Free Wi Fi Access and the Caravan Club

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Weve just returned from a caravan site in the Isle of Wight which had free internet access,although we were asked to put a small donation in a charity box at the time.I dont see why the caravan club cant do this for their membership,instead of charging the ridiculous fees.

It would give the members something,and at the same time raise money for some worthwhile charity eg help for heroes or similar.

Obviously it would cost the caravan club,but I think they have enough money in the bank to stand this.

Cheers Richard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Richard

I am not sure I agree with you and several reasons. Firstly the CC contract out the provision of WiFi and that company will want a return on the investment. If it was free it would cost the Club and personally I feel I would rather have site fees reduced. Secondly many members now use mobile broadband and so are unlikely to need the WiFi access and that coupled with those members that don't even want to use a computer on site hardly makes a strong case for free WiFi. Afterall we don't need Club sites to be fuller than they are already! Thirdly the CC have just annouced much reduced rates for their WiFi on second generation WiFi campsites which equate to about

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Why should club members be expected to foot your wifi bill?

I am a CC member, and also use the internet, and i pay for both, its not a charity, but it is a CARAVAN club.

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Why should club members be expected to foot your wifi bill?

I am a CC member, and also use the internet, and i pay for both, its not a charity, but it is a CARAVAN club.
I dont want the caravan club to pay my bill,I want it to provide free wifi access for ALL the members.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
It seems to me that the CC has more money than sense and did not do enough research to justify installing wi-fi at various sites. surely the advent of dongle shoudl have startged alarm bells ringing. I pay

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
But surely Ian it makes no difference to you what the CC do with WiFi as you are happy to use you Mobile Broadband dongle? There is a lot on nonsense talked about how the CC organise their WiFi offer. They sensibaly decided to go into partnership with a professional supplier of WiFi. This resulted in commercial rates being charged. Even the CC have said that they would like to reduce these prices. The CC are now starting to install a second generation WiFi system which results in the prices falling to

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Basically as I said, they shoudl have doen more research first before wasting our money that coudl have been better spent elsewhere. Lack of foresight comes to mind. Even at a

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am at Scone Camping Club site at the moment. I could pick up the Site WiFi if wanted but have picked up a BT Openzone access possibly from the adjacent Perth Race Course so I am using some of my free 400 minute mothly allocation from BT Internet. I have also purchased a BT Dongle which appears to piggy back on Vodafone The

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
I also agree that the C & C charges are far too expensive. for some unknown reason David seems to support the C & C charges on this and other forums. When so many other sites can offer a free facility so should the club...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nick

At the risk of becoming boring I just feel I am being realistic. One almost gets the impression from some posters that if the CC (C&C?) provided free WiFi that it would be a no cost option to the Club. If that was possible I would like someone to explain how. Many of us use Mobile Broadband, including myself. I went down that route a couple of years ago because some CC sites don't have WiFi. Equally there will be those that don't require any form of internet connection so why should the Club provide a service that costs them money for what is likely to be the minority of members. As there is a cost to the Club of making such a provision it stands to reason that if it were offered as a free service those costs would have to be reflected elesewhere. That would either be in the site fees or the general running of Club sites which inturn would mean less money to invest in new sites. If every member that arrived at Club site wanted to use WiFi that might be a different matter as inclusion of the costs into the site fees would apply to everyone. I stand accused of supporting the club pricing structure but I do so because I believe it is the common sense thing to do.

David

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure that the consumer will dictate the policy in the end. A lot of pubs and coffee shops are giving free access and I think that will be the pattern in future. I don't mind having a pint while checking my email....

CC will eventually find that they have an expensive white elephant on their hands.

Not sure what's happening abroad generally but I have managed to find unsecured networks and have "accidently" connected to it.

Never paid so far but I do have GPRS if all else fail.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Surely you would have to multiply that by the number of pitches to get better comparision.0

No, the monthly fee in the UK is generally based upon the available speed & to a lesser degree the data transfer. The speed charge will remain the same but agree that there might be in increase in the amount paid by the site dependent upon the data transfer but it will not be a straight multiplier of pitches x monthly fee for on user.

I expect I am unlikely to to convince you but a while ago the owner of a well know park posted some interesting facts about the cost of providing WiFi on his campsite and they ampounted to about

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Nick

At the risk of becoming boring I just feel I am being realistic. One almost gets the impression from some posters that if the CC (C&C?) provided free WiFi that it would be a no cost option to the Club. If that was possible I would like someone to explain how. Many of us use Mobile Broadband, including myself. I went down that route a couple of years ago because some CC sites don't have WiFi. Equally there will be those that don't require any form of internet connection so why should the Club provide a service that costs them money for what is likely to be the minority of members. As there is a cost to the Club of making such a provision it stands to reason that if it were offered as a free service those costs would have to be reflected elesewhere. That would either be in the site fees or the general running of Club sites which inturn would mean less money to invest in new sites. If every member that arrived at Club site wanted to use WiFi that might be a different matter as inclusion of the costs into the site fees would apply to everyone. I stand accused of supporting the club pricing structure but I do so because I believe it is the common sense thing to do.

David
All the time the club can fill the sites I guess there is no need to provide anything.

We provide a free wireless network in our gite because it gives us a marketing advantage over gites that don't & clients now expect it.

Certainly I wouldn't book a site or hotel that didn't offer a free wireless connection.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts