FIXED ISLAND BED

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
Complete novice but looking at early retirement with hubby and want to travel Europe as "gap" year.Looking at fixed Island bed caravans, apart from lack of space are there any pitfalls and is anybody happy with a particular model. We have considered Luna Lexon 585 SI and Bailey senator Virginia. Any advice welcome

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Carolyn.

We have a Coachman Laser 650/4 and, while we have had issues with the van fault-wise and the dealer repair-wise,the layout is terrific.

The bedroom is ensuite at night and closed off during the day leaving a well provided galley and lounge with ample room for the two of us (the dog stays in the awning).

It is superbly comfortable and does everything that we wanted from a caravan.

It will be home from home this winter in Spain and,with the exception of fuel costs, I'm really looking forward to towing it for that distance as it handles beautifully on all road conditions.

For touring Europe,however,I would recommend you get a good quality motor mover.

Regards,Dave

Nov 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Carolyn.

We have a Coachman Laser 650/4 and, while we have had issues with the van fault-wise and the dealer repair-wise,the layout is terrific.

The bedroom is ensuite at night and closed off during the day leaving a well provided galley and lounge with ample room for the two of us (the dog stays in the awning).

It is superbly comfortable and does everything that we wanted from a caravan.

It will be home from home this winter in Spain and,with the exception of fuel costs, I'm really looking forward to towing it for that distance as it handles beautifully on all road conditions.

For touring Europe,however,I would recommend you get a good quality motor mover.

Regards,Dave
Hi we will be europe newbies. why do you recommend a mover?

May 25, 2008
Visit site
We have a TA Bessacarr which in our opinion is well built for extended living. Fixed Bed and en suite. TA does give you more room for extended living, but I have never met anyone who has big issues with the Virginia.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
We have the island bed layout in the Swift Conqueror 645. I can't recommend highly enough. The layout is fantastic, you can tour all year round, two full single beds at the front, full size shower. Its luxurious and comfortable - wonderful bedroom. When you do your comparisons, make sure you check out the double bed sizes - they really do vary, and some are very small.

Good luck in your new caravan!

Lois

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi we will be europe newbies. why do you recommend a mover?
Hi Tigger.

Simply for ease of maneuvering the van onto the pitch and onto the hitch. Most fixed-island bed vans are twin axles and almost impossible to turn by hand if there are only the two of you.

And those that are only single axle, are still on the heavy side when kitted out to tour Europe.

It's personal choice, but I would strongly recommend a mover.

Dave

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi Carolyn,

We have the Lunar Lexon 585SI which we bought at the NEC last year. We love it, have had no faults and been to France and Spain this year. I would have liked a seperate bathroom but we did not want a Twin Axle but to be honest the Lunar works fine, shower is great. Loads of cupboard space and comfortable furniture. We like the sliding sunroof too. And the bed is really comfortable. Cant think of anything wrong about it at all.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
hi we have a Lunar Lexon 640 island bed , with shower in the middle to the right and opposite is the toilet and wash basin ,and large parrallel seating at the front ,its a lovely van , but i must admit that i would prefer the Senator Wyoming , but the wife likes the Lunar , any way carolyn why didnt you want a twin axle ,

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
hi we have a Lunar Lexon 640 island bed , with shower in the middle to the right and opposite is the toilet and wash basin ,and large parrallel seating at the front ,its a lovely van , but i must admit that i would prefer the Senator Wyoming , but the wife likes the Lunar , any way carolyn why didnt you want a twin axle ,
Hi Joby, doubtful about TA as would need bigger car 4x4 with xtra running costs and as we are taking early retirement need to watch cash but agree a TA layout ticks all the boxes. Havent swapped car yet so maybe....

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi Toby, doubtful re TA as would need bigger car 4x4 with added running costs and as taking early retirement need to watch cash, otherwise agree that TA layout ticks all the boxes. havent swapped car yet though so maybe ....

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
our cousin tows his T/A with a Seat Alhambra its got the body weight and has more power ,and is more economical than our Nissan Terrano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts