Fleetwood Carvans Is this True

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
As you know Fleetwood have called in the administrators.

My friend tried to book his 8 month old van in for a warranty repair and was told that he has no warranty on his van anymore!

The dealers has said that they will help on normal non Fleetwood items,but he said Fleetwood made all their panels and electrical items which arent covered by anyone.

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I think you'll find that the actual caravanwarranty is a manufacturers one we've got a avondale and when they went belly up lost our warranty as well but likes of fridges and heaters are made by different companies and come with there own individual warantee's you should have all the paperwork somewhere along with the instruction manuels

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Under the SOG act,I think the warranty is with the seller,which is Fleetwood not the dealer.This is because you can take your vehicle back to any dealer(who is approved) not the one you purchased it from.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
The seller is the dealer to whom you pay your money. The manufacturer may offer a guarantee over and above that which the seller is obliged to make under the SOG act. Your statuary rights are however with the seller.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Why if you buy a car with a manufactures warranty (which is what Fleetwood are offering)you dont have to go back to the dealer/seller who sold the car.

This seems to me that the warranty is with the manufacturer not the dealer/seller

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I think the point of this post is that because Fleetwood are in trouble the dealer says there is no longer any warranty on the caravan. It may well be that the manufacturers guarantee is no longer being honoured but that is bye the bye. The selling dealer is still legaly responsible to correct faults under the SOG act.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think Jo has got it right,the equipment inside the van will be covered ie heating and water,but other structual are with Fleetwood.The dealer invoices for all warranty work carried out if they picked up the warranty they wouldnt do this.

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Mikey,

I have the same worry with my Fleetwood, and I have posted in the general section under warranty. Depending on what is wrong with your friends van, he may have some form of coverage via the extended warranty which is administered by MB&G. However, as is my concern, things such as water ingress and delamination are not covered. However, as the dealer took his money, then the onus is on them to support. My problem has been compounded by my supplying dealer going out of business which has left me feeling somewhat exposed.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Mikey, as you are recieving conflicting replies to your post I would suggest your friend contacts CAB or a solicitor. He will then get the correct advice (and his van repaired under the SOG act).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you look inside the back cover of the fleetwood book there is some info on warranty.

Warranty responcibilty depends on the model of van.

Heritage models are covered by MB&G and all others by Adria.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Take it from me there is small print in every warranty from buying a car caravan to a bar of soap. If the company calls in the administrators your up the creek without a padel. You can SHOUT jump up an down write letters to this one and that one Phone your MP go to CAB get a solisiter.But in the end it comes back the company went down the pan and so does your Warranty.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
In my replies I have assumed that the selling dealer is still solvent and trading. If this is the case then the onus is on them. The fact that Fleetwood are in trouble has no bearing on the issue. The contract to buy a product of 'resonable' quality 'fit for purpose' is between the seller (the person who takes the money) and the buyer (the person who gives the money, be that cash, finance house etc). If the product is faulty or fails within an 'unreasonable' period, the seller has not supplied goods fit for purpose. They are responsible for correcting the fault.

To take the debate to the extream, one could argue that Fleetwood simply assemble the caravan with parts supplied by other manufactures who in turn use parts from other suppliers. Were Fleetwood to be the one liable, a problem with say the charger could be passed back down the line to the guy who made the diode for the PCB. After all, he made the faulty part. You'd get a new diode in the post, nothing else.

That's why the act is called SALE of goods rather than manufacture of goods, to protect the buyer by making the SELLER liable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts