Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi, has anyone with a fixed bed where the headboard is across the rear of the van experienced problems with condensation on the headboard and in the rear corner walls? We were away last weekend and the walls were quite damp along with the pillows where they had been in contact. The headboard was also affected and I am worried about its effect on the mattress. Has anyone else experienced this and , if so, have you found a solution?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Susan

I'm on my 2nd fixxed bed , no problems. I think it will be prudent if you have a professional damp test carried first to establish if the structure is leaking.

What make , model year do you have?

Cheers

Dustydog

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
the problem i had was on a new sterling elite side fixed bed side washroom. there was condensation in the cupboards above the bed. after a few days it was okay. i think it was cos it was new. the caravan went back cos it was faulty in other ways and we now own a wyoming which there have been no conden problems apart from the ali windows.

jo

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We have no problems with condensation around our fixed bed - but we do have some of those 'spacer boards' on both the outside corner walls, which I'm sure makes a difference.

Perhaps if you don't have the spacer boards between the wall and the mattress you could think about fitting some.

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi again. We could have a damp test done but the condensation was on the headboard and the washroom wall as well - I would have felt it was more the structure if it had only been down the join of the back and side walls. We have a Swift Safari (dealer special)- nearside fixed bed/offside washroom - new in May 2009 so haven't experienced a winter with it yet. We do also have the spacer boards, but the 'wooden' part of the headboard is fixed directly to the back wall. I admit it was a very wet weekend but am still somewhat worried about the amount of condensation. Thanks everyone for your replies - it seems we may have a problem.

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi again. We could have a damp test done but the condensation was on the headboard and the washroom wall as well - I would have felt it was more the structure if it had only been down the join of the back and side walls. We have a Swift Safari (dealer special)- nearside fixed bed/offside washroom - new in May 2009 so haven't experienced a winter with it yet. We do also have the spacer boards, but the 'wooden' part of the headboard is fixed directly to the back wall. I admit it was a very wet weekend but am still somewhat worried about the amount of condensation. Thanks everyone for your replies - it seems we may have a problem.
Hi Susan

We are not aware of a problem with condensation forming around the fixed bed however it is unlikely that it is due to a water leak of some kind.

As you know condensation will form when warm air reacts with cold surfaces creating water droplets which can happen at this time of year with the cold temperatures and damp air we are experiencing.

If you are experiencing high levels of condensation you will need to ensure that sufficient air flow / ventilation is present within the van. (Unblocked vents / windows in night time positions).

If you wish to receive further information please feel free to email me at technicalsupport@swiftleisure.co.uk

Thanks

Dave

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Susan

We are not aware of a problem with condensation forming around the fixed bed however it is unlikely that it is due to a water leak of some kind.

As you know condensation will form when warm air reacts with cold surfaces creating water droplets which can happen at this time of year with the cold temperatures and damp air we are experiencing.

If you are experiencing high levels of condensation you will need to ensure that sufficient air flow / ventilation is present within the van. (Unblocked vents / windows in night time positions).

If you wish to receive further information please feel free to email me at technicalsupport@swiftleisure.co.uk

Thanks

Dave

G

As Swift have stated you will always get condensation when air hits a surface of different temperature. Switching off the heating system on a cold night and it is amazing/disappointing how rapidly the van cools off, but not if you look at it realistically.

Although you may feel your van is 'insulated' in reality it is not that efficient. Although the walls and roof are insulated, and the floor is a thick piece of chipboard there are holes all over the place. Each skylight has permanent openings and even the windows are not really the same as your domestic double glazing. They have 2 panels but no vacuum, or gas filling. Many UK vans also have poorly installed refrigerators, and the air can easily enter from around the unit. Your heater also is fitted to the floor, but there is no guarantee is is fully sealed around the base as the hole is precut. You may also have cold air coming up around your shower waste. Sorry, but that is the way they make 'em.

Your fixed bed headboard is located directly under a window in all probability, so any cold air entering there will hit the warm wood, and condense.

Unfortunately, your best answer is to keep the heating running in very cold weather, so the van continually heats any cold air entering. Of course, if you use gas your addition to the carbon foorprint will not endear you to the Greens.

Apr 26, 2007
Visit site
we don't have a bed with the headboard on the rear wall of the van but our bed is to one side of the van, when we first used it in the winter I noticed condensation on the sidewall in the mornings and also on the locker door under the bed. We cured the problem by fitting an electric green house tubular heater under the bed close to the side wall ensuring it can't be covered, this immediately cured the problem by warming the total underbed area aswell as the cold surfaces of the sidewall. we use our caravan virtually fulltime but allways have the heat on at 1000w setting and plenty of ventilation, if you get to hot open a vent/window don't turn the heat down. we also fitted an electric towel rail in the washroom,I have also extended the blown air system to cover the area below the front window's which was another problem area. Our damp test readings have never been above 10-15% at services and I can't remember the last time I saw condensation in here.....Mark

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We have a fixed island bed with the headboard on the back wall. No window above it. Never had any damp probs like yours although we don't tend to use the Van in cold weather much

Weather has been especially wet recently so I imagine the air contains a lot of moisture which may want to condense somewhere, add to that any moisture generated from cooking in the van and possibly damp coats and clothes drying and of course even breathing over night right next to the headboard generated water vapour.

We have floor vents in our Van in the rear corners in the wardrobes but I doubt these generate much air circulation, so I can see that if you don't leave the heater blowers on overnight the cold damp air could stagnate in one area condensing on the walls.

I think I'd go along with Scotch lad and keep the heater on low with the blower moving the air around.

Oh and perhaps breath as little as possible :)

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We had this problem and your biggest culprit is gas which is why it is never a good idea to buy a caravan where the owner has used gas a lot for heating, i.e. on rallies etc.

We cured the problem in our Lunar 640 by moving the heating ducts to the very rear of the caravan so that they vented out on each side of the bed. By leaving the "wardrobe" doors slightly ajat stopped all the condensation. We prefer electric heating also as it dries out the air and is better for someone suffering from asthma.

Another way to cure it is to have draught boards fitted but I am sure that any manufacturer would have thought of this anyway as it is quite common in caravans with fixed beds where the fixed bed is on the rear wall.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Susan

I realy dont think you need worry as you said it was a damp weekend anyway so you will have damp air in van.I think summer time we sleep with roof lights open maybe windows ajar and we seldom use the gas heater so any air is warm and dry.Cold weather is a different thing although with the heater on the air is warm it is also ladden with moisture ie from our breathing ,from the gas heater and from our bodies at night.Settled in bed as snug as a bug in a rug any warm air will quickly turn to moisture hence the condensation in the bed erea.The extra boards now fitted to most new vans and several older ones help but dont guarentee a damp free night as condensation can form between the board and the cold wall just you cant feel it.The Wyoming we had didnt have the boards and late season caravanning was usely met by damp patches in the mornning but soon dried with doors and windows open .The new California we have has the boards and up to now its ok but no realy cold wet weather as of yet.I hope this puts your mind at rest and i feel sure problems will go away once weather warms up.By the way early caravans used to have so much condensation under the mattress in a morning we used to stand them outside to dry .Do you shower in van as this and leaving kettles boiling can cause lots of condensation .

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi thanks to everyone for your answers. We did have the heating on during the night but on electricity and, although we do at times shower in the van, we didn't actually do so that weekend. It was a very wet weekend though as I've said so we will see what happens when we are out again in a couple of weeks. Perhaps we need more ventilation but I don't fancy putting the larger window that is positioned down the side of the bed on vent - coward I know! The greenhouse heater may be worth thinking about too. So, thanks again for your help. Sue

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Susan,

Having caravanned through the winter for quite a few years with fixed bed caravans, i would expect your problem to be ventilation/heat settings.

I always have the kitchen window on the night catch,and one other window towards the rear of the caravan on the night catch.

I never use the blown air.due to my wife having an eye problem. I leave the fire on electric on 1KW with the thermastsat turned to max. If the nightime temp is around or below freezing i switch the fire onto 2KW and adjust thermastat.

Sometimes i put the sunroof on the night catch rather than turn the heating down.

I never have condensation and neither do caravanning friends who use the same method.

Keeping all the windows shut and turning the heating down ,in my experience in cold damp weather,is a recipe for condensation.

I have met people on Caravan Club sites in winter with condensation. Wthin 24 hours of following the above sdvice --no condensation. I was given the advice a good few years ago by a Caravan Club friend.

Also if you cook in your caravan in winter, put your extractor fan on before you start cooking and leave it on for a couple of minutes after cooking.

Also in cold damp weather do not leave the caravan door open longer than necersary.

I also shower in the site facilities in winter, never in the caravan, although i know people who do and if they follow the guidelines mostly get away with no condensation.

Also leave the heating on 24/7.

Hamer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts