Fleetwood Heritage 640

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all. I have to agree with SPJ the panel does not enhance the van but it does impress visitors!! I also tend to use a spirit level as well, perhaps that is just normal custom and practice over 30 years caravanning and I just need to get used to it. I am glad to see that spj has the same odd read out on the battery discharge as I do. I couldn't work it out and just felt that as I didn't have any electrical problems, because I always use mains, then I wouldn't worry about it!!

I had a problem with the manual catch on the fridge but my dealer fixed it, I think he bent the pin and it fitted.

As a matter of interest have all of you actually checked your solar panel. Because the panel should not be exposed to sunlight without a battery fitted the factory fit it with a sticky black cover. My dealer did not remove the cover when he fitted the battery and until I climbed a ladder I was not aware of that fact.

Sorry to see that the 2008 model still has a poor fitting gas locker box which in the recent torrential rain leaked like a sieve and soaked everything inside, with ove an inch of water. Has anyone found a solution to the problem other than moving to the Sahara!

Ian

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ian,

my gas locker also leaks but it did on the 2007 van so I have learnt to accept it. I did remove the solar panels black cover when I polished the caravans roof when it was new, but I think the panel is far too small to be of any use other than to top up the battery in storage. We very rarely use the van on commercial sites with electric, our last 17 night trip was a field so battery power was all we had other than a generator for a couple of hours every other day to recharge. As the caravan is supplied with mostly halogen lights and the pointless illuminated panel it is not really suitable for use without mains electric, the 640es also has no 12v lights near the front end other than reading lights and the 5w bulbs in the sunroof surround which I have replaced with a strip of 27 leds on each side which is far brighter.

I phoned Fleetwood today regarding the faults with my caravan, I dont have a dealer as the caravan was a warranty replacement supplied direct from Fleetwood and the PDI was carried out by a non Fleetwood dealer at my request as the only fairly local dealer is Wanderhome at Knottingley who I have never heard a good word about, Fleetwood have not come back to me yet which unfortunately is what I expected. I would like the caravan repaired soon as it is now for sale due our plans to emmigrate early next year.

spj.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi spj, Yeah my 2004 leaked like a sieve too but I put up with it and turned my wellies upside down to stop them filling with water!!

Interested in your led modification. The lights in the rooflight are pretty useless as they are. Can you provide some details on where you sourced them and what was involved in the change.

Ian

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ian,

I got my leds from www.ultraleds.co.uk, when I bought them you could get a 1 metre strip but it looks like they only do a 5 metre roll now but it may be worth asking, mine are 'Waterproof 60 led Warm White SMT Strips 1 Metre' this is the description from the invoice, warm white leds are very good, I have changed all the roof lights in the caravan including the bathroom and shower with warm white G4 leds and you cannot tell the difference between them and the standard halogen bulbs.

I connected the strips by soldering a lead to the circuit board but a plug in lead is now available, I then soldered the other end to the bulb contacts in the sunroof lights after testing the polarity as leds will only work one way, my leds are secured with a glue gun as it can be removed later without leaving any marks, with the light covers fitted the front end is now perfectly bright.

If you want to do the conversion or need any G4 leds, my caravan is soon to be for sale and I will be putting it back to standard, all the leds were new in June and have had only 17 days use, so these will also be for sale.

spj.

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ian,

I got my leds from www.ultraleds.co.uk, when I bought them you could get a 1 metre strip but it looks like they only do a 5 metre roll now but it may be worth asking, mine are 'Waterproof 60 led Warm White SMT Strips 1 Metre' this is the description from the invoice, warm white leds are very good, I have changed all the roof lights in the caravan including the bathroom and shower with warm white G4 leds and you cannot tell the difference between them and the standard halogen bulbs.

I connected the strips by soldering a lead to the circuit board but a plug in lead is now available, I then soldered the other end to the bulb contacts in the sunroof lights after testing the polarity as leds will only work one way, my leds are secured with a glue gun as it can be removed later without leaving any marks, with the light covers fitted the front end is now perfectly bright.

If you want to do the conversion or need any G4 leds, my caravan is soon to be for sale and I will be putting it back to standard, all the leds were new in June and have had only 17 days use, so these will also be for sale.

spj.
I have a 2008 meridian with a leaking front locker and was told by my dealer when I took delivery of the van it was not suppose to be waterproof, incidently when I look at the front of my van from a distance the locker cover seems to be a different shade of white to the rest of the front panel does any one else have the same problem?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob, To answer your comment my dealer and Richard Allen from Fleetwood said the same. However, having had caravans from a variety of manufacturers over the last thirty years I have never experienced the deluge of water that I have in the last two Heritages! I have learned to live with it but still curse the wet things in the locker.

On your other point, I have not noticed any difference in the colour of the cover and the main body. I shall check when I go home.

spj, let me know when you are selling the leds and how much you want for them. How do I get my email address to you without posting it here for all to see??

Ian

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I finally got round to taking my car round to my caravan dealers today to have it connected to their rig which would check the feed for the fridge. It appears that the feed is indeed not up to the job and is causing the relay to switch on and off, which in turn switches the fridge on and off and hence unlocking the door. What they have also discovered is that this switching on and off also upsets the alarm, putting it into valet mode. So problem solved, I need to sort out may towing electrics and my last few issues with this van should be fixed.

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
On another subject alltogether,do any of you fellow 2008 Heritage owners know the height to the awning rail? I have got the chance of a nearly new porch awning from a friend, but I am currently 300 miles away from van.Will need to know by Monday night. The awning will fit up to 250cm high,which I think will be ok, but just want to double check.Hopefully thanking you in advance for info.

Peter

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Peter,

My 640es (2008) measures 2420mm from floor to awning rail, this was measured in the middle by the wheels with the van level.

spj.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Refering to earlier posts about switching off the panel by pressing the square button for a few seconds, I did this today when putting the van back in storage and found that by switching the power off in this way also took the power off the alarm.

So do you want to conserve your power at the risk of invalidating your insurance??? Not much thought in that idea.

Another silly penny pinching thing I found out today, the screws mounting the ATC led are just ordinary screws and so are rusting. Another job to do that is so unnecessary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts