Forum Downtime - Migration Begins 11 December

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHaines

Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
Greetings, folks!

We’ve very excited to announce that the migration of the Practical Caravans & Practical Motorhome forums to a combined forum using the Xenforo platform is scheduled for this week!

Starting on Wednesday, 11 December 2019 we’ll bring both forums offline to begin migration. This may take approximately 48 hours, but we’ll do our best to keep folks informed if things need to adjust for any reason. The downtime and migration will start once we have all the pieces in place, so we’re not setting a specific start time as we’d rather remain flexible to give the best possible experience for everyone.

The new forum that covers both motorhomes and caravans will come online on Friday, 13 December 2019. We’ll update the links on the editorial pages for both sites to bring you to the new home of our upgraded forums so it will be easy for everyone to find at a glance.

We’re working to start copying the existing forums once we have brought them offline to keep lost posts to a minimum. There may be some period of time where new posts that happen on Wednesday do not make the move, but those should be fairly minimal.

Thanks so much to all of your for your patience during this downtime. We can’t wait to share the new forums with you all!

Best,
Steve Haines - Community Manager

SHaines

Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
I didn't realize that was the case until I was writing it down above. Somehow I think we're all going to make it through all right. Just let me know if you break a mirror or anything related.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
EH52ARH said:
Gòd luck, let hope it all goes well

In the light of the previous comment from MikeyW, which are you hoping goes well the UK election or the new forrum format? :unsure:

What Is there an Election coming up soon, I must have missed that, in my local pub , there is a No Smoking, No politics and No Women. Allowed in the Snug bar.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
ProfJohnL said:
EH52ARH said:
Gòd luck, let hope it all goes well

In the light of the previous comment from MikeyW, which are you hoping goes well the UK election or the new forrum format? :unsure:

What Is there an Election coming up soon, I must have missed that, in my local pub , there is a No Smoking, No politics and No Women. Allowed in the Snug bar.

Heaven on Earth :)

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Having been involved in big upgrades of systems over the years when I was working, I hope it goes really well for all involved... I had too many "it's taking longer than we thought but we're past the point of no return" instances where some heroes worked up to 36 hrs....

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
Dodger524 said:
48 hours without this forum. :woohoo:

How will I survive?

You could always get away from it all in the caravan for a couple of days! :lol:

As Terry Wogan commented about a morning weather report ‘Might be a good idea to look out of the window”.
Strong winds today and tomorrow in these here parts :)

SHaines

Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
Having been involved in big upgrades of systems over the years when I was working, I hope it goes really well for all involved... I had too many "it's taking longer than we thought but we're past the point of no return" instances where some heroes worked up to 36 hrs....

Having worked in the video games business for years, I am very familiar with that as well. The good news here is that the risk of that is relatively small. We can't guarantee a completely painless migration, but we've done a ton of work behind the scenes to get ready, so things are looking good.

This is a measure four times and cut once kind of situation. We've successfully launched 9 new forums or migrations in 2019 alone, so we're getting pretty good at it.

Once we're on the new system, that will leave us a ton of room to grow as well. We hope anyone who stayed in contact with previous users will reach out and let them know about the new system, once it's back online.

I am very excited for the fresh launch on Friday!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Parksy said:
Dodger524 said:
48 hours without this forum. :woohoo:

How will I survive?

You could always get away from it all in the caravan for a couple of days! :lol:

I was hoping to do that this week and go just North of Dusty Dog, The Thames head Inn, but an old mate from Canada has turned up and want to sample some local beer, so can't get away. Maybe the week after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts