fixed beds, quilts or sleeping bags, please help?.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hiya, we have ordered a new sterling elite onyx side fixed bed, side washroom.

do you use a sleeping bag or a quilt?.

if its a quilt what size do you have double or single?.

where do you get your fitted sheets from or do you use normal ones?.

thanks

jo-anne

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nice van Jo.

I don't have a fixed bed but if I did, I'd use a duvet rather than sleeping bags. Just think you'll be able to lay in bed watching the tv! LOL

Lisa x

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
thanks i have had a quick look on there its expensive but i want the correct sheet.

i think i might get a king size quilt so we can swiss roll like we do at home. i have seen the quilt cover and pillow cases i want that goes with the colours of the seating and its only

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Double size quilt and we got the summer and winter quilt which is an 11 tog and a 4 tog so you have the option of either one singly or both together for the cold winter nights. Regarding sheets we have standard double sheets and the bottom (fitted ) one just tucks under where the cut of is at the bottom of the mattress.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
thanks del, i think after your advice ill just get a normal fitted sheet. im not a perfectionist on making the bed some of my friends are. as long as it looks snug, fixed bed mmmmmmmm i cant wait.

jo-anne

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we got a Northern Nights down double duvet its very light but warm in winter if its really cold leave the heating on low,we altered our bottom sheet to a corner just pinned it taut on the corner and sewed it up its not perfect but only cost about a fiver.We only have one but if we're away two weeks theres always a laundrette somewhere

G

We use the '2 duvet' trick, one summer weight and one winter weight. One on the bottom and one on top depending on the temperature. There is no need for sheets as you just throw them on. Yes, the corner hangs over the cut off on the mattress but as it does not get anywhere near the floor we don't worry about it.

The only thing you need to wash are the duvet covers, which is pretty easy even on a long trip.

As for sizes, our bed is 4ft 8 inches wide at the top and 6ft 6 inches long, so a normal 4ft 6inch double works fine.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We always use duvets, and we put an old kingsize one over the cushions under the bottom sheet, which helps to smooth out the 'joins' between the various caravan cushions.

Sleeping bags AND duvets for deepest winter though as they are much warmer.

Sep 18, 2007
Visit site
HI WE HAVE A FIXED BED WE USE A DOUBLE QUILT & A FITTED DOUBLE SHEET. I CUT THE CORNER OFF THE ONE END AS ITS THEN THE SAME SHAPE AS THE BED I THEN TURNED THE COVER INSIDE OUT & SEWED THE CORNER IN TO THE SAME AMOUNT

Feb 14, 2007
Visit site
Earlier this year i bought a duvalay. this is a memory foam mattress topper with a duvet attached along one side. Both parts in zipped removable washable covers, it has the advantages of both a sleeping bag and a duvet. doesn't fall off during the night. We were away for almost 4 weeks this summer and it was easy to wash the covers in our portable twin tub. Slightly bulky to store but rolls up. I put mine at the front window end of the seating next to the chest of drawers. Not cheap but definitely worth the money. For me it has made my caravan bed as confortable as my bed at home and made caravanning even more enjoyable. duvet can be changed for a summer or winter weight. most certainly the best caravanning accesory we have ever bought. I have also used it on the floor at home for visiting teenagers.

See the website below - no I don't work for them!

http://www.raskelf.com/duvalay.htm

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I too have a duvalay and agree with everything Wendy says. It has made the difference between making the bed tolerable and not being so, before I bought it. Highly recommended.

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
I think if you've got a fixed bed, it's going to be made up all the time, surely? Therefore, it's got to be a fitted sheet/duvet.

If, like me, you don't have a fixed bed, then sleeping bags are the best answer. No hassle with sheets. Easy to sort out. Warm and snug too.

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
I totally agree that the two duvets on each bed are the way to go. We have a twin dinette caravan and trying to put on a fitted sheet each time we made the beds was my biggest hate. Its far more easy to throw on a duvet to lay on with one pulled over you. I can't wait until the kids a a bit older so we can buy a fixed bed model. I guy in our company has developed with his wife a duvet that zips together in panels, so you can unzip and fit the panels into your washing machine, great I thought if we spilled any wine etc while we were away. Still waiting for info from him, but the price will never get near what you can buy a couple of duvets from your local supermarket.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Alexander,

We dont have single beds but if you use a double duvet folded it in half down the length, it would be just like an un zipped sleeping bag, the added bonus that the top would not slide off the bed.

Just a thought,

Graham W.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bill

Have just replied about this product to Jo-anne under specific heading, which might help you.

Have just thought if you are going to the NEC show, they usually have a stand so you could try the product.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts