Found a new lead on my caravan

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
Hi i just bought a used Bailey pursuit caravan. The bloke that had it before myself obviously knew what he was doing as there are additional extension leads wired in , sky tv wires wired in alarm clocks wired in etc...i was hitching the caravan to my car yesterday when i noticed a small lead hanging down with a weather proof connection next to the jockey wheel. Does anyone know what this would be used for? or if it should be connected to something. I tried to look under the van but it was raining and i didnt fancy getting soaked. How do you add a photo and i'll stick a photo on.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
grgill said:
Hi i just bought a used Bailey pursuit caravan. The bloke that had it before myself obviously knew what he was doing as there are additional extension leads wired in , sky tv wires wired in alarm clocks wired in etc...i was hitching the caravan to my car yesterday when i noticed a small lead hanging down with a weather proof connection next to the jockey wheel. Does anyone know what this would be used for? or if it should be connected to something. I tried to look under the van but it was raining and i didnt fancy getting soaked. How do you add a photo and i'll stick a photo on.

Could it be a coax for a tv or a sat connection from a sat dish?

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
I have no idea. It doesn't look like any tv aerial lead i've seen. Could be for satellite tho. If anyone can tell me how to add a picture i'll pop one on

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
grgill said:
I have no idea. It doesn't look like any tv aerial lead i've seen. Could be for satellite tho. If anyone can tell me how to add a picture i'll pop one on

You need to use a photo hosting site such as postimage dot org or similar, and when you are creating a post, simply click the image link button above the emojis (small square vista with chain link), set the size to 400, and add the direct URL for the image. easy !
Use the preview to check it looks how you want it to - I found it rotated my images without me asking.

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
This is the lead

aki3rb04x
DSC_0774.jpg
DSC_0779.jpg

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
I cant ask previous owner unfortunately hes in another country now, and i will check at the rear of the caravan in case it was a for a camera to see if there are any signs. I'm only asking as i asked one guy at a campsite and he said it may be to do with the brakes on the caravan to minimise snaking should it occur, he said if it was it brakes on the opposite wheel to the snaking switching the braking from side to side to bring the van under control. Maybe he was having a laugh at our expense i dont know, the sooner i find out what it is then the sooner i can decide if its required.

Cheers for all your help

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
grgill said:
I cant ask previous owner unfortunately hes in another country now, and i will check at the rear of the caravan in case it was a for a camera to see if there are any signs. I'm only asking as i asked one guy at a campsite and he said it may be to do with the brakes on the caravan to minimise snaking should it occur, he said if it was it brakes on the opposite wheel to the snaking switching the braking from side to side to bring the van under control. Maybe he was having a laugh at our expense i dont know, the sooner i find out what it is then the sooner i can decide if its required.

Cheers for all your help

He wasnt having a laugh the Alko ATC does just that to prevent snaking but I don’t know what the connections are to a ATC.

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
So it is for the brakes then? does anyone know what i need to do to be able to connect this thing up? do i need to buy something. I'm literally clueless on this lead other than what you guys have said but it obviously connects to something else at the front end of the caravan

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
If Alko ATC is fitted then it would be connected to whichever electrical connection there is with the towing vehicle. You can find the Alko handbook here: http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/handbooks/atc-handbook.pdf which may be of help.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I doubt it Paul. Al-ko ATC for at least ten years has been power supplied via the 12s or more recent 13 pin plug / socket.
What I see , and it is my best guess, is a reversing camera point. If so there must be a similar cable near the dash board area but not on the OPs :)
Imo, it has nothing to do with the elementary towing connections.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
PaulT said:
I still think it's the lead that runs from the ATC to the LED light which is in the drawer bar cover.
I see what you mean now. Fallen off the lamp?
Here’s the two lamp leads. What do you think?
https://www.al-ko.com/shop/uk_vt/products/caravan-accessories-1/al-ko-atc.html

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
The LED should be in the draw bar housing but they do fail, perhaps the previous owner was too tight to replace it and just removed it.

Question to the OP, when you connect up the caravan to the car do you hear a "whirring" noise as the ATC self tests? If so, this would indicate that ATC is fitted and its just the bulb that is missing. Could you take a picture of the top of the draw bar housing - it might show a hole where the LED should go.

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
I cant recall ever hearing a whirring noise. i'm popping up at the weekend to where i have the caravan stored so i will get on my back and slide underneath to see whats going on and where the wire goes too. i'll get some photos too.

There is definitely no hole or LED on the draw bar cover. But i'll get a photo of that too.

thanks for all your help so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts