Ford Focus Cmax

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just been away for the weekend with Abbey Aventura (Max. weight 1380kg) and towed for the first time with Focus Cmax 2.0Tdci Ghia (1540kg kerbweight, max. tow 1500kg). Just to say a great drive, steady as a rock, 34mpg (so the trip computer tells me). With 136bhp, 320Nm of torque and ample room this must be one of the best smaller mpv's on the market for use as a tow car. Highly recommend.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Very interested in your comments Dave re focus Cmax 2.0Tdci Ghia as I am considering one of these myself to tow a similar Abbey Aventura special edition at a similar weight. However I have heard the the focus Cmax suspension is a bit on the soft side and the back end sags a bit. Your own experience / views on this would be most appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Very interested in your comments Dave re focus Cmax 2.0Tdci Ghia as I am considering one of these myself to tow a similar Abbey Aventura special edition at a similar weight. However I have heard the the focus Cmax suspension is a bit on the soft side and the back end sags a bit. Your own experience / views on this would be most appreciated.
Hi Alan, as regards the suspension on my cmax I have no sag whatsoever when 'van is hitched up and this certainly wasn't mentioned when it came joint first with the Seat altea for best in class with the C.C. towcar of the year. By the way, just been away for the weekend and set on board computer and received 34 mpg with 'van on the back. Very pleased with the overall performance of the Tdci engine with/without 'van being towed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi, we also have a cmax the 2.0tdci zetec we have been using as a tow car since last july we have had no problems with the suspension at all, although our caravan weighs 1300kg.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan, as regards the suspension on my cmax I have no sag whatsoever when 'van is hitched up and this certainly wasn't mentioned when it came joint first with the Seat altea for best in class with the C.C. towcar of the year. By the way, just been away for the weekend and set on board computer and received 34 mpg with 'van on the back. Very pleased with the overall performance of the Tdci engine with/without 'van being towed.
Hi Dave

I had not used this forum before so thanks for the quick reply, you have certainly put my mind at rest as I had not seen the CC review and the C-max has now just gone to the top of my wanted list.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The May edition of Practical Caravan has a small article about the Focus Cmax - apparantly Ford want it back after a twelve months of evaluation by the magazine. The final but brief observations on this vehicle seem to be very favourable as a tow car. A good all round experience has been achieved.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

I had been considering a C-max for some time and after reading your reply and the others also, I have now taken the plunge and bought a C-Max Giha 2.0 Tdci, picked it up last Friday and get the T/bar fitted this Friday. Did a 250 mile round trip at the weekend (solo) and got 48 mpg, not bad I thought for a new engine not run in, well pleased at present.

First trip with new car and caravan will be Cornwall for Spring Bank week. Done this trip many times over the last 25 years towing and still looking forward to it. This is about 325 mile from our home in South Yorkshire.

Thanks again for the reply, the forum pages are now a regular read for me. Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave,

Your comments on the cmax are i think very exaggerated, I was travelling down the M54 towing my coachman with a Porsche Cayenne and I flew past a dark maroon cmax pulling an abbey and I thought at the time how slow the cmax was because it couldn't keep up with me and I was only doing a steady 95. I think the cmax would be better with a V8

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy, seriously, on your journey along the M54 you didnt happen to see that VW Passat towing that Amara that was shaking up/down side to side due to nuts and bolts dropping off the tow bar did you?

May 10, 2005
Visit site
I'm so pleased to find your article. I am about to buy a caravan and lowest mtplm is around 1300kg. The CMAX 2.0 TDCi just fits the bill regarding 85% rule but today I found that Ford include the driver in the kerbweight at 75kg, so the actual 85% figure is only arond 1225kg. I am rather concerned that if i load the caravan to be near its max weight i could be in trouble. Any advice. I should say that we're always likely to be loading the car up too (within limits) so perhaps there's some saving grace? Thanks, Colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin, I weighed my 2.0ltr Tdci on a public weighbridge, (without me in it!) and it came out as 1540kg so I honestliy feel that the wrong info. may have been given you.

May 10, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt response. I did wonder since i've found that the EEC 99 directive that other mfrs quote does not include the driver, perhaps Ford's literature was copy/pasted without checking. When I drove the Cmax yesterday I was surprised by the wind noise levels at around 70mph, otherwise it felt great. The Towcar of the Year summary said that the ride deterioted when towing - any opinions on this since I have 2 kids that are very prone to car sickness, hence the move to an MPV with a better view for them. Sorry to be a pain, but thanks for your time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin. I honestly cant say what the ride in the back is like when towing (no one sits in the back to give any feed back). With correct loading and tyre pressures I found the ride in the front excellent (no pitching/swaying. I must also say that there is very little-no wind noise whilst driving at motorway speeds.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt response. I did wonder since i've found that the EEC 99 directive that other mfrs quote does not include the driver, perhaps Ford's literature was copy/pasted without checking. When I drove the Cmax yesterday I was surprised by the wind noise levels at around 70mph, otherwise it felt great. The Towcar of the Year summary said that the ride deterioted when towing - any opinions on this since I have 2 kids that are very prone to car sickness, hence the move to an MPV with a better view for them. Sorry to be a pain, but thanks for your time.
When our 2 kids were small they suffered with car sickness also until someone advised that we fitted a static discharge strip under the car that just touches the floor. I was a bit sceptical at first but I must admit it did seam to help. Not a total cure but much better. You can get these for a few quid from most motor accessory shops. For what they cost its worth a try.

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts