Flags????

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi - am on a lovely site in Devon with fabulous hedged, private pitches and all I can see are a selection of flags towering above them. I think I have missed something - what are the purpose of the flags?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If they are on a pole by the van, its to let the kids find the van, or in my case, find the right van after a few beers. :p

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Homing beacons that can been seen from the site bar. :sick: Gets confusing, for the people, if there are two flags the same colour, pattern makes no difference. :p :p

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Someone on our estate who has a caravan has two very high whip aerials each with a bird of prey kite flying from them. Looks quite novel.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Anything you want to know about flags, just ask me folks.

I've been flagging more and more over my entire lifetime :p

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Ah I knew they'd have a purpose....Definitely not a Devon flag - quite a few England ones, a few bird ones. Now where is that hacksaw????

May 7, 2012
Visit site
On a site last week where they had a Newcastle United flag on top of a pole that flashed coloured lights at night. Never bothered me but not something I would spend money on.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I saw a similar query on a Facebook caravan forum last week which showed a photograph of an idyllic site surrounded by breath-taking scenery, and adjacent to the complainant there was a flagpole complete with a large kite shaped as a giant bird plus a couple of flags attached to the pole.
Some who responded couldn't see what was wrong and others would have taken a hacksaw to the pole.
I have a caravan flagpole, complete with flags and coloured lights but I wouldn't use it on a quiet or scenic site where it was likely to annoy fellow caravanners.
If we attend a rally or a music festival my pole is up there with the flag flying and the lights flashing into the night like everybody else's, but rallies and music festivals are appropriate places for poles, flags and lights.
It all depends what type of site one is staying at and the people around, if flags etc are likely to annoy others or to spoil the views they are best left packed away.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
That's the one,,in a club I used to belong to there was always at least one the wrong way up and if mentioned to them they'd get stroppy and say something like "So What",,one clown even pointed out it was a sign for distress at sea,,on a rugby pitch 60+ miles inland. The chairman of the club even admitted he wouldn't touch it.
I left that club soon afterwards.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
When we were at the Driffield caravan Club ralley in Yorkshire in May we were thinking about getting a flag then , one of the tall ones on the poles , we were going to get a ghost one for Halloween ! There was loads of different ones you could get but in the end we didn't bother !!

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Each to their own and can't see it causes any harm.

Don't have one myself , flags are not my thing, but I do like many of the kites and wind sock designs.

I think they all add a bit of colour and cheeriness to a gathering of caravans; and children like them, if they make kids happy then that is good for me.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
Thingy said:
It still amazes me that people call it the Union Jack. Our own flag and most dont even know its name.

Is it not called the Union Jack?
Mel

[3] The new flag of the United Kingdom was officially created by an Order in Council of 1801, reading as follows:

The Union Flag shall be azure, the Crosses saltire of Saint Andrew and Saint Patrick quarterly per saltire, counter-changed, argent and gules, the latter fimbriated of the second, surmounted by the Cross of Saint George of the third fimbriated as the saltire.[4

But in 1908 Parliament approved the name of the national flag as Union Jack. So both names are correct. The term jack came from smaller flags that were flown from the bowsprit mast of warships. The jackstaff.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The Union Flag shall be azure, the Crosses saltire of Saint Andrew and Saint Patrick quarterly per saltire, counter-changed, argent and gules, the latter fimbriated of the second, surmounted by the Cross of Saint George of the third fimbriated as the saltire.

And yours truly hasnt got the foggiest what all that means B)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I have a few flags which I use at different times if I erect the caravan flagpole.
At the Twinwood Festival I fly the flag of the Royal Air Force, because the festival takes place on the former WW2 night fighter airfield RAF Twinwood Farm, the airfield often used by wartime band leader Major Glenn Miller USAAF, in fact he was last seen alive on this airfield.
The RAF flag is flown to honour the men and women stationed at RAF Twinwood Farm during the war
In common with many others at caravan rallies and other festivals I often fly a county flag, some have the white rose of Yorkshire, some the white cross on the green background representing Devon.
Mine is the flag of the Black Country, the Pride of the Midlands.
I fly the Union Flag the right way up on state occasions, and the Cross of St George when sporting events take place.
For those who dislike flags, don't fly them and for those of us who do, consider the surroundings and the people around you.
Each to their own.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
The Union Flag shall be azure, the Crosses saltire of Saint Andrew and Saint Patrick quarterly per saltire, counter-changed, argent and gules, the latter fimbriated of the second, surmounted by the Cross of Saint George of the third fimbriated as the saltire.

And yours truly hasnt got the foggiest what all that means B)

Well our national flag can be called the Union Flag or Union Jack.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I flew this one at Peter Tavy during the World Cup Football last month. Various flags come out at the Woosiefest eg Wiltshire County flag, Aston Villa and sometimes those kiddies twirly worldly things. I don’t bother on normal holidays or in areas of outstanding natural beauty. Just a bit of fun in the right place at the right time.

DD2174_D3-653_C-460_D-_A493-1_A85_E8_B24347.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On sites in Spain and France we use the much smaller flags, normally called ' waving flags' (i.e. those you hold in your hand and wave). We put these on the windbreak poles. Always the flag of our host nation - a good naval tradition I believe of a British ship in a foreign port. Then an English St Geoge Cross red on white and the Stars and Stripes since OH hails from there. Plan to add a Union flag this year. This started many years ago when our then neighbour on the site had the Saltire and Scottish Lion on display. The Welsh Dragon is also soften seen and perhaps moreso this year following the Tour de France.
Our friends the site staff in Spain are interested and particularly appreciate seeing their flag included - a small courtesy to very nice guys.

I had considered more maritime flags such as the yellow plague flag indicating we did not want to be disturbed, or the blue peter indicating we were about to leave, or (not a flag) but two balls, one over the other - run to the masthead which, from memory - signifies I am out of control. (Seamen please correct as necessary)
There is, of course, the famous hoist showing ' permission to lie alongside' which I believe used to be made into a small broach for female friends.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts