Flooding

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We also don"t live to far from the River Trent like what someone said surface water flooding happens when rainwater cannot drain away through normal drainage i even brought some Gravitas hydrosnake expanding water barrier x4 in case we need it .
I bought some of the hydro snake to stop water going down our daughters drive and into the garage where she keeps her rabbits in a large pen. It worked but I then decided to drill some holes in the drive which did mitigate the problem to some extent. But now we’ve ordered a roller garage door which has a rubber conformal base plus a water shield to the garage floor is being fitted which hopefully should reduce the problem.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I bought some of the hydro snake to stop water going down our daughters drive and into the garage where she keeps her rabbits in a large pen. It worked but I then decided to drill some holes in the drive which did mitigate the problem to some extent. But now we’ve ordered a roller garage door which has a rubber conformal base plus a water shield to the garage floor is being fitted which hopefully should reduce the problem.

On a previous garage door we had the rubber at the bottom for a seal. Worked great for normal rain, but when water came gushing down the drive, the water found its way in through the sides as you cannot seal the sides. Only happened once, but very little water entered the garage so not overly bothered.

We were advised that the best solution would have been a low profile drain off type of drain across the front of the garage. However we sold up and moved on. This was over 30 years ago so things may have changed considerably by now.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On a previous garage door we had the rubber at the bottom for a seal. Worked great for normal rain, but when water came gushing down the drive, the water found its way in through the sides as you cannot seal the sides. Only happened once, but very little water entered the garage so not overly bothered.

We were advised that the best solution would have been a low profile drain off type of drain across the front of the garage. However we sold up and moved on. This was over 30 years ago so things may have changed considerably by now.
We were quoted £3500 for a transverse drain and soak away. The new garage door plus enhanced rain sealing is less than £2000, plus the old door was on its way out. So it’s worth a shot. Report back in November when it’s fitted. Probably get a drought then.

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
It was standing water and not a flowing river. I was trained on 4x4s in Africa by professionals so hopefully I am well aware of what dangers could be lurking. Many cars can ford standing water with no issue. Flowing water is the danger.
Popped manholes can be present in standing water.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I love the Rufford clips. Here is a lovely one.
A lot of those vehicles are travelling too fast through the water never mind the fact that it is flowing water. Even with the Jeep I would have looked for an alternative route even if it was an extra 50 miles. Longest deviation we have done due to floods is about 250 miles and all at night. We only had a Datsun Stanza at the time. We still got home before those in the queue in front of us. :LOL:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

The last owners put us a low profile drain off across the front of our garage and it works great . (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts