flush water in thetford toilet leaking into the van

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi, we have a 2007 bailey pagaent champagne with a manual flush toilet. This weekend when we were away in it we noticed that the floor around the toilet was quite wet. We discovered that the flush water from the flush tank was actually leaking out under the toilet onto the floor. We moped it up straight away and then kept eye on it but it was still doing it so we went outside and removed the cassette from the cassette holder and there was some flush water lying in there but it is sealed down there and wasnt getting from there i dont think. When we checked out the floor of the cassette holder there is quite a bit of silicone around the door of it on the inside and u can press down on the floor of the cassette holder floor.Could the water be going under there and into the van? Also when we pulled the plug out to drain the flush tank it was flowing quite a bit more into the van. We have only noticed this this one time so what is the chances that it has caused major damage?

Would this be covered in a bailey warrenty?

We have never drove with the flush water on board.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sandra, we have experianced something similar again with a Thetford loo. Van has just had a service and the agent has put a thin spacer under the foul water tank to assist the seal. Apparently its a kwown fault, we just packed ours with card board till it was time for the service. Bazz.

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Sandra, we have experianced something similar again with a Thetford loo. Van has just had a service and the agent has put a thin spacer under the foul water tank to assist the seal. Apparently its a kwown fault, we just packed ours with card board till it was time for the service. Bazz.
Hi and thanks for replying to me. Bazz do you mean that the seal between the toilet and the cassette part could be the fault? I was wondering that myself as the floor of our cassette holder has movement in it and i wondered if the cassette was not snug against the toilet. I also wondered if there could be a leak from the pipe that runs from the flush tank to the toilet. We have left the van into the dealer we bought off and they are looking at it for us as we are at a loss. They did try resealing the plunger seal but it is still leaking.

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

We had exactly this problem with our Series 7 Sancerre. It is a warranty repair and you should get it booked in with your dealer ASAP before the carpets or floor get damaged. The repair took a couple of hours but we've had no problems since.

Regards

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

www.twitter.com/pcaravan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sandra as Nigel as said take it back to your dealer and he should sort it especially if its under warranty. We just had our van serviced and there is a 3yr warranty on the ingress of water but everything else is just 1yr. Bottoms. so we shall be paying for the repair. Theres also some star cracks appearing on the front panel but it sounds like the maker doent cover it, best of luck with the loo, Bazz.

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi I have the same problem so i have contracted my dealer but the thing is should there be a better way of draining your toilet water off then having to pull a plug out like having a small tap.Like you Sandra I have a 2007 Bailey champagne.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I agree - the drain plug on Thetford toilet flush tanks is the daftest idea. Whatever you do it ends up flooding out, into the cassette compartment, or all over you, or both. What were the designers thinking of? This is something you need to do every time you move sites - so a bit more thought and a more helpful 'waterproof' design would be really useful.

In order to avoid the problem we try to use up all the flush water and then empty the cassette - a much easier job - but again why can't it just be made easier than having to just operate it multiple times?

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
It is a design fault but I always get round it by simply getting something like an old saucer/small plate which I can hold in one hand, at an angle, under the drain hole, so that when I pull the drain plug out with my other hand, the water flows onto the saucer away from the inside of the van. If you are careful, you can collect the flush water in a suitable vessel for re-use.

To avoid some spillage into the van, you can always put an old towel or cloth underneath to catch any drips when you remove the plug. Hope this helps.

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
I agree - the drain plug on Thetford toilet flush tanks is the daftest idea. Whatever you do it ends up flooding out, into the cassette compartment, or all over you, or both. What were the designers thinking of? This is something you need to do every time you move sites - so a bit more thought and a more helpful 'waterproof' design would be really useful.

In order to avoid the problem we try to use up all the flush water and then empty the cassette - a much easier job - but again why can't it just be made easier than having to just operate it multiple times?
I have contracted thetford and they said that they are aware of the problem so I asked what are they going to do and the answer i got back was nothing as they are busy with other things.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sandra, picked the van from service Monday. The service engineer said he had the joiner make a frame to sit under the plinth that the tank sits on. This stops the plinth sagging and hence keeps the tiolet seeled. A known problem apparentely. Did you get yours sorted, Bazz

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi, thanks for all the replies everyone. I left the van back to the dealer we bought it off and they pulled out the whole toilet unit and cud find nothing wrong with it and were close to giving up when they tried the shower and there was water leaking from it towards the toilet! I have filled the toilet with water and flushed it and there hasnt been any more leaks but i am still dubious about the water coming from the shower as we hadnt used the shower when we first noticed the water lying in the floor. I havent been out in the van again yet to check but will when we head out again.

They said the water was running out the seal on the shower panel and was getting as far as the toilet and then running from there out into middle of bathroom floor.

I will keep you posted!!!

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sandra

I had a simular problem with my new Limousin, when I removed the cassett for the first time I noticed that there was flush water on the floor inside the external cabinet. I think if left this water would have made it's way into the caravan cloakroom area giving the impression that there was an internal water leak.

Firstly pull back the sliding flap on the top of the cassett and inspect the rubber seal. I found that the seal had not been fitted correctly by the manufactures, or tested during a PDI inspection. if need be order up a new one.

After correcting the location of the seal my problem stopped.

Good Luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts