Fly Screen not closing properly

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Does anyone have a new Swift Challenger Caravan and noticed their Fly Screen does not close properly.

We added this to one of the snags just after purchase, but delaer stated (after ordering / fitting a new one) this was a design flaw by Swift, and they really can't do anything.

When completely closed at very top and bottom, there is a gap middle as pictured which isn't too bad, but iyou can clearly see it's not closed properly.

During our recent holiday, I tried pushing the right side, and the plastic bent inwards to seal the closed door.

door.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sad to say, your discovering many of the short commings of UK caravans. The manufacturers seem to be focused on fitting as many gizzmo's as possible but are not prepared to invest in designing their products to function correctly from new and to last.

I don't know if non UK manufacturers have the same approach to customer satisfaction!

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
If this is a design flaw, which was stated by the dealer, and the fact they noticed the very same issue with other caravans. I wonder if they have reported this back to Swift, and their reply..

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Looks to me like a fitting issue, the receiver has not been fitted straight and panelled to the blind cassette. Simply rushed.

John

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
My view is that the dealer hasnt actually done anything and its utterly ludicrously to say its a caravan design fault!, I suspect they may have fitted a new cassette unit, but used the original mounting points/screw holes
First off the blind isnt made by Swift, its a bought in item, so there is no "design fault" by Swift.
Secondly clearly something is out of true, so get a long straight edge (2m spirit level?) and offer it up to both the blind edge and the cassette frame. One of them simply isn't straight (my money is on the cassette frame) Then go back to your dealer with the evidence of which of the two is not straight (email them some pictures) and "advise" them that clearly its a blind manufacturing fault that is evidenced by one of the two edges being bowed, and you want the item replaced as its clearly a manufacturing fault and covered under warranty OR that what's fitted is removed and refitted correctly.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi guys, sorry for my ignorance but we are going down today at some point to clean the van.

Can you advise what is meant by the cassette and receiver?

I’ll take a level down with me today, which spots are best to place the level against?

Marking up the photo would help me :)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys, sorry for my ignorance but we are going down today at some point to clean the van.

Can you advise what is meant by the cassette and receiver?

I’ll take a level down with me today, which spots are best to place the level against?

Marking up the photo would help me :)
Same thing really. The receiver is simply the member that the blind meets when it is opened. It is often part of a complete frame hence Mr Plodd using the word ‘cassette’.

From the photos, it appears to me that the member that the blind meets is bowed in the middle. It is made from lightweight, flimsy material, which is easily bent, therefore, it must be fitted to the door frame vertical and straight. The door frame then provides the rigidity to the screen frame.

If that frame, cassette or receiver, (whatever). Has been strained, then perhaps a new unit should be provided. But it might be just a simple job of releasing the fittings, realigning, and re-screwing. But NOT using the original holes.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First off the blind isnt made by Swift, its a bought in item, so there is no "design fault" by Swift.
'''
Your point about the blind being a bought in part is noted, I was using the word Design in a wider context , as Swift have to design the caravan, they are responsible for choosing components they fit, and they have to design the manufacturing process that installs products. It all part of what should be quality which should be one of the manufacturers primary concerns, but so often fails.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts