For Nigel - Legal and recommended requirements for overseas touring.

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi
My other half and I are planning a trip to Holland with our van next year, our first overseas trip. As I am sure many other readers are now in the planning stages for next year, has the magazine considered doing an article on what are the legal requirements for towing a van in the various continental countries and also what other recommendations can be made from past experience.

Regards
Steve

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We have visited Europe with the Caravan for 7 years running now for 2/3 months at a time. When we first went with the van I downloaded all the info from the CC Website as being members of the Club and bought the Europe1 and 2 site books which also has all the gen in them. Then after finding about ACSI, join every year and buy the Camping Card. In front of the book that goes with the card, updated every year, the details are for rules, regulations and all the other useful info at the front of each Countries listing.
We me some Dutch people last year in Germany and met up with them again this year in Holland, a very nice, friendly country. If you want to know more about Europe, ACSI and a little on Holland have a look at My Joys of Caravanning website as listed below in my signature. You will never regret going abroad I am sure, especially to Holland for a first then perhaps a little further on another year to Germany and further to Austria and Italy all most wonderful caravan friendly countries.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If one is going to do a thorough job of it, it would be sensible to feature of one country at a time. Some have so many rules, regulations and exceptions that it would be impossible to cover all the necessary information in just one article. If an attempt were to be made to combine everything in one issue, it would have to be a very long article or else it wouldn't be comprehensive enough to be of very much use to anyone, but it would only scratch the surface. Admittedly, some regulations cover situations which may not be particularly common and some are less important than others, but one should be fully informed so that one can avoid all the possible pitfalls.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Holland is something of a surprise for many, but I would proffer the following advice:-
Choose a site well away from the Rotterdam/Amsterdam area. Either go north or (preferably) somewhere east. We found a good site somewhere around Zeist east of Utrecht - can't remember exactly where but it's in the CC book. East and south Holland is generally much nicer than the main cities for touring, but do visit the capital.
Whilst many people in Holland speak English you will often find that all signing on Dutch sites is in Dutch - English is not used - so you sometimes have to make a guess as to there meaning, which is not easy!
Holland is NOT cheap.
In two weeks we didn't once find a large supermarket of the type found in the UK. A UK Lidl is a typical size - in fact Lidl is a good shop to use over there. Aldi in Holland is very much down market and is often found in the rougher areas.
If you want to visit Rotterdam/Amsterdam/Hague go by train. The services are quick and clean and not expensive, and they do time match if you have to change trains. Parking in the cities is a nightmare, especially the glass city that is The Hague.
Note that the Dutch often go to the seaside at the weekend. Zandvoort - the old motor racing circuit - is especially popular for city dwellers - the traffic queues make the M25/M42 look like a picnic!
Finally, and most importantly, your caravan breakaway cable (brake snatch cable) MUST be attached to your towbar. It is NOT acceptable in Holland to loop it over the ball as we do here. It is an on-the-spot fine - and the Police, if bored, often park up outside Europort to stop Britush drivers who know no better.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
stevecw said:
Hi
My other half and I are planning a trip to Holland with our van next year, our first overseas trip. As I am sure many other readers are now in the planning stages for next year, has the magazine considered doing an article on what are the legal requirements for towing a van in the various continental countries and also what other recommendations can be made from past experience.

Regards
Steve

The Caravan Club European Guides, Vols 1&2 contain all that information in detail on each country. The books are avaialable to non members at additional cost.

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts