Fog lights

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Many "boy racers" drive around with their fog lights on all the time in a "look at me" pose. Some ordinary drivers forget to switch them off after using them. They're only legal to use in fog or falling snow. If they're used in rainy conditions they constitute dangerous driving because of the glare which makes it very difficult for other drivers to see anything.
Actually Roger you are incorrect in your comment - according to the Highway Code, (rule 211 - RVLR Regs 25 & 27) it says "you must not use front or rear fog lights UNLESS visibility is seriously reduced (100 metres or 328 feet) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You must switch them off when visibility improves". And as I posted, I was told by a policeman they can be used on a motorway if there is spray from heavy rainfall, as long as they are switched off when either exiting the motorway or the visibility improves.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All rear fog lights should be connected to a large spike which comes up out of the driver's seat, and stay's up your a---e all the time the fog lights are on!

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Hope Emmerson is not keen on a curry.

You could do some serious damage to your rear fog lights if you had a touch of wind!!

I am sure there are websites where you could discuss your fetishes!!

BTW did you have a pleasant weekend??

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
I presume you're on about the Rugby? never mind, supporting my local football team (Leicester City) has it's ups and downs, can't win all the time hey?

Lolly x

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I hope this is not too stupid a question but are fog lights the same as driving lights, I don't mean the main lights but the small supplementary lights, on my car they are classed as driving lights in the blurb from the manufacturers and not fog lights.

Do they affect oncoming cars as much as fog lights?

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ray, Mis-used fog lights? Yes I see it all the time. I thought the following extract from the Highway Code (to be found at www.highwaycode.gov.uk)might settle the argument about when they should be used. The following two rules are identified as legal requirements - break them and you have committed a criminal offence. RULE 201: You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres(328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves. RULE 211: You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule201) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights.You MUST switch them off when visibilty improves. That is what the law has to say on the subject - seems perfectly clear and easily understood. Eileen

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Eileen, I think the law isn't very clear really. What you state means that it is ok to use fog lights at night because you cannot see for more than 100m? Does the law need clarifying?

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
There is an interesting point regarding front fog lights. That is that they are only fog lamps if their centres are 500mm or less from the road surface. If they're higher than that they become auxiliary driving lamps and their use is legal anytime dipped headlamps are required. So it's possible that higher cars, namely 4x4s, can use "fog lights" perfectly legally.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
You're absolutely right Dai, It gets right on my nerves as well. I'm only pointing out that some who practice this habit may not actually be doing anything wrong, and so at present there's not much can be done about it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
the reason for the sequence in which you put fog lights on:-

front only - front and rear - unable to have rear only

front only should be used off road or similar situation(not main highway)

if its foggy or visibility is limited and fog lights are required, you need both sets on anyway,you are not going to put front or back only

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My Kia Sorento has front fog lights fitted as standard, but has no warnig device that tells you whether they are on or off.

How tight is that? surely the price of a warning lamp would not put people off of buying a car.

Steve W
Steve, I think you will find that these are driving lamps not fog lamps. Seems a lot of other drivers think the same as we get flashed often when using them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is an interesting point regarding front fog lights. That is that they are only fog lamps if their centres are 500mm or less from the road surface. If they're higher than that they become auxiliary driving lamps and their use is legal anytime dipped headlamps are required. So it's possible that higher cars, namely 4x4s, can use "fog lights" perfectly legally.
Craig, if memory serves me correct the 500mm (I have noted a 250mm-800mm distance in some literature) measurement is more to do with the maximum height fog lamps can be sited on the vehicle. If they are mounted any higher they are still fog lamps, but are mounted illegally. The difference if I remember correctly is the beam pattern, which is shaped like a letterbox i.e. wide and short. This is so it will not dazzle oncoming traffic. Driving lamps have a similar beam spread to your normal dipped lights and are of a similar intensity.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I don't honestly know if you're right there or not, but the last Mercedes I had (a 190) had lights projecting a wide fog beam in the same housing as the headlight.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Jez just now someone will be moaning because some one uses there brake lighjts too often. Why does it worry you that some numbskull uses his foglights during the day etc? Not a problem but if it were spots different story. Anyway who on earth dredged up thsi thread agfain?

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
actually Ian I do find it a problem myself because when I am driving my Elise, this being low down, I find that front fogs really blind me. I applaud any policeman that enforces the law in this case.

Feb 9, 2006
Visit site
It looks like Ian is one of these inconsiderates who drives with them on when it is illegal to do so. So i agree with you Baz, zero tolerance from the law would make this a much better place to live.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Yes I sort of had the same feeling. Regardless of the beam pattern projected by any light, the intensity to any oncoming driver is the same.

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
"10 Feb 2006 01:12 PM I also drive around with my headlights are full beam permanently just to annoy others."

Yes, I can quite imagine that you do !!

TRENDING THREADS