ford focus estate 2.0 tdci zetec

Sep 8, 2004
Visit site
thinking about changing my megane estate 1.9 dci for the new focus[2008 onwards]think the 2.0 would be better than the 1.8,also i think the zetec has sports tuned suspension[would this make a difference with a 'van on the back]i think the focus is slightly heavier than the megane although the megane copes very well with my 'van,both power & weight, it's always nice to have a bit more of both !!!! would appreciate any thoughts on the subject,my 'van by the way is a 2000 ranger 460/2 with a 17cwt ulw/mro.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
The 1.8L TDci is a newer engine design and is more than powerful enough for your caravan. Of course the 2.0L offers more power and weight. Have you considered a nearly new Mondeo rather than the Focus, the Mondeo is all together a better car. I have always thought that the Ford Focus is badly over rated while the Mondeo is generally under rated in public opinion.

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
The 1.8L TDci is a newer engine design and is more than powerful enough for your caravan. Of course the 2.0L offers more power and weight. Have you considered a nearly new Mondeo rather than the Focus, the Mondeo is all together a better car. I have always thought that the Ford Focus is badly over rated while the Mondeo is generally under rated in public opinion.
I have a ford focus hatchback 1.8 diesel (125bhp) 2008 and i pull a bailey ranger,it is excellent car for the job and get very good fuel economy.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian, I drive both, I have a 2006 Mondeo 2.0L TDCi (115bhp) and the wife has a 2007 Focus (the 2008 is only a face lift not a new car). I drive both regularly and as I said the 1.8TDci is easily powerful enough for towing, I have always found the Mondeo to handle better, is (obviously) more roomy and far more comfortable for longer journeys. I always feel that I am sitting too high in the Focus and I always get back ache. The Fiesta is even worse, in a Fiesta I feel that the front seats are tipped forward slightly making it feel like you are about to slide forward out of the seat. Horrible.

Given that there is a new Mondeo now which is supposedly even better than my Mk3 I would stand by what I said, it would be better to but a Mondeo. There is surprisingly little difference in purchase price if you go for nearly new rather than brand new.

I am surprised you think the Focus gives excellent fuel economy. I have always been very disappointed in how fuel economic either Ford (Focus or Mondeo) is as both cars give around 42mpg mixed cycle in solo driving. My older (2002) Mondeo 2.0L TDDi used to average 48mpg and my old 1999 Skoda Octavia TDi averaged just over 50mpg doing exactly the same sort of driving.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts