Fixed or make-up?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Darranna said:
Raywood said:
We have the best of both worlds in that we have a standard lounge at the front and what looks to be a fixed bed to the rear but which will convert into another lounge if we have a lot of people round or the grand children need somewhere to play. The layout was offered by Swift, Eldiss and Lunar but seems to have gone now and the Unicorn Madrid is the nearest I can find.
You see plenty of them about and most people like them once they try them but sales must have been too low for them to stay on the books. The downside is the number of cushions needed to make up the rear bed and we do need a king sized sheet to hold it all together.

This is the format we would have preferred but unfortunately the overall length was a bit to long for the vans parking space. Our next van will van two singles on each side and the washroom at the rear.

And a bike rack on the rear !! :p

LMAO

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Fixed bed, first one was a Stering back bed, 2nd a Coachman 545 with Island bed, didnt bond with it now Coachman 560 side bed, and I don't mind the climb over, gives me a chance tto get another glass of water.

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Had make up, side fixed land and now islsnd fixed and would never go back to either of the previous.

And we can get our fairly large chairs under it, it's all about the angle of attack.

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Last two vans had fixed doubles, always climbing over each other during night to get to loo. Changed last year to Pegasus Rimini with fixed twin beds. Best nights sleep ever.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Made up and side dinette for us. Don't spend all day in bed, and it takes 5 minutes tops to make the bed.
Fixed = total waste of space as far as we are concerned.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
One aspect of this debate that has not been covered so far is the composition of the seat/mattress itself.
Surely a seat that has to double as a mattress is composed of different materials/structure than a mattress that is only ever used as a mattress. Also a mattress doesn't have an joints that exist when seat "parts" are made up into a bed. I know some folks use a mattress topper to overcome this problem but then where do you store it?
In my (humble) opinion a fixed bed wins every time!
Mike

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Should have added .... I'm 6 foot 3. Our made up bed is 6 foot 8 by five foot ten.
Find me a fixed bed that size and I might consider it.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Good point made by mikes as we had a mattress topper and like you said it is quite thick and storing it takes up the bottom part of one of our cupboards otherwise we just put a sheet over the top off the cushions and that normally does us

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Fixed for last 12 years. Not going back B)
SWMBO climbs over me. No problem :evil:

In my case she slides round past my feet and wrecks the bed. it does make me think we might look at an island bed next time.

Jul 17, 2008
clogcaravanlog.blogspot.com
A year ago, my answer would have been Make Up but after buying a brand-new Lunar Clubman ES this year to replace our old and trusty Lunar Freelander 2000, I'd have to change my mind to FIXED

They're both the same layout (front make up beds with kitchen bunk beds) but the Freelander was so much easier to make up the front beds e.g.
1. Fold flap up over sink
2. Raise bed with cushions and mattresses still on and remove Duvalays & pillows and put front arm rests in centre aisle
3. Place Duvalays & pillows on bed and pull out centre slats from front to back and put back cushions on.
4. Finished

Clubman ES?
1. Raise drop down flap as bed won't raise as the cushions are in the way
2. Remove back cushions and mattresses which are too thick and unwieldy as they're thicker than the span of my hands
3. Lift bedding locker, remove Duvalays & pillows, put 'L' shape arm rests in bedding locker as they are too high to go in centre aisle
4. Place Duvalays & pillows on bed, pull out centre slats side to middle and stuff back cushions above slats. Take off again as the motion of stuffing the cushions on have now partially retracted the slats. – I use a bungee cord to keep them in place now.
5. Finished

What used to be a 2-minute one person job has now become a 5-minute two person job.
….. and don’t get me started on the bunk bed base cushions :angry:

Style and appearance has thrown practicality out of the window!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
YorkieF said:
A year ago, my answer would have been Make Up but after buying a brand-new Lunar Clubman ES this year to replace our old and trusty Lunar Freelander 2000, I'd have to change my mind to FIXED

They're both the same layout (front make up beds with kitchen bunk beds) but the Freelander was so much easier to make up the front beds e.g.
1. Fold flap up over sink
2. Raise bed with cushions and mattresses still on and remove Duvalays & pillows and put front arm rests in centre aisle
3. Place Duvalays & pillows on bed and pull out centre slats from front to back and put back cushions on.
4. Finished

Clubman ES?
1. Raise drop down flap as bed won't raise as the cushions are in the way
2. Remove back cushions and mattresses which are too thick and unwieldy as they're thicker than the span of my hands
3. Lift bedding locker, remove Duvalays & pillows, put 'L' shape arm rests in bedding locker as they are too high to go in centre aisle
4. Place Duvalays & pillows on bed, pull out centre slats side to middle and stuff back cushions above slats. Take off again as the motion of stuffing the cushions on have now partially retracted the slats. – I use a bungee cord to keep them in place now.
5. Finished

What used to be a 2-minute one person job has now become a 5-minute two person job.
….. and don’t get me started on the bunk bed base cushions :angry:

Style and appearance has thrown practicality out of the window!

Yorkie ,
I could have had my bed made by the time I have read your post ha ha !!
:p :lol:
Craig

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts