Fixing Satellite Dish

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
After a previous post which involved the mention of a satellite dish for the caravan,I must admit I am tempted to do away with the "stand alone" ariel and purchase one.Could anyone give me some more info please?
Firstly,if I wanted to fix it to the jockey wheel(on a pole)would i require any further fixings than is included in the box?
Secondly,I do have a signal finder(LED lights),would this be ok to use to find relevant satellites and tune the TV in?
I notice that B&Q have a satellite system in a box for sale and may go and have a look at it tomorrow.
Many thanks.
Adrian

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
GeorgeandAde said:
Firstly,if I wanted to fix it to the jockey wheel(on a pole)would i require any further fixings than is included in the box?
Hi Adrian,
I don't know what is " in the box" so couldn't comment on that but please bear in mind that if you plan it fitting the dish at the front of the van in place of the jockey wheel you could run into problems getting a line of sight to the satellite. You are limited to posiitoning your dish to that one location. Consider using a tripod type mount which gives you more flexibility in where you can position it. This gives you an advantage on pitches where you might have trees around you or where, if using the jockey wheel location, your dish needed to point directly at your van. Disadvantages of the movable stand is that it's not as secure and might need pegged down with guy ropes in windy conditions.
Try ebay for dishes and stands.
Robert

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ade
I've been using a Maxview tripod and dish for 8 years now with no problems.
Some people have converted washing line tripods or even made their own.
Before we set off to a site we always make sure where SE is so can pick a pitch that is likely to have a good line of site.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Ditto to dustydog. with a satellite dish you always know in which direction to poiint the dish. For more details see http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Well......took the plunge and purchased one from B&Q this morning.
Its made by Tristar and looks pretty impressive.
Just a couple of questions though.
1.I understand that I should be looking for the "28.2E Astra Satellite"and without being able to find the "Elevation/Azimuth"that I should basically start pointing it at the east and then slowly move it towards south until the TV screen shows a strong signal?
2.Which way up does the LNB have to be.There are no markings on the actual LNB but I would imagine that the cable has to come out from the bottom which would determine which way is the right way up?
The reason I ask is that www.dishpointer.com states that the LNB should be set at -14.6degrees and unless its the right way round,I have difficulty in finding the correct alignment.
3.When I have the "System Installation Menu" on the screen,I go to the "Antenna Settings"and number 6 states that the "22k" should be set to "off"
However this is "greyed out" and I cannot change this from its present setting which is "on".
I think if I can get past these few problems,I should be ok.
Will take it out into the garden tomorrow when its dry and try again.
Any help appreciated though please.
Thank you.
Adrian

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi Adrian.

I bought this system a couple of days ago too.

The LNB needs the cable connection facing downwards. I found that when trying to get a good signal, the Strength indicator was reasonably good, but I couldnt get anything very good on the quality indicator until I actually pressed 'search'.

Im very happy with it for the money. My LNB is not set at any angles, and my dish is almost vertical instead of being angled at the 20 odd degrees specified. Maybe Ive just been lucky, but I just pointed it at approx south east, and moved it around a bit until I got the strongest signal

Rick

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ade
Follow Surfer's advice and look at http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/. David Sullivan will answer all your questions.
An LNB, certainly if using a Sky box, has to be fitted in accordance with the recommended Skew angle. You seem to have this data.In my case the LNB cable outputs do not point down vertically but an approx 15 deg angle. Hence your 14.?? reading I suspect.
Angles of elevation are strange animals. Firstly they assume your dish and tripod start perfectly level. In Sutherland for example my dish is nearly pointing into the ground whilst Cornwall is circa 25 degs. Different bits of equipment will behave differently so I can only quote my Maxview's performance.
It's very easy to lose patience when you try so hard and can't get a signal. Leave it alone, have a beer or cuppa then return. The line of site is important but you'd be surprised where you can obtain a perfect signal with a gentle hand eg Morvich CC site
Remember, your dish is not like an aeriel and does not respond immediately. Change its direction in 1 deg stages waiting say 10 secs.
Once you have mastered your own system ,it just gets easier and easier.
smiley-cool.gif

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
GeorgeandAde said:
3.When I have the "System Installation Menu" on the screen,I go to the "Antenna Settings"and number 6 states that the "22k" should be set to "off"
However this is "greyed out" and I cannot change this from its present setting which is "on".

22Khz is the low / high band switching tone, if should defiantly be on.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The thing to remember also that once your on the satellite,you can put the box on the signal strength screen and adjust the skew of the lnb to maximise the strength / quality by twisting the lnb in its clamp bit at a time to see if signal rises or falls,the same thing you do with the dish.Basically,as you move further west or east you go ,the greater the skew.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts