shut off gas if flame goes out. Should be easy fix for caravan service centre. Could do it yourself but without gas detector to check for leaks afterwards best leave it to experts.

View: https://youtu.be/jKWYfcM1Ovc?si=5N4XpanhOfvtUCpg
A gas burner that won't stay lit isn't always a faulty Thermocouple. There can be several other issues that can prevent a burner operating. In the UK there is a limit to what a DIYer is allowed to do on a gas appliance.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
If the faulty burners won't stay on it'll be faulty thermal couplers. These valves shut off gas if flame goes out. Should be easy fix for caravan service centre. Could do it yourself but without gas detector to check for leaks afterwards best leave it to experts.

View: https://youtu.be/jKWYfcM1Ovc?si=5N4XpanhOfvtUCpg
Not always, it could be as simple as 1) take the gas knob off, try and light the hob with it off, if it works pack the knob slightly 2) something sitting on the gas plunger stopping it going fully in 3) faulty lid switch 4) bad connection on thermocouple and then possibly thermocouple. Not in any particular order 🤔

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
The thermcoupler on 2000 bailey was mechanical valve that allowed gas to flow when hot. If flame goes out it closes and stops gas flow. Latest 2008 Adria is similar ie no electrics.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Just look into fixing existing burners. Having 1 out of 3 burners working will make it lot harder to sell, chances are buyers will demand all 3 are working.

If last burner fails you will be eating out on unpowered site.

Using additional electric hob means using up very precious bench space.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A thermocouple (not "thermocoupler") as used as a flame failure device (FFD) is an electrical device that uses the thermoelectric effect to generate a current at the junction of two dissimilar metals when there is a temperature difference between the junction and a colder junction at the other end . The bigger the difference in temperature the bigger the current will be.

The current can be used to power and electromagnetic gas shut off valve such that when a flame goes out as the thermocouple cools down the current drops below the strength needed to keep the spring loaded shut off valve open.

The current generated is not enough to open the valve by itself , it needs a manual action to open the FFD valve which is what happens when you press the gas valve stem in whilst trying to ignite the appliance.

There are other electronic means of detecting flames, ac rectification, DC ionisation bias, Resistance change, bi metalic thermal switches, but few are as foolproof and reliable as the Thermocouple FFD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts