Fixing solar panel to caravan roof

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've had a couple of requests for instructions on how I fixed my 80watt solar panel to the roof of our caravan and hard wired it into the charging circuit of our Abbey Vogue 620 but it's been removed from the forum over time so I'll re-post it here.
After choosing a solar panel, the correct automotive cable, a cable entry housing gland and a solar voltage regulator ( sometimes called a solar controller) it's time to decide where the panel will be mounted. A hole has to be cut into the roof of the caravan so ensure that there are no lighting cables in between the inner roof surface and the outer, it's best to try to enter the solar cable where there is a chance of concealing it.
When the hole has been cut it's time to prepare the roof surface to mount and bond the solar panel.
P1030313_zpsa666d01c.jpg

Use masking tape as a guide and remove the shine from the bonding surface using fine emery cloth.
P1030314.jpg

Use white spirit to thoroughly clean the bonding area and follow with a cloth dipped in methylated spirit to remove any oily residue.
P1030317_zpsc9ecff2a.jpg

Add a double bead of Sikaflex 512 to each side of the mounting frame or bracket using a mastic gun, apply liberally.
P1030318_zps5d2193aa.jpg

Press the frame down onto the pre-marked clean bonding area of the roof, gently lift slightly and press down again in order to spread the Sikaflex bond, The excess Sikaflex will squeeze from the sides of the joint, this can easily be cleaned and smoothed using a plastic scraper and the white spirit.
P1030320_zps694aa3e1.jpg

Feed the exterior cable through the cable entry housing gland and use a rubber cable grommet with a slit cut into it for a completely watertight seal for the cable entry hole. There'll be lots of Sikaflex remaining so use some to seal the cable entry hole and around the rubber grommet, this can be a bit messy but it's worth doing.
P1030321_zps60c04184.jpg

Seal the entry gland cable entry holes after tightening them and run a bead around the edge of the cable housing gland to mount it to the roof.
P1030328.jpg

When you have finished on the roof leave the panel bond to set, I gave mine 48 hours in warm weather but refer to the Sikaflex instructions.
P1030332_zpsac76e9b0.jpg

The solar cable enters via the wardrobe roof (top of picture) and is joined to automotive cable via a 20a cable connector and a 20Amp fuse, this is hidden behind the cable conceal panel in the wardrobe. I used a short length of cable trunking to reach the entry point for the false bottom of the overhead kitchen lockers.
P1030311_zps1039db85.jpg

Try to route the solar input cable so that it's hidden from view, on our Abbey the overhead lockers have false bottoms which hold the 12v lighting cable and that for the 230v sockets. The solar feed fitted in nicely
P1030307_zps1f2bb2bf.jpg

From the overhead lockers the cable went behind the kitchen 230v socket mount board and behind the fridge.
P1030306_zps6851122c.jpg

Rather than fiddle about behind the fridge I drilled through to the cabinet, fished the solar cable through and used a length of matching brown cable conduit left from inside the wardrobe(from B&Q) to take the solar cable down to the floor locker where the solar voltage regulator is mounted.
P1030329_zpsc8471fcb.jpg

Leave an air gap between the regulator and the floor to assist cooling and use another 20a automotive fuse to connect to a Sargent solar connector which connects directly to the charging circuit if you own a Swift caravan.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Parky,
Did you fit an inverter at the same time of your installation, I'm looking at which roof mounted kit to buy and will only need the TV and fridge to be powered by the Solar panel, I already have suitable access from the roof because the guy who had the van before had a sat dish fitted and left the cables in place, I'm looking at something in the range of 55 watt,

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There's no chance of a 55 watt solar panel powering your fridge, it's much easier to run it on LPG which it will be equipped to do.
I bought a plug in inverter from Argos to run the TV for very limited periods, basically just the news and weather forecast.
I think that you m be wasting your time fitting a 55 watt solar panel for anything other than trickle charging your leisure battery.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A 150 watt panel will supply enough charge to run the caravan 12 volt systems almost indefinitely in the lighter summer months, especially if you fit LED 12volt light bulbs and use a 12 volt television set.
You still wouldn't run a 230volt fridge from solar power though.
Look for a MPPT solar regulator to maximise the efficiency of the solar panel.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Parksy said:
A 150 watt panel will supply enough charge to run the caravan 12 volt systems almost indefinitely in the lighter summer months, especially if you fit LED 12volt light bulbs and use a 12 volt television set.
You still wouldn't run a 230volt fridge from solar power though.
Look for a MPPT solar regulator to maximise the efficiency of the solar panel.

Parksy , cheers and thanks for the reply,

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Parksy,
If I have a fully charged Leisure battery and also a spare leisure battery at home, what is simpler than connecting the two batteries when I arrive on site just for three nights on a CL with no EHU and use a inverter for TV, personally I'm not a telly person it's just Sky News and the like,

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
camel said:
Parksy,
If I have a fully charged Leisure battery and also a spare leisure battery at home, what is simpler than connecting the two batteries when I arrive on site just for three nights on a CL with no EHU and use a inverter for TV, personally I'm not a telly person it's just Sky News and the like,
The batteries should easily last for a weekend Camel, it's a lot easier than fitting a solar panel which would be for longer breaks off ehu.
A quick solution if your battery becomes discharged is to remove it from the caravan, connect jump leads to your car battery, run the car engine to let your alternator boost the leisure battery.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Just thinking about my childhood. We used to swap the car battery over each morning before going out for the day. Of course there was a lot less 12v to power then.

The solar panel as Parksy says is ideal for longer stays without EHU. We used to manage 12 months of the year and never with EHU. 55w free standing 100w roof mounted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts