France or Germany

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Having toured France for many years, summer and winter, 6 weekat a time, it was nice, BUT.
We have friends in Switzerland that we have visited many times, but very expensive.
Our niece worked in Dusseldorf for a few years and we visited her from France. That was nice.

When in a few years time, and we can travel again.
I really think I would like to go to Germany, as their life style is more to my liking , bars Eating and drinking, rather than The Frenchlife style.
Between my wife and myself we can make do with everyday "slow" speaking in both French and German.
Whats your thoughts please.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Having toured France for many years, summer and winter, 6 weekat a time, it was nice, BUT.
We have friends in Switzerland that we have visited many times, but very expensive.
Our niece worked in Dusseldorf for a few years and we visited her from France. That was nice.

I really think I would like to go to Germany, as their life style is more to my liking , bars Eating and drinking, rather than The Frenchlife style.
Between my wife and myself we can make do with everyday "slow" speaking in both French and German.

Hutch
Both are very nice in their own way so difficult to compare. If you have never visited Germany look at the national tourist board and sign up for the regular news and ideas bulletins.
We drove through Germany to Prague on to Krakow and back via Dresden and the Harz. Every bit as good as France but so different.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I spent a week in Germany every year for 10 consecutive years, this was going back probably 25 years ago when we went last, it was myself and a mate for first 6 years and 2 more friends joined us for the following 4, absolutely fabulous times, nothing booked in advance, jump in the car and off we went, a night in Belgium on the way there, 7 nights in Munich and a night in Belgium on the way home, not a single booking pre arranged but the best years of my life, I love Germany, the Germans are very different when in their own country to the Germans when in Spain etc where they become so loud mouthed and rude, I’m hoping to do it one last time, this year would have been perfect but 2022 is probably a maybe but 23 should be a goer, anyone that’s never spent a week at the October Fest should put it on there bucket list.

BP

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Both visited a few times, and worked extensively in Germany. We also did a very similar trip to OC in the 90’s. We took the van and stayed at the Royal Prague Yacht Club. Not anywhere near as nice as it sounds. But very handy for the City.

No comparison to France in my opinion. Not at all laid back. So I think it’s best not to try and to enjoy the culture, sites and people for what they are.

Only had two day visits to Switzerland when staying in the French Jura. Would very much like to do more.

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I would suggest making a decision of either north or south.
If you prefer north then save distance and cut through the Netherlands up towards Hannover, then take the autobahn past Magdeburg and on to Berlin which is an amazing place. From there drive down to the Elbe and Leipzig then Dresden. From Dresden you can go to Koln on your way back or via Frankfurt.
If you prefer south then then go through Belgium to Luxembourg, cross to Trier and drive up the Moselle at least to Bernkastel. From there go over the Hunsruck to the Rhine at Mainz, by-pass Frankfurt and head to Wurzburg and into Bavaria and Munich. Head back via Stuttgart and Karlsruhe to Strasbourg (the municipal site at Obernai is very good) and then either through France up to Lille, or Saarbrucken to Luxembourg and back that way.
Alternatively at Berkastel continue up the Mosellle to German Corner at Koblenz, then go down the Rhine on the left or right bank to Bingen. There turn west and head back or possibly into Alsace.
I will guarantee you will enjoy whichever you do but do be aware that many German sites do not speak English (even the bigger ones) and they will charge for electricity used - expensively.
We have friends in Darmstadt (about 20m S of Frankfurt) so know that area well, but if you want the WOW!! factor then do Berlin/Leipzig/Dresden (particularly Dresden.)

Reactions: Johnb and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you prefer north then save distance and cut through the Netherlands up towards Hannover, then take the autobahn past Magdeburg and on to Berlin which is an amazing place. From there drive down to the Elbe and Leipzig then Dresden. From Dresden you can go to Koln on your way back or via Frankfurt.
If you prefer south then then go through Belgium to Luxembourg, cross to Trier and drive up the Moselle at least to Bernkastel. From there go over the Hunsruck to the Rhine at Mainz, by-pass Frankfurt and head to Wurzburg and into Bavaria and Munich. Head back via Stuttgart and Karlsruhe to Strasbourg (the municipal site at Obernai is very good) and then either through France up to Lille, or Saarbrucken to Luxembourg and back that way.
Alternatively at Berkastel continue up the Mosellle to German Corner at Koblenz, then go down the Rhine on the left or right bank to Bingen. There turn west and head back or possibly into Alsace.
I will guarantee you will enjoy whichever you do but do be aware that many German sites do not speak English (even the bigger ones) and they will charge for electricity used - expensively.
We have friends in Darmstadt (about 20m S of Frankfurt) so know that area well, but if you want the WOW!! factor then do Berlin/Leipzig/Dresden (particularly Dresden.)
So that a plus for Germany then. 😀

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Hi Hutch We was invited over by my wife Cousin we flew from Stansted Airport to Paderborn we saw the Mohne Dam , it has a slow way of life i love our long weekend (Germany gets my vote)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

On the topic of speaking English on our trip to Krakow we went solo just stopping at hotels/BB end route to our pre booked hotels. In Wurzburg it was getting late so we went into a nice country hotel to see if they had a room. I speak no German but my wife had her GCE O level but hadn’t used it since the mid 1960s when we drove to Switzerland. Anyway she spoke to the receptionist and after a discussion we had a room reserved for one night. i asked her was there a problem but she said no it was just that they thought we were part of a large wedding party. We got into a conversation with a young couple behind us when my wife apologised to them for the hold up. They complimented her on her German and couldn’t believe that she hadn’t spoken it since the mid 1960s

in June 2018 we were booked to visit the area bounded by Luxembourg,Germany and France which is particularly picturesque and an easy drive from the Channel ports. Unfortunately my father took ill and the trip had to be cancelled but the itinerary is still “ on file”. I WILL see Trier one day 👍

Here’s the link to the national tourist board they are very helpful in planning as are the local tourist boards too. Get planning now eh?

https://www.germany.travel/en/home.html

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have visited both and were equally happy although they are very different. The advantage of France is that is across the channel and easier to reach. Basically it is more a question of what you want to see as to the choice and if Germany suits you best go for it.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
My wife speak German and I French.

The reason I say that is because we both not only enjoy the culture of both countries (and for that matter ANY country) but, when possible, love to chat with fellow campers. If you don't have a second language then in our experience the chances of meeting English speaking fellow campers is probably greatest amongst the Dutch but, particularly the younger generation of Germans often speak good English too. More likely than the French I think.

I suspect more people have travelled to France with their caravan than Germany. Mainly because Germany is further away. My advice is don't let the distance put you off - plan an extra stop en route.

As with many counties what you experience will depend upon where you are! France has great diversity but so too Germany.

Others have specifically mentioned places to visit and few would argue about any mentioned - the list though, could go on for ever.

Just one last point please. Do not be fooled into thinking the character of a nation can be simply described in a few words (even though the towels on sunbed phenomenon is not unknown). Just like the UK and dare I say this forum, there are "all sorts" to be found - some some welcome and maybe some not so welcome.

One particular memory is being "picked in " by a group of young Germans to be part of a drinking game team! Corpus Christie holidays and a crowded site but so many "family" gatherings. I won't describe the game but next day was not pleasant for the first few hours.

Our travels over many years have cemented our view that yes, there are cultural differences between nations, but my wife and I love the diversity and are proud to count ourselves as part of a European Community.

I've added a picture of one youth spending the night in the trailer where the beer was carried! I made it back to the caravan and declined the invitation the following night! 2018-05-30 22.32.46.jpg

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts