Flat battery

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I seem to have a problem with my battery running as flat as a pancake when left for more than a few days. Something is draining it and I can't figure out what ! It still goes flat if the setting is left on "car".Any bright ideas would be appreciated ! Thanks Dave

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
Well the first things that spring to mind are, the battery is almost worn out, or u are relying on the caravan to charge it, instead of a proper car battery charger.

The vans charger is only there to try to keep a charged battery topped up.

So either disconnect the battery from the van while u are not using it , to see if it still goes flat.

Or Give it a good charge on a car charger, but dont exceed a 5 amp charge.

It could be left for a good 24 hours on a small charge.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Dave,

I think Keith has given you a good set to tips to find out what's wrong.

If you have a digital voltmeter, I'd go with this test; charge the battery, then release the clamps to disconnect it from the van. Measure the voltage - it should be very close to 12.6 Volts.

Then leave disconnected for a week or two, measure the voltage again. If still very, very close to the original reading, then it's looking OK.

If the volatge has dropped to 12.4 V, then that's equal to only 75% charged. If it's dropped to below 11 V then it's flat. These indicate that the battery is self discharging, it's dead and needs replacing.

If the voltage hasn't dropped from 12.6 V, it's time to reconnect the battery black pole, switch the meter over to Amps - and measure the current flowing between the red pole and the red clamp. If around 1 or 2amps are flowing, then something like a light is on. If 10Amps or so is flowing, that sounds like the fridge.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave,

I think Keith has given you a good set to tips to find out what's wrong.

If you have a digital voltmeter, I'd go with this test; charge the battery, then release the clamps to disconnect it from the van. Measure the voltage - it should be very close to 12.6 Volts.

Then leave disconnected for a week or two, measure the voltage again. If still very, very close to the original reading, then it's looking OK.

If the volatge has dropped to 12.4 V, then that's equal to only 75% charged. If it's dropped to below 11 V then it's flat. These indicate that the battery is self discharging, it's dead and needs replacing.

If the voltage hasn't dropped from 12.6 V, it's time to reconnect the battery black pole, switch the meter over to Amps - and measure the current flowing between the red pole and the red clamp. If around 1 or 2amps are flowing, then something like a light is on. If 10Amps or so is flowing, that sounds like the fridge.

Robert
Be very carefull when measuring between the battery terminal and the caravan connection, I have seen multimeters welded and vaporised when doing this. It would be preferable just to measure the voltage drop when connecting the battery to the caravan across the terminals.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Well the first things that spring to mind are, the battery is almost worn out, or u are relying on the caravan to charge it, instead of a proper car battery charger.

The vans charger is only there to try to keep a charged battery topped up.

So either disconnect the battery from the van while u are not using it , to see if it still goes flat.

Or Give it a good charge on a car charger, but dont exceed a 5 amp charge.

It could be left for a good 24 hours on a small charge.
Keith I am confused about your answer why do you say "The vans charger is only there to try to keep a charged battery topped up" ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the technical and usefull info !

The battery is only a few months old so should be OK. ( It came with a guarentee but don't you hate it when you've chucked the receipt away ! )

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Dave,

If you find that your battery is OK, and it seems that something in the caravan 12 Volt circuit is always "on", then you may want to measure the current to get a handle on what the problem is.

Lol's right about taking extra precautions when measuring amps with a multi-meter. Often you will need to change the position of one of the plug-in leads, and use the dedicated socket to measure up to 20 Amps.

There is usually a 20Amp fuse in the meter, so if you do manage to such a real hefty current through the meter, the fuse should blow before any damage is done.

If you are unsure, post again.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ok, let me first explain, I am no caravan mechanic, but faultfinding is usually similar, no matter what it is. Try measuring the resistance between the caravan leads, if you get a short (low resistance) there is a path for the battery to discharge. Try switching either the rcds or fuses off until you get a high resistance, you could refine it further by excluding various appliances. I don't know what your skill with a multi meter or access to your caravans wiring is like but you'll get to learn about the workings of it all the more, and that might be helpful in the future.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave Re-Flat battery

In addition to the answers given. the battery in your caravan is not the same as a car battery, it is a deep cycle battery and if it should become flat then a deep cycle charger should be used if not a car charger will in fact cook the battery in a very short time.

The ECM....

Should be used in the following way.

the change over swich set to Caravan...DC power is available from van battery to all circuits, and will allow the battery to be charged when on hookup.

In Central Position....

In this position with chager switch on power is to all circuits, with charger off all DC circuits are isolated

NOTE..the switch should be in this position when van is towed..

CAR position

Note: First conect towing vehicle via 12s socket

Place switch in this position ONLY if the van battery should become discharged.

Power is suplied from car battery and will supply lights and pump only

WARNING

This is only a short term use as it will drain car battery very quickly.

There is no OFF SWITCH

Hope this helps

Jim M

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave Re-Flat battery

In addition to the answers given. the battery in your caravan is not the same as a car battery, it is a deep cycle battery and if it should become flat then a deep cycle charger should be used if not a car charger will in fact cook the battery in a very short time.

The ECM....

Should be used in the following way.

the change over swich set to Caravan...DC power is available from van battery to all circuits, and will allow the battery to be charged when on hookup.

In Central Position....

In this position with chager switch on power is to all circuits, with charger off all DC circuits are isolated

NOTE..the switch should be in this position when van is towed..

CAR position

Note: First conect towing vehicle via 12s socket

Place switch in this position ONLY if the van battery should become discharged.

Power is suplied from car battery and will supply lights and pump only

WARNING

This is only a short term use as it will drain car battery very quickly.

There is no OFF SWITCH

Hope this helps

Jim M
Hi Jim, Thanks for the breakdown on switch position. Believe it or not I have benn 'vanning for nearly 20 years and what you tell me is news to me !

I thought the battery charged with any switch position when the mains are hooked up, I assumed that the battery only charged via the car when "car" is selected, and I always set "car" when travelling to ( in my belief" keep the fridge cold ( when set on battery)

Just shows how poor the caravan manuals are when you look for info !

Cheers

Dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim, Thanks for the breakdown on switch position. Believe it or not I have benn 'vanning for nearly 20 years and what you tell me is news to me !

I thought the battery charged with any switch position when the mains are hooked up, I assumed that the battery only charged via the car when "car" is selected, and I always set "car" when travelling to ( in my belief" keep the fridge cold ( when set on battery)

Just shows how poor the caravan manuals are when you look for info !

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave

The central position is used when towing this keeps fridge at the teperature at which you pre charge before seting off from home.It will also keep battery topped up en route via a split relay.I designed this in 1960 it has not yet been bettered.

Have fun

Jim M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts