freelander clutch

I have 2003 diesel freelander with 12000 miles. I tow a17' van which is well within its limits When reversing with van the clutch burns no matter how well I operate the clutch Have already had a clutch replaced under warranty but the problem persists. I dread to think how it would perform if on rough terrain were the clutch would have to be slipped

I have driven for 40 years and never had a problem in all that time

Has anyone had a simular experience

many thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not long ago I done the same thread on here regarding the clutch with my X-Trail, done exactly the same as you describe but seemed to be ok on level ground, as for reversing with my caravan on uneven surface the smell is sometimes unbearable. Was advised by Nissan to get a caravan mover as this is unwanted strain on the clutch and could result in very expensive damage. Several X-Trail owners have commented on the same problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Again not with a Freelander, though we do have one. My tow vehicle is an old Range Rover which I converted to an automatic as I now tow far more than I used to and an auto makes life so much easier.

What interested me was that you have a manual box on a 2003 Freelander? I thought the TD4's all came with the superb 6 speed steptronic autobox.

As regards clutch smell a once produced so much smoke and smell whilst reversing into where I was told to go (on a steep slope) on a Cross Channel ferry that it triggered the ferries smoke alarm! The car was a Citroen BX estate and the same thing happened on another car - a Cavalier - a years or so later when just reversing into a parking slot on a hill.

Previous, older cars had never done this, so maybe it is something to do with modern materials.

Again not with a Freelander, though we do have one. My tow vehicle is an old Range Rover which I converted to an automatic as I now tow far more than I used to and an auto makes life so much easier.

What interested me was that you have a manual box on a 2003 Freelander? I thought the TD4's all came with the superb 6 speed steptronic autobox.

As regards clutch smell a once produced so much smoke and smell whilst reversing into where I was told to go (on a steep slope) on a Cross Channel ferry that it triggered the ferries smoke alarm! The car was a Citroen BX estate and the same thing happened on another car - a Cavalier - a years or so later when just reversing into a parking slot on a hill.

Previous, older cars had never done this, so maybe it is something to do with modern materials.
most newish freelanders are manual, Auto much more expensive and I didnt think I would have a problem with a landrover

At least thats whats the salesman said!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, In April I replaced my Freelander which I used as a company vehicle it was a three year old TD4 which I covered over 100,000 miles in. At least 10,000 of these miles were towing a 1500kg van. I had no problems at all with the clutch during the time I had the vehicle, and this included me having to reverse the van uphill into storage. There seems to be lots of issues around this with many vehicles these days the only comment I would make is that you must use the least revs possible while reversing to minimise the strain on the vehicles clutch. Richard S

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Chris you are right! - On checking it is the V6 Freelander that comes with the steptronic autobox as standard.

My appologies!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Richard, I have been told this before about using low revs on reversing and I tried this on numerous occasions but if I dont use enough revs going up an incline with my caravan my car stalls, its ok on level ground no problem at all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to be a Land Rover anorak but when towing (admitidly horse trailers with two s*ding great horses in it) I have lost count of the time that normal reverse gear is not low enough to allow that slow creep into where you want to go.

A good 4x4 normally has a low range that gives a lower reverse gear. Makes life so easy.

Even though we have a Freelander - I havn't bothered to even put a tow bar on it as the old Range Rover (19 years it senior) out performs the Freelander 100% in this area.

Where the Freelander scores is as a long distance mile-eater - good economy and air conditioning - Bliss over the last few weeks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris you are right! - On checking it is the V6 Freelander that comes with the steptronic autobox as standard.

My appologies!
The Freelander auto is a 5 speed, it is the ZF gearbox in disco3 and RRS that is 6 speed

Not long ago I done the same thread on here regarding the clutch with my X-Trail, done exactly the same as you describe but seemed to be ok on level ground, as for reversing with my caravan on uneven surface the smell is sometimes unbearable. Was advised by Nissan to get a caravan mover as this is unwanted strain on the clutch and could result in very expensive damage. Several X-Trail owners have commented on the same problem.
am not sure what to do. Thought I was buying a good tow car. Thought about changing to a xtrail but they don't seem any better. Is the answer to change to a automatic?

All I want is a car that tows backwards as well as forwards!

chris

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
HI chris have just had a new clutch fitted on a 55000 miles TD4 the machanic had never seen one so bad on the millage just had bill thats BMW for you 12 hours labour alone total bill =

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts