freelander or sorento ??

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
hi.. we are in the process of getting a new tow car but need advice on which one..we currantly drive a 2.0 d freelander ( v reg) and tow an abbey aventura 330.( which we think is just over the 85% rule) we drove a sorento and liked it.. plenty of space,more power and a great price too..we also like our freelander, especially the interior which is better than the kia..( or so her that must be obeyed says) the kia also as the added bonus of being 2 wheel drive and not permanent like our freelander.. as anyone out there in caravan land ever owned both, and if so which do they prefer.. both cars have pro's and cons .. why as buying a new car become so damn hard..lol.. any points of view would be gratefully accepted .. daz ..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Freelander is a great car and the Sorrento won CC towcar of the year - so what a choice?

The Caravan Club Tow Car of the year award was covered in the October 2005 issue of the CC magazine.

The only point I would make is that as we have a Freelander and a Discovery and regularly drive all sorts of vehicles, is that I have never found the dash on the Freelander as "solid" as say an Audi or a BMW, or indeed its bigger brother the Discovery. But its is certainly better than say a Citroen or Peugeot.

However the Freelander carpets, seats and doorcard trim is exceptionally hard wearing. Ours takes all sorts of abuse and comes up a treat with a little effort.

My sons Peugeot is like a Citroen we had in the past - flimsy plastic that seems to be stuck together with chewing gum.

In my view nothing spoils a drive more than rattles an creaks and trim that is easily damaged.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
No other reason than to reduce the ration I would say Kia. If you ever get a bigger van then the weight ration will be OK.

Work out the fuel consumption before you make a choice

Steve

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I don't want to start another LandRover war Clive. But with all the miles I do, ( a great deal ) Freelander is a top one on a list of very often seen breakdowns that I keep in my head. I see far far to many, another reason why I'm still trying to decide on a new Disco or not.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are probably right LB - but we all like to live a little dangerously from time to time - I was wondering when a "Forum PC Policeman" would pop up and berate us for such a heinous rule breach.

Bit surprised it was you tho'?

Hi cris - I have never said Land Rovers do not break down - but I have said if you want virtually total reliability then buy a Toyota. Certainly my brothers choice was a Land Cruiser when he was in Kenya.

I do think the Freelander gets a bad press compared to say ISUZU - which has had a horrendous problem with the 3.0L diesel engine self destructing - I read of other peoples problems via Which? magazine and whilst LR is certainly not in Toyota territory (yet! - Ford has made a commitment on this!) I can only say that we have had no problems. And we use our vehicles fairly hard.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Well I am a stickler for tidiness Clive ;O) and I see theres a similar thread on the same topic in Towcars at present

Towcars

Recommendations for the best towcars

freelander

CliveV

Mon, 6 Feb 2006 01:43 PM 8

...... hence it would be much simpler to post under that thread than keep switching :OP

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Aquaintance moved to Oz with his new wife and made enquiries re shipping her Treelamder and his Disco there before they went.

The consensus they got was yes if they wanted to pose in the city and suberbs, if they wanted to explore there new homeland and stay alive forget the Landrovers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Sorento and can recommend it unreservedly. However, is there not a new Freelander ready to be launched? It still wont be able to compete on VFM terms but it might be worth checking out.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Certainly I have been impressed with the looks of the Sorento - what a great looking beast!

The interior looks good as well as spacious.

The 5 year warranty has got to be a huge selling point. The sooner the others catch up the better.

Whilst I am a "LR nut" I do not think any of us are blind to the problems the marque has had in the past. It is when you realise the effort that LR had to go through to develop and launch the Discovery on a miniscule budget that you realise the real "soul" of the LR marque.

I do not doubt that other vehicles were, in the past, put together better but I have yet to drive one that just has that certain something that puts that smile upon your face everytime you get in it.

And that V8 engine - just awesome!!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Look at the sevicing costs after purchase and also cost of spares. Yesterdau I was looking at a 2006 3.0L 4 x 4 Toyota Hi Lux with double car. Made me drool amnd would have signed on the dotted line if the missus had not been there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ive had a Sorento for 2 years now my total mileage is 16,500 miles of which 5000 miles is towing a twin axle.Average fuel consumption for the whole period 23 mpg.That said its a brilliant tow car.

Regards Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Drive them both and see what you think. There are good deals on Freelanders, I bought my wife an O5 9 month old TD4 SE auto with 9K on the clock for

Sep 7, 2005
Visit site
I have had a Sorrento for three years and pull a twin axle with it. It is a fantastic horse and never struggles. It has a very large interior and the spare wheel is situated below the car, giving good access to the rear. You won't regret it if you buy one of these.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts