Foul tasting water issues

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Generally this seems to only affect the newer type of van. I know this has been raised previously on this forum and others, but I would like to get an idea of how many people have tried to get rid of the foul water taste in their caravans using all sorts of suggested methods but in the end gave up and now either buy water from the local supermarket or fill the kettle directly from the tap.

The manufacturer, year of your van and any other related information that you feel may be helpful is all that is required and then hopefully we can chase the manufacturers to rectify the problem. Perhaps it is because the offending item is sourced from a common manufacturer for a number of different brands of caravan and not quite up to standard hence the reason for only certain vans to be affected.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

I have a Lunar Lexon 2004 model the water tastes like TCP. We always use an empty 5 ltr water bottle and fill it straight from the tap.One shouldn't have to do this but it's no big inconvenience and it's always fresh.

Regards Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we have 1999 Sterling Starlight with same problem. No matter how many times I have flushed the system through with all the usual proprietry sterilizers and cleaners, we still had the horrible water taste. Our system does not have any type of filter fitted, so we bought an in line filter kit from our local accessory shop.It is let in to the water inlet pipe just after it has entered the van. Problem solved now we can drink water straight from our caravan tap. Just change the filter once a year. hope this helps

Sue

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I had the same problem and found that the hose I was using to fill the water barrels was not food grade. The taste was the releasing agent used in the manufacture of the plastic.

Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete has highlighted a possible cause, and as he correctly says the filler pipe may not be food grade product. However to every one who has the TCP taste and if it is a new caravan then instruct your dealer to replace the pipes under warranty. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 and other relevant legislation states That goods must be as described, fir for purpose and of satisfactory quality. Water pipes that produce a taste in the water are not of satisfactory quality, and so the dealer has failed in their contract to you. Don't be fobbed off by the dealer saying its up to the caravan manufacturer, the dealer is the one with the legal responsibility to the customer, not the manufacturer.

We have had plastic pipes in domestic water supplies for many years that don't produce a taste in the water so it s not rocket science to produce a tasteless pipe.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Similar problems with Pastiche fittered with Carver crystal filter.

Remember to remove filter element when flushing lines thro with cleaner, or filter collects and holds all the cleaner taste and releases it into the water afterwards. Also, on a new site, check the taste of the water straight from the tap - it's not always as good as your water at home may be. One instance is CC site Great Yorks Showground harrogate where water is from a bore hole and can very according to recent weather.

Also be aware that bleach type cleaners - Milton - can get into plastic if left in contact in high concentrations and for any length of time.

Finally, try increasing the ratio of gin to ice in the G&T

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We bought a 2003 Sterling Sapphire & could not get rid of plastic taste in water. Cured it by fitting in line filter from Filta pac. Personally I think its the type of blue soft plastic pipes the manufacturers use these days. Our previous van was a 1997 crown sceptre which had clear water pipes with a blue or red stripe which I know were of a harder compound than those fitted to the Sterling. It also had a crystal filter fitted as standard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the van is on HP then it is the responsibility of the finance company to get it sorted out. This is a very strong leverage point for any one pursuing the issue. Ray has raised a very valid point and it is strongly suggested that you taste the water at source before it enteres your van which is what we have done, however as we mainly caravan around the Midlands region which is covered by Severn Trent, I think this is unlikely in this case.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a 2001 Bailey Pageant Magenta which uses a polythene jerrycan water container, Whale pump inlet, Whale taps, Whale Aqua-Source filter (changed every year), Truma water heater and old-fashioned blue & red flexible water pipes. We DON'T have any problem with water taste. We purge the complete system twice a year with Puriclean, which is chlorine based, and then flush through with clean water. I believe that proper filters and regular use of chlorine avoids the problem completely.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We also have had problems with water taste sometimes we also clean our pipes with puriclen but now we only use the water from the caravan tap for washing up.

We purchased a Brita Filter Kettle and filter all drinking water through the kettle and keep a bottle in the fridge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Had an Elddis Firestorm (Avante) 505, 2004 from new. All new kit, Aquaroller, etc. Water tasted chemically from the start and hasn't got any better. To be hones I've not tried to do anything about it.

I found it easier to fill a seperate collapsable water container for drinking water and keep it under the caravan. I then fill a 1 litre bottle that's kept inside the caravan from it as and when required.

We have to make up bottles of follow-on milk for our son, so we decided if was the safest option anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts