Four or two motors for a twin axle caravan motor mover?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Possibly the answer is it depends. Most movers have a weight limit which you should not exceed but most lighter twin axles should manage with one axle but heavier ones will need two.
All movers will have a maximum weight limit as part of their specification,
You should never fit a mover that is not compatible with the weight of caravan you have.
You should only fit a mover to a TA if it is specifically specified to be suitable.

Its as black and white as that .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Possibly the answer is it depends. Most movers have a weight limit which you should not exceed but most lighter twin axles should manage with one axle but heavier ones will need two.
Our Lunar Lexon TA MTPLM 1800kg was fitted with a Powertouch single axle heavy duty mover. It weighed approximately 30kg. On a 25 % gradient maximum weight was 1800kg.
The Powertouch AWD motor mover that we have fitted on our current caravan weighs in at about 60kg. On a 20% gradient maximum weight is 2100kg,
In both cases unlikely to ever encounter a 20 or 25% gradient.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You would be surprised at how often you do encounter gradients in that ball park. You might not see them as gradients but the caravan mover does, and I'm referring to stones or kerbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Aug 11, 2005
Visit site
To turn my caravan round on my block paved drive I use car wheel skates under the non driven wheels. I also have a set of skates with a towbar bolted to it. This allows the jockey wheel to be raised to its highest position and be just clear of the ground. Obviously this technique is only suitable for home use.
Yep, I second that! I've just purchased a pair of hydraulic wheel skates for £135, a great investment. Can easily spin our van round now on a Presscrete surface and then manoeuvre it into its spot on the driveway. Really quick and easy to use, a little bit bulky to store, but overall well worth the money.

Attachments

• Skated001.jpeg
    Skated001.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Danddandy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yep, I second that! I've just purchased a pair of hydraulic wheel skates for £135, a great investment. Can easily spin our van round now on a Presscrete surface and then manoeuvre it into its spot on the driveway. Really quick and easy to use, a little bit bulky to store, but overall well worth the money.
They are good but no use on a caravan site where you probably need it the most.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Our Lunar Lexon TA MTPLM 1800kg was fitted with a Powertouch single axle heavy duty mover. It weighed approximately 30kg. On a 25 % gradient maximum weight was 1800kg.
The Powertouch AWD motor mover that we have fitted on our current caravan weighs in at about 60kg. On a 20% gradient maximum weight is 2100kg,
Ramps can easily be 25%.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Agreed, too bulky and heavy to carry around. Need to rely on reversing skills, combined with the mover on site!
On some sites because of the narrow roadways and the warden making sure that you do not touch a blade of grass, reversing onto the pitch is out of the question. :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Outfits parked opposite can sometimes make manoeuvring onto or off of a pitch difficult and many continental sites are tight. Some even ask you to unhitch and they will tow it around and pitch it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we were seasonal it was quicker for owner using his pickup backing our twin axle onto our pitch he often got it set up for us from storage then using the two motor movers :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Last two weeks we have been pitched nose first due to Covid regs🙀🙀. Reversing out with the mover was difficult. The driven axle on the TA had wheel spin on the lose round stone surface. Out came the wooden levelling boards and all sorted. There are limitations but nothing is insurmountable if you are prepared!

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Good to hear that it works for you. I used hydraulic wheel skakes initially but after 3 years I invested in skates that are mechanical, using a battery hand drill to operate them. They are lighter and no foot peddle to operate for a guy with dogey knees. .

Reactions: Freelander2
Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Also the second set of skates were ordered with a rubber/plastic wheels which didn't leave marks on the drive block paving. ( Any marks did disappear over time). This caravaning hobby is an ongoing learning curve. .

TRENDING THREADS