Ford Mondeo

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
Evening all.

I'm looking at buying a Mondeo 2.0 litre tdci 140 bhp. 9 months to a year old. I would like an estate but they're as rare as rocking horse poo so it will have to be a hatch back. The mtplm of my caravan is 1350kg. If anyone has one, could you give me some feedback please on what are the like to tow with.

Many thanks.

Phil.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
i have a mondeo,1.8 p,its a 02,got it chipped a few years ago.and have been towing with it the last 5 years,great car and its never misted a beat.

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Darragh.

Thanks very much for your reply, but I was after some info on the latest Mondeo, if anybody has some info, it would be most helpful.

Thanks again,

Phil.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
I have a 59 plate Mondeo 2.0 ltr and have had no problems towing very stable with no modification to the suspension and tow the same weight as you this is now my 4th Mondeo with a break in the middle with an X Trail and was delighted to get back to the Ford.

At the moment I am only averageing 27-28 mpg but it has only done 6000 miles so probably not loosened up yet about 48 mpg solo in motorway driving but have had 55mpg sitting around 50mph

I also find the new Mondeo will sit nicely at 60 in 6th gear when with the older models you had to stay in 5th. I am delighted with mine.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Phil

I have been towing with my Mondeo 58 plate 2.0 tdci for about 2 months and I find it much better than the 2.0 tdci Ghia C Max on a 55 plate. I think the MPG is 30 + when towing and about 45 solo. The car cruises well in 6th on a level motorway and copes well on gradients. The hatchback has a massive bootspace and the car is very comfortable. Mine is the basic model but has all the things I need as a tow car.

Hope this helps

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
If I remember correctly, the new mondeo was the camping and caravan club's towcar of the year last year, and if its anything like the old one, which I drive, then you shouldn't have any problems

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi all.

Thanks very much for the replies. Busman, I was also thinking of an X Trail, but after talking to a woman in work who has an 04 plate one, the clutch went at 16,000 miles the turbo has also been replaced and now she has a fuel pump problem, could cost over

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

my 2.0 estate (130bhp)is 06 plate so maybe a bit old for you. Has 70k miles now(have had it about a year).

I tow an avondale dart about the same weight as yours. Just done 3000 miles through Spain and France without any probs. Averaged 34 overall(better with roofbox than without)

My only complaint is that its a bit low (I have a bad back) to get in and out and the rear susp is a bit soft (I'm thinking of replacing rear springs which may be a bit tired). Have a look at http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=13 for opinions on the model.

hth's

Graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts