Flash (spark) from 240v socket

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello KeithP
Can't see your post, Are you using Internet Explorer 9? if so go the ' Our website' threads for details of how to make posts appear.

I couldn't helpbut notice you headline, If you are gettings sparkes from sockets then don't mess get the caravan checked out by a competent dealer.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Hello KeithP
Can't see your post, Are you using Internet Explorer 9? if so go the ' Our website' threads for details of how to make posts appear.

I couldn't helpbut notice you headline, If you are gettings sparkes from sockets then don't mess get the caravan checked out by a competent dealer.
Very good advice and also make sure you do not have a gas leak!

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the pointer on how to reply Prof John L, I had given up trying to post.
The original post should have said.
When i was just in the caravan i turned on a convector heater(not the caravan heater) that we use.When i came to turn it off,i turned it of at the wall and got a spark or flash.
The sockets only appear to spark when i turn the heater off at the socket and the heater is still running.If i turn the heater off first then i don't get any spark or flash.
I have just read on another electrical forum that it could be worn sockets?Does this make any more sense?
I think that getting it checked is the way to go anyway, so thanks for the push in that direction.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Keith,
Without testing I could not possibly give you any assurances one way or another, suffice to say that any fault or even a hint of a fault should not be dismissed, but investigated and any faults corrected.
Unless you are electrically trained, I wouldn't even give you any hints via a forum.

As Surfer writes, the same caution should be afforded to any concerns with the gas systems also.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not surprised that you see a flash when turning off a current drawing appliance by the wall switch.
Caravan wall switches are double pole and when you switch on or off you move a lever making or breaking those poles, with current flowing the power will try and continue to maintain the path and as the gap widens you get a spark.(Much the same as the old style cinema projector lamps where you had to open the contacts(rods in this instance) to create a large spark to give the light.)

The switch on the heater is a totally enclosed unit which is inside the casing, so although it sparks, you cannot see it.

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
When the heater is running and you dont switch it off first you are breaking the circuit with the switch on the caravan socket. As it is a convector heater it will be drawing a high current this why you see a flash.If a manufacturer fits a switch on an appliance it is there for use not decoration.What you are doing is bad practice.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
keithp said:
Thanks for the pointer on how to reply Prof John L, I had given up trying to post.
The original post should have said.
When i was just in the caravan i turned on a convector heater(not the caravan heater) that we use.When i came to turn it off,i turned it of at the wall and got a spark or flash.
The sockets only appear to spark when i turn the heater off at the socket and the heater is still running.If i turn the heater off first then i don't get any spark or flash.
I have just read on another electrical forum that it could be worn sockets?Does this make any more sense?
I think that getting it checked is the way to go anyway, so thanks for the push in that direction.
No surprise there then as the same thing would probably happen at home. Always switch off the appliance first. Think of it this way. You slowly extract the plug and as you do this it sticks a bit and give it a wiggle. It perhaps disconnects for a split second and then reconnects and then disconnects again. A small surge / spike may occur. On some appliances this is enough to blow the fuse in the appliance or even trip the mains.
Caravans used to have on off switches on the sockets but that has now disappeared. Not sure how they managed to get around this as for houses it may be illegal, but I am not sure. We always switch off at the socket before removing any appliance as your fingers could slip and touch a live leg on the plug. Unlikely but it can happen. In this case it makes sense to switch off the appliance first.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
Caravans used to have on off switches on the sockets but that has now disappeared. Not sure how they managed to get around this as for houses it may be illegal, but I am not sure.
Sockets without switches is a backward step as any number of appliances just don't have switches themselves, the multitude of power supplies and our mains alarm clock are cases in point.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
RogerL said:
Surfer said:
With regard to switches it always possible to have switch sockets retro. fitted if your van has unswitched .
Being a sparky I would only ever fit switch sockets for safety reasons
Caravans used to have on off switches on the sockets but that has now disappeared. Not sure how they managed to get around this as for houses it may be illegal, but I am not sure.
Sockets without switches is a backward step as any number of appliances just don't have switches themselves, the multitude of power supplies and our mains alarm clock are cases in point.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Its quite normal for a socket to spark when switching on load, don't worry about it, unless you smell burning, then immediate action is required.

What you have to do is turn the appliance of first, not the socket, get into the habit and it becomes routine. Let the appliance switch take the wear.

By the way all the sockets in my 2011 Valencia are switched, and fed separately from the PDU.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts