Folding bikes

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I find carrying 2 bikes on the roof rack or in the car a real hasstle!

Any experience / comments on folding bikes out there, please?

Hope this is in the correct section!

Dave

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Dave
I bought a folding bike at the beginning of last year with the idea of using on site, or off to the local shops (OH doesn't ride). It didn't get used much mainly because of the weather, however I did find carrying it took up as much space as a normal bike.
smiley-frown.gif
My Vectra has a cavernous boot, but a folded bike takes up most of the space. I didn't carry it in the van either because I had no way of securely anchoring it. I had thought of carrying it in a roof box on the car (as a bike is reasonably lightweight at 12Kg), but the box I have is not tall enough by a couple of inches.
Ah well, back to the drawing board.
smiley-undecided.gif

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi, also bought a couple of folding bikes when they were on special offer in, of all places, Morrisons. Not especially lightweight and like Sir WC, found that they took up quite a bit of room. However you could get then inside the van. Don't take them often. In fact I could probably do you a very cheap deal if you are anywhere near the east midlands.
mel

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I used to carry a full size bike in the caravan but it was a problem getting it out I bought a cheap folder from Argos. Unfortunately the cheap ones are not much lighter than a full size one. It does fit OK in the X-Trail but it never felt very stable to ride. If your car is high enough for them to stand upright, strap it to the side or behind a front seatand they can save a huge amount of room compared with a full size bike.
I've just bought a folder with electric assistance from Tesco, really good value at £399 as many ordinary folders are much more than this, folds down nicely, but again is pretty heavy (over 20Kg) but you don't notice this when the battery kicks in.

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your input, guys.
I'll also have to go back to the drawing board!

Towing fron near Heathrow to St. David's today - a week on the CC club site there - what a hardship!!!!

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I know that they cost a lot, but the Brompton folder is, in my opinion streets ahead of the others in build quality and is a very good performer. It folds very easily into a compact bag, and takes up very little space. I have seen some of the cheaper ones on site, often quite rusty, andI am quite convinced that the Brompton is the best of the bunch. ( It is also built in London)

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I have a Dahon folder each. All alloy construction therefore light and rust-free. Ours have 20inch wheels - much easier to pedal and better ride quality than those with smaller wheels like the Brompton and others. Whatever you go for, do "try before you buy" particularly in the saddle department!
Mike

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello Mike, Although the Brompton wheels are only 16" , OH says that she soon adapted to them, and with 6 gears it is fine for what she wanted. One of our main criteria was luggage space- and the Brompton when folded comes down to a package only slightly bigger than the wheel size, and that, along with its very light weight were two of the main deciding factors.We have to get it in the car, along with my electric mobility buggy and the rest of the usual caravan paraphanalia.
We find it fine on the Sustrans type of trails, going along at a steady 6 to 8 mph, to keep in step with my buggy,but as you mentioned, the saddle supplied was not the standard one!!( When I used to cycle, I always looked for a saddle that was as near to a tractor seat that I could find)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts