France from Cherbourg

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Michael, We've been doing Franch for over 20yrs, and always consider the River Loire as the area where the weather changes - usually for the better!!, BUT not always.

JimF

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Michael, Its hard to say as the weather can be good or bad. My brother in law was going to south of France but stopped overnight in the Loire, the weather was so good he stayed there for the fortnight.

Personally I try to get south of where the buildings start looking like Spain, with red roofs etc, and like the Landes area around Archachon / Biscarosse.

If you are on the midday ferry from Poole then there is a very good camping municipal at Falaise that you could reach by 8pm. It could be worth considering if you catch the midnight ferry as Falaise is a nice town to look around.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the strange weather patterns (global warming?) that we have been having you cannot guarantee anything. The west coast from the Vendee southwards can get quite hot. We have been to near Royan in the Gironde area several times and it is supposed to have as much sun as the Mediteranean but we have experienced mixed weather at times.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael,

We've always taken our vacation in mid June, at this time of the year you generally don't need to pre-book in France.

We look at the long range forecast; either the whole of France is hot and sunny or the weather splits on the Loire - if it's bad South of the Loire we head into Brittany, or vice versa.

A lot depends on how much heat you like, last June at Blois on the Loire it was 35

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi michael as you are going in low season theres no need to prebook, you could try camping cheques as for weather it depends how driving you are prepeared to do i am of the poion that the nearer you get to the med the more setteled the weather there are some super sites around Beziers and super beaches a 2 day drive 650 miles have a wonderfull time regards peter

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We started holidaying in Brittany many years ago and had some corking weather and some times of day after day of rain at times!

Charente Maritime region was mentioned to us and we headed out on long day trip to avoid rain. Royan area became family favourite for the kids and the weather and afore mentioned Biscarosse and Archachon.

A lot of naturist's head to Royan area, and they are looking for the Sun!

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael,

We went to Brittany last June (18th I think), the weather was really hot! But unfortunately you can't book the sunshine in advance.

Like you we went from Poole to Cherbourg and stayed in a Mobile Home (went on the bike, hence no 'van) at a lovely campsite called Bel-air in Landudec, about 5mins from the coast and not far from Quimper. (Approx. 3hrs drive from Cherbourg).

Nice friendly owner & staff, and the facilities were good for couples (like us) and families alike. Reception, Small Shop & Restaurant, Swimming/Paddling Pool. There's also a large children's play area and clubhouse, situated right at the bottom of the site well away from the touring pitches, which are at the top of the site.

You can check it out online www.belaircamping.com

Also went to the Vendee in Sept a few years ago... Much further to drive weather not much different as I recall!

Have a nice trip.

Vicky

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Michael, Its hard to say as the weather can be good or bad. My brother in law was going to south of France but stopped overnight in the Loire, the weather was so good he stayed there for the fortnight.

Personally I try to get south of where the buildings start looking like Spain, with red roofs etc, and like the Landes area around Archachon / Biscarosse.

If you are on the midday ferry from Poole then there is a very good camping municipal at Falaise that you could reach by 8pm. It could be worth considering if you catch the midnight ferry as Falaise is a nice town to look around.
I agree, the Falise site is beautiful, and the a a couple of very nice restaurants in walking distance, in the town square, we often stay there heading for Cherbourg, but it closes at 1900 hrs!, we just squeezed in 2 yrs ago!!

JimF

Dec 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

we holidayed in the Loire for the first time a couple of years back. We enjoyed the area so much that we actually bought a campsite here! This IS the part of France where the weather turns that bit warmer. In general, it's around 5 or 6 degrees warmer here than the south coast of the UK at most times of the year. We have vineyards, chateaus, museums, fantastic shopping, medeival towns, and last but not least, the magnificent Puy du Fou right here on our doorstep. The chateau town of saumur is 20 mins from us and we never get tired of seeing the castle perched high above the town, looking down on the Loire! Pure magic.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The region behind La Rochelle is said to have the best climate in France other than the Cotes d'Azure.

I was there in June last year and the weather was fantastic.

Its the 'Marais Poitevin' that you need to Google.

Excellent site at Coulon - Camping la Venise Verte.

See you there at the end of May!

TRENDING THREADS