FOR WENDY

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
03:23 AM Hello wendy,

I have only just looked at the forum to-day, and thus have missed your plea for help.

First of all I am sorry to understand that you have had some sort of accident, and I hope that no one was hurt.

Among all the posting you have received some very sound advice was given by Lord Braykewynde: The content or advice of this forum would not carry any significant weight in a court case. You must seek professional expert affidavit, or be able to present verifiable or validated facts.

Now down to the information you have supplied, which was not very concise, I have had to trawl through numerous new topics to find what your question really is but here goes.

Your car is an 02 ford Focus estate 1.8 Diesel Ghia My source of information suggests that there were two engine variants which have two different towing capacities: 1.8 90Ps diesel has max towing weight of 1200Kg whilst the 1.8 115PS diesel has a maximum towing capacity of 1300Kg.

I have no figures for the Bailey so using yours it has a MTPLM of 1237Kg

Assuming you have loaded the caravan to its maximum, then it would be too heavy for the 90PS car, but OK for the 115PS engine.

However, there is another piece of information that you need, which I do not have access to, and that is the Focuses Maximum train weight.

In most cases, if you load a car to its maximum permitted weight and then add a caravan equal to the cars maximum permitted towing weight, the two combined may exceed the cars maximum train weight, so simply looking at an individual figure can be misleading.

The other problem that I cannot help with, is how much load you have added to the car and the caravan. If you consider that the caravan pay load must include the gas bottles, battery and all the kitchen utensils, power cable, water and waste containers etc, then the 224Kg can be easily swallowed up.

Based on the information I have (which is not verified or validated) It looks as though your outfit is marginal, but without a weigh-bridge no one on this forum can give you the answer or support you are looking for.

YOU MUST SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP. TALK TO YOUR SOLICITOR

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Sorry, I was out last night so I didn't see the flood of messages until this morning.

If the figures that John L quotes in his response are correct (actually my data shows an MTPLM of 1259kg for the caravan and not 1237kg but that's not going to make any difference), then the caravan is NOT too heavy for the Ford Focus. Assuming the less favourable 90PS version of the 1.8TDI in question, this has a maximum towload of 1200kg, as John L has also stated. However, the towload is the AXLE LOAD of the caravan and NOT ITS TOTAL WEIGHT. I don't know what the noseload for a Ford Focus is, probably 75kg, but one would have to check. If the figure is correct, the car may tow a caravan with an MTPLM of 1200 + 75 = 1275kg, which is more than either of the 2 figures found for the Bailey.

SO, BASED ON THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE, NO PROBLEM

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Sorry, I was out last night so I didn't see the flood of messages until this morning.

If the figures that John L quotes in his response are correct (actually my data shows an MTPLM of 1259kg for the caravan and not 1237kg but that's not going to make any difference), then the caravan is NOT too heavy for the Ford Focus. Assuming the less favourable 90PS version of the 1.8TDI in question, this has a maximum towload of 1200kg, as John L has also stated. However, the towload is the AXLE LOAD of the caravan and NOT ITS TOTAL WEIGHT. I don't know what the noseload for a Ford Focus is, probably 75kg, but one would have to check. If the figure is correct, the car may tow a caravan with an MTPLM of 1200 + 75 = 1275kg, which is more than either of the 2 figures found for the Bailey.

SO, BASED ON THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE, NO PROBLEM
Of course, as John says, it all depends on whether the maximum values specified were actually maintained or exceeded. It is relatively easy to overload a caravan without knowing it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Watch out folks its the terrible twos show!!

Does this refer to their real or emotional age?

Who cares

But clearly school is out!

Actually - just thought - based upon the timing of posts - I think these two could well be school kids having a laugh.

That would explain the smut as well.

Come on guys - let us know - Junior or Secondary?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am serious!

The use of bad language, the absolute certainty you have that you are right and everyone else is wrong (Its so UNFAIR!!)

The lack of REAL verbal and comprehension skills!

I think I am dealing with Teenagers

Come on - get together and provide the data you said you had.

If you do'nt I think we will have to conclude that you two were telling Porkies!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am serious!

The use of bad language, the absolute certainty you have that you are right and everyone else is wrong (Its so UNFAIR!!)

The lack of REAL verbal and comprehension skills!

I think I am dealing with Teenagers

Come on - get together and provide the data you said you had.

If you do'nt I think we will have to conclude that you two were telling Porkies!
come on moderator put a stop to the people going off topic and slagging each other off. as you can see i have not logged in for a very long time as the slagging off is offensive bill

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
come on moderator put a stop to the people going off topic and slagging each other off. as you can see i have not logged in for a very long time as the slagging off is offensive bill
I entirely agree with Bill.Moderator, Kanga has now become a major pain. We cannot discuss any topic without him or Clive V butting in to rubbish it. Can we get rid of the pair of them? emmerson

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts