france for the first time

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
hi everyone - im looking to take my cvan to franc enext yr and i was looking on web for ferry crossings etc - but not sure where best to look for deals and ease of use in bookings - im looking for prob august next year - and really am flexible on dates -

but does anyone have any tips or good sites to visit - the best /cheapeast place to cross channel? and im looking to stay west coast area (we have 2 kids also)

any help would be appreciated im im getting frustrated with trying to get ferry prices online

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If you want the cheapest ferry crossings then the routes from Dover often the best bargains. The best place to look is either with one of the Clubs (Caravan Club or Camping and Caravanning Club) or direct with the ferry companies themselves. Don't bother with the companies offering 'Cheap Ferries' - they don't usually make offers for caravanners and often are very little different from the ferry companies themselves. Norfolk Lines offered the most competitive fares for this year (2010) and their 2011 prices don't look bad either. I've just been checking out likely crossings for next year, and can get car and caravan for £90.00. Norfolk Lines often have special offers around the time of the Caravan Show at the NEC and this can bring down prices.

As far as sites go, I can't help, as we don't 'do' the West Coast, but lots of British people seem to enjoy Les Pin Parasol - and go back year after year - so you'd be likely to meet other British families there. I'd recommend staying slightly inland - you'll find bigger pitches, and less busy roads - and be able to get away from the madding crowd at times, too!

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
If you are looking to go to the west coast you may not save money by travelling Dover to Calais / Dunkerque once you add fuel / time. I do not know whether Condor Ferries will be offering similar deals next year but they had a good price this and last year travelling Portsmouth to Cherbourg on Sundays for about £250.00. This offer was given by Camping Cheques - you may like to check their website for details of offers. A site which seems popular with young families in the west coast is Les Brunelles. Others worth a look at would be La Garangoire, a Castels site close to St Jean de Monts and La Yole.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carl,

Have you looked at using Tesco vouchers? If you collect these, they can be a really cost-effective way of getting across the channel. For example, we crossed on a Saturday in August this year, returning 2 weeks later FOR FREE!

Jo

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi I took my caravan to France for the first time this summer and was a bit nervous however it couldn't have been easier. We went to Normanday which was brilliant. The campsite we stayed on was Camping Le Cormoran which was right on the beach and close by to many attractions on site there was a bar/takaway/shop/bouncy castles and trampolines for the kids. Even although it was a large site it was always quiet and peaceful. We got the ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg which is only a 50min drive to the site which made it easy at the other side. We booked it all through the caravan club it was very easy and straightforward and only took a matter of minutes to get it all sorted out including breakdown cover and travel insurance. I would definetly recommend the caravan clubs booking service especially as it is your first time abroad with the van.
Hope this helps!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you use the western routes i.e. Brittany or LD you can get some idea of the cheaper crossings by going to brittany Ferry website and putting some possible dates into thier booking system. On the website the available crossings are shown on blue backgrounds with the cheaper crossings on a lighter blue. note which and then go to CC.

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
thanks for this advice - did you phone them to book on the 01342 number? or did you do online?
just that im finding it tricky on line at the moment

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Thelma65,
I took my van to France for the first time this year and it couldn't have been easier. I crossed with Norfolk Line who had a deal with the Caravan Club for the ridiculous cost of £37.00 each way for car,van and two passengers. The conditions were, over to France anytime of day on a Sunday and return any time of day on a Friday. In addition we also got an upgrade to the buisiness lounge on return and because it was full on the outward journey a full meal voucher. This was great as we had a nice 'full English on the way out for no extra charge.
Please ensure that you comply with the French regulations regarding 'Hi-vis' jackets, bulb kits, warning triangles and beam converters as lots of Brits have been fined this year for not carrying these. Also allow as much for road toll charges as for fuel. We went to Carcassonne in the South of France and it is a pleasure to tow over there! I would also advise that you use an internet map to plan your journey and travel for no more than 5 hours (including breaks) each day. Its a big country and distances are easily underestimated.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
For the best price book through the Caravan Club.Unbelievably,if you buy camping cheques at the same time the fare is lower.We always buy the cheques and throw them in the bin -all above board and saved us £100 this year.Ask about this at time of enquiry as they don't always mention them.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
RogerB said:
For the best price book through the Caravan Club.Unbelievably,if you buy camping cheques at the same time the fare is lower.We always buy the cheques and throw them in the bin -all above board and saved us £100 this year.Ask about this at time of enquiry as they don't always mention them.

Roger - please don't throw them in the bin! There is a market for them, both on ebay, and on forums like this one. I've bought many 'unwanted' Camping Cheques over several years - and there are others who are interested too! Post on this forum if you have any you don't want and I'm sure someone will snap them up. I know it says they're not transferable - but once they have been paid for them there doesn't seem to be any check on who actually uses them on campsites!

The on line system allows you to get quotes for all the ferry crossings, with or without Camping Cheques (use the book a site option, but select Camping Cheques only) - at the moment you need to input a date for 2010 as the departure date, but then you can go on to look at 2011 ferry prices. You can then check what the saving with the Camping Cheques is likely to be (around £8.00 only at the moment, with P and O, I checked yesterday)!

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris,

It couldn't be more simple and I think you will find lots of previous posts on this. All the instructions are in the clubcard booklet. Basically, you send off your vouchers to Tesco, who will send you travel vouchers in exchange (x4 the face value of the original vouchers). You then ring Eurotunnel and provisionally make the booking, confirming and paying by sending the vouchers. You then have a reference number which you use at check-in. I think you can use vouchers for part, or all, of the cost - whichever you prefer.

Look on-line and it is explained there.

One word of warning - some frieds of mine had their vouchers "lost" in the post. it pays to send them by recorded delivery.

Jo

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi, first time for me on this site.If you are considering west coast of France,Loire is the place.Dont waste time and money going for short crossing,Dover/calais.Its between four and five hundred miles,plus at least one overnight,maybe two.Go too Plymouth Brittany ferries,may be a bit more expensive but you will save loads on fuel and time.Roscoff to Loire three to four hrs.Go too Euro camp sites,Loire-Atlantique,name of site Chateau du Deffay on the D33 between Nantes/Vannes,Tel No +33(0)2-40880057.Great site changed a little since i went,lakes for fishing, good walks,heated pool `etc`not to far from sea.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi - we have taken the van over to France on the Plymouth to Roscoff ferry. It was a 6 hour journey but the crossing was brilliant. We went to Camp Du Letty in Benodet. The second time there we were pitched approx 3m. from the beach - woke up in the morning with beautiful sea view. The site is spotless and quite reasonable for site fees. First time over we made the booking through Select Sites as we were green to what was required. We travelled to Plymouth the day before in case of problems and stayed on the quay side. If you are not on the early ferry put a note in the window of the van otherwise you will be called at 5:30 am.

Benodet and surrounding countryside is beautiful. There was not a sign of any litter - no chewing gum, cigarette ends, etc. The services at Roscoff are also first class. Makes our country look dirty. We did over 1000 miles and only saw 3 police men on pushbikes. The road from Roscoff to Quimper was as if it had just been laid. Concarneau is also a very attractive Norman town. There was no problem driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Well worth the money - two years ago it cost us £800 all told for 3 adults and two children. This does not include spending money - we found that eating out was very expensive.

Where ever you should go I am sure you will enjoy the holiday and find it all worth while - we certainly did.

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
We have always taken shortest and cheapest Dover to Calais crossing , It would need overnight stop (somewhere like Niort) but the lakes at Mimizan/Biscarrosse are super for children, (just below Bordeaux),

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts