fixed singles

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Our second van is a nice Elddis Odyssey two berth.
My wife's been hankering after a fixed twin bed layout to suit us.

We came very close to splashing out £10K to change :blink: when we realised something, there's virtually no level surfaces to do anything on! Little draining board is about the only work surface, nowhere to put TV on, Kettle, books/papers, food preparation, they're all cupboards and beds.

I reckon we'll put up with making a bed up each night, far less hassle (and savings of £10K :)

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Never fancied a fixed bed due to loss of room.

We have a old caravan that gives us room to prepare food a lot of caravaners only use them for sleeping and not cooking.

Trevor

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Have a fixed bed. Love it, Love it, Love it. I would balance toast on my nose to make up for the lack of work surface, rather than give up the bed.

Thank the Lord we are not all the same.
mel

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
We have twin fixed beds in our Clubman SB. We love it and if/ when we change it we who'll definitely have the same layout again.

Les

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
As soon as you go for a fixed bed layout your caravan is 6ft longer and that much heavier.
...........It is horses for courses!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Our last van was a fixed bed, couldnt wait to see the back of it. Have gone back to side dinette/rear bathroom.
I dont think its a coincidence that at every dealer you vist, there are 9 used vans out of every 10 with a fixed bed of some sort.
We picked ours I had a serious back injury, and thought it would suit me better. I would gladly have swapped it for a bed of nails :cheer:

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
As soon as you go for a fixed bed layout your caravan is 6ft longer and that much heavier.
...........It is horses for courses!

carper2 said:
Our Van is 7.3m and has an MTPLM of 1440. Which is a lightweight Van.

Les

......my van is 4.67 metres internal 6.17 external and has a MTPLM of 1150kgs including a 200kgs payload.
...... and the made up double bed size is 6ft 6inches by 5ft with the front chest of drawers in place.

...... as I say horses for courses :)

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
We had a fixed bed but it did not last long as everything seemed to be crammed into the front of the van. We now have a twin lounge which gives the option of leaving one end made up as two single or a double or leaving the space as living area but there are not many twin lounge vans on the market now days

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't have a fixed bed while we still have the kids with us. We even turned the side dinette into a lovely long work surface by moving the table to the side and adding an old picnic table top on brackets. It gives me loads of space for prepping and the microwave, but can still be used as a bed. :cheer:

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I've just been looking at an Adria Altea Severn. it could easily be converted to a fixed twin with generous sized beds too. It has a MTPLM of 1300kgs too!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Having got afixed bed well not quite it will convert to a second lounge we love it and only 0.2 metres longer and only 1350 MTPLM which is less than before.

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Raywood said:
Having got afixed bed well not quite it will convert to a second lounge we love it and only 0.2 metres longer and only 1350 MTPLM which is less than before.

:huh: Is this a severn you're quoting? The book says 2014 is 1300 and 2015 is 1400kg. ???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mick,

It all depends on which 'book' your referring to. The only book I would rely on would be the manufacturers, All other books, just like all online or other data bases, they can contain errors or omissions.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
We have an end dinette which gives us a 4' 6" bed when made up. We simply leave it made up and remove the cushions to replace them with a spare double mattress from home. We can close it off if we need to and still have seating area (usually needed in the UK) and kitchen when we want them. Ideal for us!
Jo
PS The dogs get the seating area, which is equal to 2 single beds - we never make that up to a "double".

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello there,
Changes our van from 2 berth end washroom, convert sofas unit to a twin fixed singles unit. In some respects it is better not having to make up beds each night. On the other hand I do not feel the unit is as comfortable as the two berth unit, and the new one lacks a window in the washroom which is not as warm as it could be due to the Alde central heating system as against the old blown air. However as someone else has said it is always horses for courses.
There are pros and cons on everything and like many other things the perfect caravan has not yet been made.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We have a Coachman with twin beds. It is long! We can sit six at the front- in reality all slimmish. Preparing food is easy, serving it is harder and more than 2 plates would need the dining table, but we are usually just 2. Beds are wonderfully comfortable and at 6ft 2ins I just fit in. Bathroom is large with good sized shower. The van feels spacious and is very light. The advantages- no bed making, no disturbing partner in night, wife who is short can reach all overhead cupboards , I can move round without catching anything with my shoulders, plenty of storage. Disadvantages- length and weight,hard work juggling more than 2 plates, two duvet covers to iron.

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
we love our island bed , we used to go to Spain every Xmas and new year , staying for 2 months at a time and making the bed 50 odd times soon gets on your nerves , although we don't do that now , but the majority of our trips are never less than 7 nights , but if just doing weekends and the odd week in the summer its probably not feasible for some , but I would never go back to making up beds every night

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We've got the 3 fixed bunks at the back for the kids and a sitting area for them-and our double bed takes less than 5 minutes to set up and put away where the larger dining area is . Love it !

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We might have gone for the twin lounge layout if there had been any when we bought our caravan but could not find any. True to form just after we got ours Lunar brought out a Quasar using this layout. Time will tell how it sells but if it does expect every other firm to bring one out.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We might have gone for the twin lounge layout if we could have found one but none available that we could find until we bought our new caravan then Lunar brought out a Quasar that fitted the bill. Time will tell if this sells but if it does then next year everyone will bring one out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts