Freelander Auto/Manual

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
HI bill i tow a lunar freelander 524 MTPLM 1235kg with my td4 i dont even know its behind me the new caravan arrives in july magmum 534 MTPLM 1425kg works out at 88.02% of cars kerb weight should be perfectically ok you should be ok as well bill best of luck dunk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I havn't towed with an auto TD4 but I have driven one. It is a superb box.

I tow with an auto Range Rover and would not want to go back to a manual.

The only thing you need to watch with an auto is it overheating. Rare these days but can still be a problem. I change the auto box oil regularly as a precaution.

May 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi I tow a 1700kg van with a range rover auto. I find it superb, but when on local roads or in slow moving traffic I drop it into 3rd or 2nd to prevent the auto box from hunting a higher gear. This helps prevent from over heating. Once you've had an auto you wouldn't want to go back to a manual.

I own a 2003 td4 manual. Had clutch replaced after 12000 miles under warranty. New cluch exactly the same

Fine going forward but clutch smells and burn on the slightest reverse with van. Very unhappy with car and will be changing to auto Thought a landrover coild go back as well as forward whilst towing

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is not the first time TD4 clutches have come in for some flack.

I have posted a query on a LR forum and will report back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just checked the LR forum - as yet only a few "looks" no responces.

We go on holiday for a week soon so will not be able to check - pick up when I get back.

Jul 6, 2001
Visit site
Hi Bill

I bought a new Freelander TD4 auto at the end of May and have since done 4,500 miles with about a third to half of those towing a fully laden Stirling Eccles Jewel MTPLM 1485 Kg. First trip was from Somerset to North Yorkshire up the M5 and across the Pennines so quite a test for a one week old vehicle. I was able to cruise comfortably at the motorway legal maximum (not admitting to exceeding it) with power to spare for overtaking. The auto box held top gear most of the time only changing down on very long inclines. I use cruise control quite a lot and found that this was great for overtaking. As I would probably have had to disengage cruise coming up behind lorries, by switching it back in, the box would drop down the requisite number of gears and accelerate smoothly up to my selected speed.

The whole outfit is very stable, Alko stabiliser fitted, and a joy to drive. MPG about 35 solo, 25 towing, so no complaints there. I have a couple of niggles with rear seat belts and the boot is a bit small, but otherwise a great car. Good luck with your new car.

Cheers

John

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I have a 2002 Td4 Auto which I use to pull a Dethleffs 550L and all up at 1400kgs, I personally find that it tows it very well but you can tell that you are towing. I also tend to drive in the manual mode, the freelander auto box is a superb 5 speed which if driven correctly will tow with ease. My only complaint is around town (off motorways) when it tends to get a bit hot but otherwise great.

Good luck with your new van and Freelander.

Tom

Hi I tow ith a TD4 2001 with 40000 miles (not had a new clutch yet)as some of you guys say its freat going forward but try and go back and it starts to smell.

The reason I have not had a new clutch is I have a caravan mover to postion my Arizona

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts