Fixed or make-up?

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone!

A quick question – one-word answers only (unless you want to post more!). Which do you prefer in your caravan, fixed beds or make-up beds?

Get posting... Thanks!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When we sold our fixed bed we didn't anticipate having another caravan. However when we decided to buy another one after a three year gap we looked at fixed beds but opted for a non fixed bed as we preferred the overall layout and extra space during the day.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Fixed.
It comes with compromises the worst being a long heavy van, but on the plus side, with it, my wife is happy to come away with me.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We make ours up , takes about 10 minutes , but if you wanted to like Woodlands said we could just use the single seats which are long enough to accommodate us if we can't be bothered , it all depends on people's situations , kids or no kids !

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Fixed.
Will compromise on everything else, but not the fixed bed.
Tried the make up version. Never again.
Mel

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Previous van (13 years ago) was fixed bed, Current van recently purchased (used) also has a fixed although our preference was to have two dinettes, one at each end, but the vans in that format were to long to fit in its space, alongside the house. :(

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Make up,I don't mind it,but the wife can't wait for a fixed bed,centre wash.Have to wait a few years though.We've got a side dinette 4berth and it suits us at the moment,kids(12 and 14) sleep in awning most of time and if weather bad or don't take awning they use dinette bunks.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Fixed.
We've had caravans when we started with made up beds but we'd never go back now.
The climb over doesn't affect us because I'm five foot three and my other half is four feet seven tall which leaves plenty of space at the end of our fixed nearside bed.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Swift Challenger single axle with fixed Island bed at end of caravan, with wardrobes each side and cupboards over and a central washroom. We make the bed up with sheets and a duvet before leaving home and it's very easy to remake each morning, as you can get around each side of the bed. No disturbance to the other sleeping person either, if you get up in the night. We would never go back to making beds up each night again.
We start our caravanning in March and use it every month, through to October, so we use it fully for 8 months of the year and we don't caravan over winter. Having slightly less space at the front doesn't bother us, as we are usually out every day and would rather have the convenience of having the bed already made up and ready to get into late at night. Using a full size awning doubles our space too, so we don't feel cramped at all.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
As said earlier "Fixed" for us, one main reason being I rise earlier so can get quietly out of the way to the other side of our solid sliding partion and we are both happy.
Our vans have meant there is rarely a "climb over" need, I am the one with night time visits and rising issues, my wife has her cosy corner which she really likes.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have the best of both worlds in that we have a standard lounge at the front and what looks to be a fixed bed to the rear but which will convert into another lounge if we have a lot of people round or the grand children need somewhere to play. The layout was offered by Swift, Eldiss and Lunar but seems to have gone now and the Unicorn Madrid is the nearest I can find.
You see plenty of them about and most people like them once they try them but sales must have been too low for them to stay on the books. The downside is the number of cushions needed to make up the rear bed and we do need a king sized sheet to hold it all together.

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Raywood said:
We have the best of both worlds in that we have a standard lounge at the front and what looks to be a fixed bed to the rear but which will convert into another lounge if we have a lot of people round or the grand children need somewhere to play. The layout was offered by Swift, Eldiss and Lunar but seems to have gone now and the Unicorn Madrid is the nearest I can find.
You see plenty of them about and most people like them once they try them but sales must have been too low for them to stay on the books. The downside is the number of cushions needed to make up the rear bed and we do need a king sized sheet to hold it all together.

This is the format we would have preferred but unfortunately the overall length was a bit to long for the vans parking space. Our next van will van two singles on each side and the washroom at the rear.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Darranna said:
Raywood said:

This is the format we would have preferred but unfortunately the overall length was a bit to long for the vans parking space. Our next van will van two singles on each side and the washroom at the rear.

Ours has that layout and that is why we went away from fixed to a twin dinette five berth and at 6.5 m long I can store it at home which is a decided advantage.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Darranna said:
Raywood said:

And a bike rack on the rear !! :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts