Forgot the Key - oops

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I carry a cheap wheel clamp which I use on an offside wheel of the van as a visible deterant. My real security comes from the Alko locks on near side but these are hidden by the awning skirt.

In pouring rain this morning I got around to removing the wheel clamp. OH NO I DIDN'T, no R..dy key. - oops.

Lessons learnt:-

1/ Clamp useless, I removed the clamp with no damage and no key in 3 minutes !!

2/ If the lock doesnt need a key to lock it, always keep it locked when not in use. That way if you don't have the key you can't use the lock in the first place.

3/ Don't go on holiday with me !

Mind you, despite the **** up being my fault, I earned some brownie points with Mrs Thorpedo when I surpassed myself getting the clamp off so quickly and without attracting the attention of everyone on the site.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
As you say lessons to be learnt,I would be interested to know what clamp it was that gave up so easily.Equaly you say you attracted no attention,thats a bit more of a worry than the ease with which you removed the clamp,because there your van is on site and someone forcibly removing the clamp and nobody bats an eyelid.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A few years ago my wife and I went to Paignton and on arrival discovered that neither of us had the key for the caravan. The site owners phoned around a few local dealers but they were not able to help. The conclusion was that we would site the van, return back to South Wales for the keys and then go back down to Paignton. We sited the van and went into the boot of the car to get the leg winder - lo and behold in one of my shoes in the boot of the car were the caravan keys. The site personnel had a good laugh but I blamed the wife for putting them there and she blamed me. The outcome of the saga was that we had a second set cut and one set of keys were put on my wife's bunch of keys and the other set was on my car keys so that we both had a set for all future uses. It has amicabley remained like that now for a few years - we now have other things to argue about.

Nov 14, 2006
Visit site
I'm glad my husband is not the only one to forget keys.(bless him) We are at the Chertsey c &cc site but very nearly didn't get here. Our van is stored at Fareham c.c site, when we arrived to pick it up ,he said the dreaded words.... who's got the keys!!

HE had forgotten them. the only answer was to go back and get them.... we live on the Isle of Wight!!

What a bummer.

Nov 14, 2006
Visit site
I'm glad my husband is not the only one to forget keys.(bless him) We are at the Chertsey c &cc site but very nearly didn't get here. Our van is stored at Fareham c.c site, when we arrived to pick it up ,he said the dreaded words.... who's got the keys!!

HE had forgotten them. the only answer was to go back and get them.... we live on the Isle of Wight!!

What a bummer.

Nov 14, 2006
Visit site

What a bummer.
oops hit button twice...

Nov 14, 2006
Visit site
Hey Dawn it wasn't me who put the keys in the shoe in the boot of the car - you are now jumping to the wrong conclusion LOL
My OH only has 2 things to remember

1 cordless drill

2 the keys

how hard is that? I do all the pitch booking, ferry booking, packing etc etc....oh he does do all the driving. So I better give him a brownie point for that :)

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Plotter

http://www.towsure.com/product/13023-Lightweight_Wheel_Clampmine is 2 years old and doesn't have the circular disc in the center.

I was typing a description of how I removed it, but decided I wouldn't be thanked by people using just one of these clamps.

No force, no key, no noise, and no damage to wheel or clamp or van.

Colin

This is not my best and most stupid camping episode - hee hee

About 27 years ago I picked up Mrs T from work zoomed off for a weekend at Durdle Door in Dorset. Got the frame tent out and the pegs, and the poles, the poles!, what poles?. arggg

Home we went,( Mrs T and Mr unpopular) put the poles into the car, went straight to bed got up at 5 am and were cooking breakfast outside our erected tent at Durdle door by 8am sat.

Now who's going to tell me they forgot the Caravan, the car or the wife.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thorpedo - I would keep quiet about holidaying in Dorset. I made one mention of a certain nudist beach in that fine county and Plotter has not let me forget it. Every time I refer to our holidays in Dorset, a county we love very much he is on to it as if there is no tomorrow.

From your posting can I assume that Mrs. T. did not travel home with you but with another gentleman of unusual surname? Wouldn't it be great if you could go away with the van and forget to take the wife? Now doesn't that conjour up some wonderful thoughts hehehe

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well if I'm honest, it was a deliberate ploy for Mrs T to go home in disgust, leaving me in Dorset near a nudist beach.

Did I mention that I remembered the Binoculars but forgot the speedo's as well :0)

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
For various reasons, one of course being stupidity, I drove off my wheelclamp the other month without even realising until I heard it scraping along the ground under the van.

I replaced it with the

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

We have forgotten the keys for things many times !!

We were in Lleithyr meadow cc site once and we arrived set up and sat inside as it was blowing a gale 8 outside, friends then arrived and pitched next door, and wanted to put their awning up so we went out to help them. At the time our son was about 8 and didn't really know how to use the caravan door and the lock had been fixed previously and put back the wrong way so the handle down was locked. He was last coming out of the van and slammed the door after him. Wind got stronger and stronger and we managed to sort out our friends before the rain started so then they went to get some food and we went back to the van, DOOR LOCKED KEYS INSIDE !!.

What to do ?? And to make matters worse thunder and lightening started and the heavens opened, we had no awning so no shelter and a locked door. We went over to the wardens who handed us a box of rusty old keys and said try them so I started 1 by 1 and none of them worked, there was about 5 left in the box and then the dog knocked the box over and the 5 left fell into the hundreds we had already tried, with a now soaking family i was getting desperate and at random started picking keys and to my utter shock the most rusted key opened the door (just).

This was an experience we never forgot and from now on we carry 2 sets of keys with us, and 1 set I take with me everywhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts