Flat or Convex Mirrors

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I am looking at which Towing Mirrors to choose, and am thinking of the Milenco Aero, but they have a number of choices.

Should I buy Flat or Convex Mirrors, it is possible to mix them, but is there any advantage in this ? If I do mix them what side would they be fitted to ? They also offer a choice in the size of the mirrors, with thier Aero or Grand Aero, again is there any advantage in paying extra for the larger size ?

Appreciate your thoughts and experince on this subject.

Best regards,

George

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A convex mirror has the advantage of increasing your field of view, but the disadvantage of making everything appear further away than it really is. On balance there is little point in having a convex mirror on the driver's side because the mirror is normally close enough to the driver's eyes to allow an already large enough field of view. The size distortion that a convex mirror creates can also be irritating. On the passenger's side the picture is rather different. The mirror is a lot further away from the driver and therefore the field of view is much smaller. A convex mirror can help to offset this.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My personal preferance is for convex on both sides used in conjunction with the car's mirrors.

I've tried both but didn't feel that a flat one on the driver's side gave much more than the door mirror so changed.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
I prefer flat both sides as with the passenger mirror I find it difficult to judge how far past a lorry I am with a convex mirror to know when it is safe to pull back to the left lane. With a convex driver mirror I find it much harder to judge the speed of traffic in the right hand / middle lane when pulling out.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all these responses, on balance I have decided to purchase a pair of the Milenco Grand Aero, with Flat Mirros. With the large size of these mirrors, I think I will get the best view, important as a first timer.

Thanks for all your replies, you advice is appreciated.

Best regards,

George

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you will be well pleased with grand aero. I have a pair aat maximum reach - van wider than car - and they were perfectly stable on tow down to Spain Dec. / January in some very strong winds. At present I have flat on drivers side and convex on the other for maximum field of view in Europe, but shall make up my mind in due course and get one or the other for the pair.

May 2, 2006
Visit site
I bought a pair of convex Grand Aeros at the NEC a couple of years ago and love them. But my wife couldn't get on with the convex view so I bought a pair of Grand Aero flat heads to put on them and now she is happy. I marginly prefer the convex view but the flat view is so good and the car mirrors still provide me with width so I am also happy enough.

Excellent mirrors.

Cheers

Mike A

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
It is really down to personal preference if only driving in the UK.

However you should have a convex mirror fitted on the passenger side when driving in Europe.

Its wider field of view will be much better on the right hand drive vehicles most of us will be driving.

Ray S (Moderator) has already referred to this in his post.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree totally with Gafferbill on having a convex mirror on the passenger side when in Europe, not only does it give a better field of view especially on autobahns but it allows the navigator to have a kip too without you feeling vulnerable!!

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for the response to my question, I also e-mailed Milenco and had thier response this morning, copied below.

'We would not recommend you have a flat on one side and convex on the other as this could badly affect your judgement of traffic.

Convex mirrors are good for European travelling as the view is wider but smaller and gives a better view of traffic whilst driving on the other side of the road. However with the Flat mirrors, what you see is what you get. '

This confirms what most of you have indicated in your replies, and I will be buying the Flat Grand Aero's in the first place. As I gain experience and venture abroad I will definitely consider purchasing the Convex mirror for the Passenger side at least.

Best regards,

George

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts