Flat screen 12v TV with freeview

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone offer advice please re purchasing a 12v flat screen tv with freeview and a screen size of about 19 inch. We do a lot of caravanning without electric hook-up and rely on an 85w solar panel to charge up the battery. Most 12v largish screen tvs seem to be a lot more expensive than 240v ones.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
A lot of caravaner's use an inverter to provide 240volt-ac electricity for a TV.

I use a 12 volt 150 watt sine wave inverter to run a 14 inch flat screen LCD TV and a SKY box satellite receiver. This equipment consumes about 80 watts.

Freeview would likely consume about the same, maybe a little more with a 19 inch screen

The TV was

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
James,look in comet.19"lcd tv with built in freeview and dvd,kenmark brand,we bought one last year,lovely picture can watch at all angles ok.it will run on 12volt.they dont supply the 12volt lead but you can pick one up anywhere.ie one from rechargable lantern,or jumpstart etc they all fit.i have had loads of tellys for the caravan over the years and this one wins hands down.i think it is currently

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi.....James I Rally also using a solar panel and have just recently replaced my TV with what you require it also has a dvd also and run it through an inverter which I have used for the last 2 years with other TVs. I bought my tv from Tesco's for

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your very helpful comments. Very interested in those from Ronald re the Comet tele. Does the 12 volt lead fit in the same socket that the 240v lead fits in or is there a separate connection point.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your very helpful comments. Very interested in those from Ronald re the Comet tele. Does the 12 volt lead fit in the same socket that the 240v lead fits in or is there a separate connection point.
james,the 240 volt lead has a kickdown box with it that kicks it down to 12volt then it plugs into telly,the 12volt lead plugs into same socket on the telly.i forgot to add the telly is also hd.so if you get yourself a freesat hd box you can watch bbc hd.most of the freesat boxes are also 12volt,i have one and use it with a sky dish.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
James,dont know if you got my last post,i posted it in comment box.the 12volt lead plugs into same socket as 240 lead does on the telly.the 240 lead has a transformer box on it that converts it to 12volt before it goes into telly.forgot to add the telly is also hd.so if you get yourself a freesat box you can watch bbc in hd.i have the goodmans hd freesat box which also runs on 12volt.you just have to get another 12 volt lead and a sky dish and tripod.just one thing if you do this make sure you plug the lead into the telly first and then into the caravans 12volt because i must have touched an earth on the chassis of the telly and blew a fuse in the caravan.no hassle though replaced fus and all was well.i just make sure to plug ibto telly first.hope this helps Ron

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi James

Another vote for the Kenmark that Ronald has mentioned, bought one back in the summer and its very good indeed. We havent used it on 12 v only mains, but as Ronald said you just need to buy the lead.

ATB

Phil

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ronald

Thanks for the further info and the comments from Houndlegs. I have a 12v freesat box so I presume I could use the same lead with the tele when not using the sat box. The even better news is that Comet have reduced the price to

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I have read that these types of 12volt TV... the type that receive 12 volts from a step down 240 volts ac transformer, require exactly 12 volts or damage will result.

The transformer supplies exactly 12 volts, whereas connecting directly to a 12-volt caravan battery can supply anything from 10.5 volts to 13.5 volts depending on the state of charge of the battery, and whether the caravan power supply/charger is switched on.

12 volt TV's of this type that can cope with direct battery connection are more expensive as a result.

I do not have expertise on this... but the article made sense to me so I use a cheap inverter.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
have been using a few of these tellys for a few years now.the current one kenmark since sept 08,3 months plus use in a caravan on 12volt with and without electric hookup.never had a problem.my brother also is using a kenmark and no problems.i cant see the sense in paying

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
......if you want further information....... the following website explains the subject better than me.

It also contains other interesting pages

]http://www.boatshare.co.uk/power supplies/index.htm
http://www.boatshare.co.uk/power supplies/index.htm[/quote
I've two points on this subject, both from experience;-

1. I plugged an ordinary flat screen telly directly into the 12v socket. It worked well for some months, until just after I read an article in the Camping & Caravan magazine talikng about the voltage fluctuation. Ho ho ho i said- but a few weeks later, my telly died!

2. I replaced it with a 192 Freeview with DVD. It does'nt half use up the battery! I use a 300w inverter with it now, and as there is too much of a volt drop within the caravans internal wiring, I connect it to a spare 85a/h battery outside. This keeps the noise from the inverter down. However, I only get approx 2 1/2 hours veiwing out of the battery. I have an inverter genny now that runs the telly, and charges the spare battery at the same time (mostly camp in pubs, with no-one else around)

Norman

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
check Tesco, Asda, Comment for the 17 or 19 inch, dvd and freeview TVs. If on show at a store check whether they are really mains operated, or is the plug a transformer and 12v outlet to a plug in on the set. Many of the smaller ones are actually 12v.

geo

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The choice of 12v tvs is getting samaller and smaller as most use the same screen,the transformer has been made smaller and moved inside the tv so no need for the external ones.

As for running a tv directly off of 12v, a few years ago a company called Manhatten sold a 15 inch lcd tv that was for caravanners at a cost of

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
We use our avtex occasionally, usually too busy to bother with it but use mainly in winter. We have a 55w panel, never have EHU and have no problems at all. Ours is only 10" due to lack of use but then only have a 19" at home. It's not a cheap option but it seems to work well

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi James

Another vote for the Kenmark that Ronald has mentioned, bought one back in the summer and its very good indeed. We havent used it on 12 v only mains, but as Ronald said you just need to buy the lead.

ATB

Phil
It isn't just as simple as "Plugging in a 12v lead" I'm afraid.

This is where many people fall foul.

Yes, the TV's that you can buy from Comet etc, operate on 12v dc, BUT, it is a steady and regulated 12v dc supply from a transformer, stepped down from 230v.

If the television is not regulated against voltage fluctuations at set,(As is mostly the case on "12v" TVs, then you MUST use a voltage regulator INSTEAD of a 12v lead.

The 12v in our vans is very different to the regulated 12v from a transformer, and a drop in current, or a rise in current, will damage the set.

Try and buy a properly regulated 12v tv in the first instance...that comes with an appropriate 12v lead from someone who deals with caravanners and motorhomers specifically, otherwise, use a 12v volatage regulator, such as a DC-REG70 (appx

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts