Food grade water hose

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Bought myself one of the generic hoses with float to direct connect tap to aquaroll, but after several uses the water still tastes of plastic. Cheap enough to replace with a similar length and multiple sellers on Amazon or EBay advertise the blue ‘food grade’. Any suggestions how to avoid replacing and ending up with the same problem?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Bought myself one of the generic hoses with float to direct connect tap to aquaroll, but after several uses the water still tastes of plastic. Cheap enough to replace with a similar length and multiple sellers on Amazon or EBay advertise the blue ‘food grade’. Any suggestions how to avoid replacing and ending up with the same problem?

Use a standard garden hose and a seperate (5 litre) container for drinking/cooking water.
That's what I have done for many many years, and I have yet to grow a second head :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
By generic hose do you mean standard garden hose. Answer seems easy, just get a food grade hose. That is what they are for.

Or do what Mr Plodd suggests. But I find some hoses are worse when left in the sun. The food grade I have used are decent quality.

John

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Thanks but hopefully not the caravan internals as last month with the standard aquaroll setup it was fine without the tainted taste. The direct connection purchased has supposed blue food grade hose. It’s not the water at the pitch tap as that tastes normal filling a glass from the tap! So I concluded the likely culprit was the length of blue hose!
Do you think if I soaked the hose in a bucket of diluted Milton and then thoroughly rinsed it the taint could be banished? Or should I replace it and Hope?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Do you think if I soaked the hose in a bucket of diluted Milton and then thoroughly rinsed it the taint could be banished? Or should I replace it and Hope?
That will only sterilise it, it won't take any of the "taint" out.
Just get a 5 litre water container (old Evian type thing) Problem solved at a stroke.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Plastics are a variable quantity. The experts will explain better than me. It seems the polymers used in plastics are different hence cheaper ones can lead to tainted tastes. Our water system old and well used is as fresh as that from the tap. I suspect your non standard mains adaptor is the culprit. Mine is a genuine “Aquaroll” Hitchens make.
As far as the food grade hoses go they are supposed to deter bacteria and bugs growing and leeching out of undesirable materials. Allegedly garden hose is not so good but I don’t use it so can’t really comment😎

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I would do as Audio rob says, sterilise it in the Aqua roll, ensure the water gets inside the hose, I have the genuine Heavy aqua roll pipe, and a roll flat hose, I have no problems with taste from them , we drink from the caravan system. No faffing about with water bottles.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would do as Audio rob says, sterilise it in the Aqua roll, ensure the water gets inside the hose, I have the genuine Heavy aqua roll pipe, and a roll flat hose, I have no problems with taste from them , we drink from the caravan system. No faffing about with water bottles.
Going back to about 2004 we drank from water taps inside caravan and I ended up being violently ill for some reason so have never drank again direct from caravan water supply. Always use a 5L container filled up at the tap which probably has a garden type hose supplying the water. Maybe psychological now and probably would be nothing wrong with drinking from caravan taps?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the hose taints the water , then perhaps its not fit for purpose and should be replaced by the manufacturer.

I believe the UK caravan manufacturers are required to use potable water grade products in their caravans, so if your UK built caravans does produce tainted water then it is a matter you should take up with your caravan supplier. However becasue of the intermittent way in which caravans are used and the temperature extremes the caravan can encounter, you do need to undertake maintenance of the water pipes periodically to clean and sterilise them.

With properly cleaned pipework and appropriate water supplies there should be no problem using water from the caravans taps for drinking etc. It becomes a matter of personal preference whether you choose to use water for drinks etc from the caravan system or a sperate bottles.

If you don't clean your pipes then there may be a problem down the line.

Other connected pipework such a direct from tap systems, should also be suitable for potable water.

The issue with non approved hose pipes, is related to the materials used, some plastic colourants are highly toxic, and carcinogenic, which means the problems may not show immediately but several years down the line.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
On a related subject - every time we go on a trip I have to clean out the filter on the end of the bathroom tap to get a decent flow. There are lots of little bits in it blocking it up. Makes me glad I don't drink the van water but still worry a bit about cleaning teeth.

I wonder where they come from.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
You haven’t bought a new kettle have you? Got a horrid plastic taste in tea and coffee. Thought it was the site water ( we don’t fill the kettle from the caravan tap), eventually worked out it was the kettle. Boiled and discarded the water several times and still could taste it. In the end, discarded the plastic kettle in favour of a stainless steel one
Mel

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On a related subject - every time we go on a trip I have to clean out the filter on the end of the bathroom tap to get a decent flow. There are lots of little bits in it blocking it up. Makes me glad I don't drink the van water but still worry a bit about cleaning teeth.

Does you caravan have a water filter that your not aware of? Some vans had an inline filter installed rather than one in the water inlet connector. If you have an in line, and you've not changed it or isolated it, it may have deteriorated with age and is releasing carbon granules, But normally when this happens you would find the granules at all cold taps.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I agree with the Prof. If the lining had split in an in- line filter, then bits of activated carbon may find their way to the taps.

I 40 years of caravanning We have never needed to clean the tap strainers.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Diverting slightly, a friend has a water softener in his house, this split and contaminated all his water system thankfully it didn't get into his cental heating system. .
I took out. Our Caravan Truma filter, just straight through now.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
No water filter in the line. The bits look more like calcium.

Our house has a whole house carbon block filter and never had any problems with that splitting.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You haven’t bought a new kettle have you? Got a horrid plastic taste in tea and coffee. Thought it was the site water ( we don’t fill the kettle from the caravan tap), eventually worked out it was the kettle. Boiled and discarded the water several times and still could taste it. In the end, discarded the plastic kettle in favour of a stainless steel one
Mel
We also brought a stainless steel one after having a horrid taste in my coffee it works great now

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think Mel is on the right track. Plastic cups and mugs can change the taste, Whale say change the filter in aquaroll every 30 days ! Twice a year works for me as we use the caravan a lot.
Hard and soft water areas will also affect how often scale builds up, I must confess not had Sam’s issue frequency. Maybe Highland Spring isn’t what it used to be😜

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
As we are on site I hoped the shop might have lengths of pipe, but instead was advised to soak the pipe in Milton, so 15 minutes holding both ends while full of diluted stuff, then well rinsed, then reconnected, so far so good as just tastes like Anglian Water supply! Will repeat once we get home as well as buying a new length of some sort!

Reactions: Hutch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I think Mel is on the right track. Plastic cups and mugs can change the taste, Whale say change the filter in aquaroll every 30 days ! Twice a year works for me as we use the caravan a lot.
Hard and soft water areas will also affect how often scale builds up, I must confess not had Sam’s issue frequency. Maybe Highland Spring isn’t what it used to be😜
Highland Spring is good. This was more like Irn 'Filings' Bru.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts