Floor seperating from the van

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I put my caravan in for a service and was told that the floor had seperated from the walls of the van, probably caused by it being towed by a van. I bought it last year, its a 5 berth 1999 Compass Kensington.

Can this be repaired and what are the implications for safety?

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Ricky,

The best person to answer your question is the dealer who serviced your caravan. He will have seen the damage and from experience should be able to tell you whether or not a repair is possible, and whether or not the repair would be financially viable.

Only an experienced caravan body repair centre, who have seen the damage, will be able to give you an honest answer regarding repair and costs involved.

Hamer

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. The service garage has said that the floor is damaged and a repair is probably not economical. The best they could do is to put in l brackets to hold the floor up.

Its a warning about buying private - we were sold this by someone who knew the state of the van and disguised it. A sore way to learn though.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
"I put my caravan in for a service and was told that the floor had seperated from the walls of the van, probably caused by it being towed by a van."

Towing by a van has caused that? How does that happen then?

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Not sure about this. Towing with anyting.....you tow the chassis, not the bodywork.........

The floor of a caravan is always the first part to go down and everything else rests on it....walls, cupboards etc etc.....

How do the walls seperate from the floor......levitation ???

Do they mean the sealing has failed......or has the floor been damaged to the extent that it is missing.

I had a tyre blow out and cause damage at the wheel arch area but repaired by cutting out damage and replacing section with marine ply. After suitable bracing and sealing, the van weent on for years....and still does......about 6 years now and not a single leak....

I would ask for a more detailed report.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts