Ford S-Max

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
Thinking of purchasing a new s-max 2.0 TCDI Zetec. Does anybody who has an S-Max (any model) have any comments positive or negative on them as a tow car, general day to day use?

many thanks

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

We have covered 8000 miles in our S-max 2.0 tdci, we will be towing our Lunar Gemini 20' twin axle 1400kg caravan for the first time next week, we used to tow it with a 110bhp Sharan tdi with excellent stability and adequate power. The S-max has far better solo roadholding than the shaz and has 35% more torque so we are not expecting any problems. MPV's are designed to be stable at high speed fully laden so most of them are excelent towcars.

What we like:

Style - looks more like a hatchback on steroids than an mpv

Performance and roadholding - first car for a long time to put a smile on my face.

Cruise control.

Economy- 40 mpg average, 60mpg @55mph

Not having to remove the seats

What we don't like:

It's built by Ford.

Power delivery - no response then all hell breaks loose when the turbo starts spinning -would recommend traction control.

6 speed gearbox - just another notch to find, on a long trip to Andorra we found that 5th used 7% LESS fuel than 6th at 55 and 80 mph but it was quieter in 6th

The DVD player is c**p - you need to limbo under the front seat to change a disc

We didnt trade in and got the local Ford dealer to come within

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
hello gary,just reading your thread on the s-max.bit suprised at the power delivery,do you think it might be a pain with the van in tow?

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Whilst it takes some getting used to I think the power delivery is the price you pay for getting that much power from a 2.0 diesel. My wife drives the S-max 90% of the time and I have a 2.5 non turbo Ducato van so I'm driving with the pedal hard on the floor most of the time so it's two different driving styles, I plan to swap the Ducato for a 125hp tdci Transit which will be a bit more like driving the S-max.

One other point about the S-max, despite what some reviews say, is that the rear seats actually have more headroom than the old Galaxy / shaz but you are sat nearer the floor so your knees are bent more.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
yes gary ,i know what your saying.its the best of both worlds or not.ive been in a couple of tdci,s like that all or nothing.we use a 1.9 140jtd fiat .but this has instant boost from 1500rpm.i think it must be down to the varible geometry turbo.

Apr 22, 2007
Visit site
Mark, this maybe too late. I have a S-max zetec 2.0 tDCI and it tows great. travelled up to Matlock with it the other week, towed in 6th gear at 60 no problems. caravan max is 1305kg. Steve

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Having now had a chance to tow our 20'T/A caravan with the S-max, I would not recommend towing in 6th, whilst the engine is capable of holding 60 on the flat, it uses more fuel and places excessive strain on the engine when producing near maximum torque for long periods.

We found 4th to be the most economical gear for towing, sometimes selecting 5th or 6th for long, shallow decents.

We were right not to bother with the self levelling suspension option, with the van hitched on and a bootful of kit, the rear suspension barely moved.

May 9, 2007
Visit site
Can anyone advise? Thinking about buying an 06 s max 2.0dci diesel. The handbook in the car shows the kerb wt of 1736kg but doesn't give the engines max tow.

I have the current brochure from the dealers which states max tow of 1700 or there abouts on the NEW 07 version, but can anyone tell me if this is definitely the same for the '06' model. I don't want to get caught out as I am about to change my van to a MTPLM 1500kg.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
According to the Ford glossy brochure we got in July last year the max tow weight for the 2.0 tdci S-max is 1750 kg (only 1450 for the 1.8 tdci)

May 9, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that, after posting message I rang FORD helpline and they confirmed that 06 model was the same as the 07. Have now paid deposit for Smax and collecting in 2 weeks, can't wait.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts