France debit/credit cards for fuel.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
We have always taken cash when abroad for reasons but last week got caught out with lack of fuel so went into a town and found the local garage closed for couple of hours and it was open to card owners.So put card in and chose fuel, pressed "V" and put pin number in, nothing happened and card came out so had to wait the 2 hours .It was my own fault for not learning how to do this simple job. So what is the correct way of using the machine?.

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
You don't state where you tried to use your cards. The problem you had is more likely to be due to the age of your card or the pump equipment.

Not all UK issued chip and PIN credit or debit cards are recognised by the automatic pumps installed at French petrol stations. I have recently issued chip and pin cards (Nationwide and HSBC) which work in the local Leclerc and Auchan supermarkets in Lot et Garonne (Dept 47). It's is a bit of a lottery, however more and more French supermarkets are installing readers that work with British issued cards. If you are really stuck, offer to pay a local in cash if he uses his French credit card to pay for your fuel. It helps if you have some rudimentary French! You may get a funny look at first but if you show him/her the colour of your money then you should be Ok. It's worked for me a few times. But, to explain the normal practice - you normally put the card in the machine - make sure it's inserted the correct way. Put in your PIN and "Validate" (green button) then choose what fuel you want (SP 95, Gazole etc). Once the machine recognises your card it will ask if you want a receipt then ask you to remove it before it dispenses the fuel.

Good luck next time!

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Robert,

I live in France. The problem you had is nothing to do with you and the way you used your card. It is the French system. The French Chip&Pin system was installed by their banks some years ago. The British Chip&Pin is far more modern and not compatible with the French in many outlets. Slowly more and more French garages, supermarkets and other shops are upgrading their Chip&Pin terminals but the cost is quite expensive to the trader.

Most Service Areas on the French autoroutes have been upgraded and now accept British Chip&Pin cards.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Robert,

I live in France. The problem you had is nothing to do with you and the way you used your card. It is the French system. The French Chip&Pin system was installed by their banks some years ago. The British Chip&Pin is far more modern and not compatible with the French in many outlets. Slowly more and more French garages, supermarkets and other shops are upgrading their Chip&Pin terminals but the cost is quite expensive to the trader.

Most Service Areas on the French autoroutes have been upgraded and now accept British Chip&Pin cards.
Thanks Peter & David.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just returned from a month in France and found no problem with card use, in fact I find the 24hr pumps are generally more caravan friendly, and the supermarket price certainly is!!

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
We didn't have problems this time, either, with a newly issued Chip and Pin card - but we have had previously.
We had a strange experience, we tried to use our card for the second time and two of the three pumps refused point blank. As it was out of hours and quiet I went round to the pump that had worked previously, I retried and Bingo! worked first time. Very strange.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts