ford diesel engines

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I am considering purchasing a mondeo estate 2Ltr tdci,

the only vehicles that I seem to come across have quite a high mileage, say 100k.

People tell me that 100k is ok and that this means the engine is only halve its age, HELP HELP, Everyone I talk to gives me a different answer!!!!!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Paul,

What a difficult question you've posed, the way I see it is that the TDCI design is relative still new and I haven't seen any really High milage examples (250K plus), so longevity is still a question mark - essentially this design is accepted as one of the best of the current generation diesel engines and I would think that 250K if you choose to own a car for that long is easily achievable.

However you need with a car of that age to know it's been properly serviced - i.e. service book (preferably with all the service sheets) and if possible the reputation of the garage is a big question. I would steer myself towards a car that's been maintained by one of Fords smaller family owned dealership the sort that if they don't do a proper service then the whole town gets to hear of it.

The big dealerships in Fords portfolio in my experience tend to miss things

Regards Monkeys Husband

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul,

I work in Holland and it's common practise for companies to lease cars for 4 years (not 3 like in the UK) so cars regularly hit 150,000 km or more in 4 years.

We have a few Ford Mondeos (and Volvo V50) diesels in our company, and the engine seems to be OK.

The weak point seems to be the in-house "engine management computer" - every other manufacturer seems to use Bosch or Siemens ECU units - and the only ECU failures have been in the Ford.

But if the ECU fails, it seems to fail early in the life of the car (less than 60,000 km) and none of the newest car ECU or replacement ECU have failed.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul

Some of my sales colleagues drive Mondeo's which we keep in the business for three years. Mileages tend to be between 40/50 thousand per year. Mechanically the vehicles are sound and are as quiet and smooth with the additional mileage as they were brand new. As mentioned some earlier models did suffer with ECU problems but this will have been sorted out on a high mileage vehicle. With a full service history there is no reason why you could not get many years trouble free private use. Richard S

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
if buying with this mileage and its been a fleet car , there should be also a service printout detailing all the work done through the life of the car up to present.

check to see what work has been done and if there is a recurring problem throughout the history. we looked at a tdci mondeo with 120k on the clock and it had been off the road several times for engine management faults which was rather off-putting.

in the end we elected to go for the less complex tddi 115 engine which still performs very well but doesnt seem to go wrong as readily as the newer tdci engine. ours has full ford history and the service print-out and has 85k on the clock.

hope you get sorted with one, they are great cars.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
paul i dont know why you are buying a car with such high mileage ,Ford mondeos depreciate so much its hardly worth selling them ,go onto the autotrader web site i am sure you will pick a car with a lot less mileage

Feb 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

The Mondeo TdCI engine is based on the Peugeot/Citroen 2.0 HDI engine. That in turn was based on the 1.9TD 'XUD' unit that is legendary.

I've just bought a 110 HDI in a 52 plate Xsara with 95000miles.

Do not have ANY worries about high mileage modern diesels so long as you pay the right price and the car has FSH. My last car was a 1.9dti Laguna in perfect condition (until somebody wrote it off ) and it had 170000 miles. Previous to that I had an Audi 80TDI which a let go of because I got bored of it, still in perfect condition at 256000 miles

Its' only peoples perceptions that depreciate cars. The previous poster was right about buying a high mileage Ford. The trick is to find one at a low price and get your monies worth out of it.

G

There is no question diesel engines can give very long life time of use. However, as has been mentioned the new common rail diesels are a bit too new to confirm whether they will be as long lasting as the older less stressed versions. The main weakness in the new common rail engine is the injector, which is made by a third party company such as Bosch or Siemens, so your choice of vehicle doesn't apply in the case of failure. It appears the injector in the new common rail engines has a seal in the body which can fail due to the different pressure regime, leading to the injector itself not working. It is not really a major issue but the cost of a set of replacement injectors could be up to

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts