Ford Mondeo Diesel v VW Passat Diesel

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Sorry guys i know that i have put a post on regarding the towing capability of the VW Golf and have since found out that it is not a good match to tow my recently purchased 2003 Coachman Amara 5005 with an MPTLW of 1400kg.
As i am returning to the uk soon i have kind of narrowed down my choice to either a 2004 + VW Passat Turbo Diesel or a 2004 + Ford Mondeo Turbo Diesel both estate versions.
My questions are which of these 2 vehicles has the better towing capabilities for the above mentioned caravan combined with safety, comfort and economy.
Is there any other vehicles that you think may be suitable to do the job as being in Australia i am not too conversant with UK makes/models, the only other one that i am familiar with is the Skoda Octavia Estate so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
My first van was an Amara 500/5 2005 model towed with a 2002 Mondeo Zetec S diesel estate. Great towing car IMO - go for at least the 130bhp and all estate models from Zetec S upwards have self-leveling suspension. Can't comment on the Passatt but the Mondoe is a well respected tow car and would thoroughly recommend it.

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
We also have a Mondeo130 diesel 2007 Ghia estate last of that model and tow an Eldiss Avanta 505 great tow car never use 6th for towing in 5th approx 2200 revs is just over 60mph and can do 300 miles in 6 hours in France using cruise control most of the time , you can get a 2.2 150 diesel as well

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
HI
I have a 2004 Ford Mondeo and also tow a van of 1400kg. It is a great tow car I have the 130 bhp turbo diesel and it is more than capable of towing my van. I have been to France with the van and towed all over the UK with no problems atol there is plenty of power for long hills and overtaking etc. They are also quite good on diesel even when towing I can acheive about 34 mpg on the motorway.So if you won't go wrong if you buy one of these.
Hope this helps!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys, seems like the Mondeo is doing good on the leader board, its always good to get knowledge from people that actualy own and tow with them and can give their opinion from experience so thank you one and all.
Son in law also owns from memory a 2009/10 Mondeo 2.0 TDI Sedan and tows a 2001 Coachman Pastiche 530/4 with i imagine a similar weight to the 5005 Amara and he said the Mondeo tows it without any probs.
Have had a quick look at them on eBay and seem to like the 2007 plus Ghia model, it looks sleeker in design than its previous models especially with that rear spoiler and alloys.
I would imagine that the forum has some VW Passat owners so it would be good to hear from you guys also regarding the VW Passat.
Thank you to allmembers that have replied, your information has been much appreciated and taken on board.
Tony

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Auspom said:
Sorry guys i know that i have put a post on regarding the towing capability of the VW Golf and have since found out that it is not a good match to tow my recently purchased 2003 Coachman Amara 5005 with an MPTLW of 1400kg.
As i am returning to the uk soon i have kind of narrowed down my choice to either a 2004 + VW Passat Turbo Diesel or a 2004 + Ford Mondeo Turbo Diesel both estate versions.
My questions are which of these 2 vehicles has the better towing capabilities for the above mentioned caravan combined with safety, comfort and economy.
Is there any other vehicles that you think may be suitable to do the job as being in Australia i am not too conversant with UK makes/models, the only other one that i am familiar with is the Skoda Octavia Estate so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
Both your choices have increased nose weight limits, on the newer models, 90kg on the latest.
I believe the very early models were only 75kg.
And i wouldn't dismiss the Vectra, or insignia as its now called.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
RAY said:
And i wouldn't dismiss the Vectra, or insignia as its now called.
The Vectra-C, of the age Auspom is looking at, is a very under-rated car - it's bigger than the Insignia that followed it - the Vectra-C estate version is even bigger as it has 100mm longer wheelbase than the saloon/hatch.
If Auspom is looking for an automatic, the Aisin autobox in the Vectra is much more reliable than the Jatco box in the Mondeo - Ford eventually ditched the Jatco and changed to Aisin in about 2008/9.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts