Freelander power chip

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I have a Freelander Td4 for my towcar but I just need a bit more mid-range power ( I tow a dethleffs which weighs in at 1400kg) and was wondering if any of you guys out there had had your freelander re-mapped or re-chipped (not the plug in box) The price I have been quoted is around the £400 mark and is said to add about 30% bhp which I assume will take it to around the 125 bhp mark. Question is ...anyone out there had this done and your comments would be appreciated, My Freelander is the commercial not that it makes any difference, it is 3 years old with a full LR service history now at 60,000 miles.

Cheers guys

Tom

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tom - so it is out of LR warrenty therefore no danger of anything being lost there.

I know RPi engineering advertise such a service and have heard good things but if you want to hear what other owners think try the forum on www.landroverenthusiast.com

I am sure somebody there will have done it.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I have a friend witha TD4 and he used a Van Aaken system and says that it is very good and a big improvement on driveabilty and towing power.

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I have a Discovery TD5 which I have added a Van-Aaken chip and wow what a difference, I can now engage cruise and maintain a confortable speed around 55mph on any strech of motorway and thats towing a T/A heavy Elddis Super Sirocco. It cost just over

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your replies...I have,with your recommendations today ordered the Van-Aaken box as opposed to the chip. The guy I spoke to in sales (Chris) was very helpful and most knowlegeable. So hopefully there should be some difference so I will keep you posted.

Tom

Aug 11, 2005
Visit site
Tom, keep us posted on how you get on, I also have a Td4 and whilst it tows really well a little extra mid range grunt would be useful, I've looked at a couple of different options but cant decide the best way to go.

One other aspect I would be interested in is how it effects your insurance premium (I assume you've informed them?) I've heard varying stories with some people saying there is no price increase if you register the modification with them, I suppose it depends on your insurer.

Stuart

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stuart

The Smartbox arrived today and took less than 10 minutes to fit and I have to say that the difference is astounding!

My Td4 is an automatic so I have to wait for the torque converter to catch up with the revs before anything happens but it does it quicker, however I will say that when towing I use the "manual" mode, with the Smartbox fitted driving in the manual mode is phenomenal, the big difference is mid-range so up to now it is well worth the money, as for the insurance it doesn't affect it because it is a plug in device and not an upgrade (according to them)

So here's looking forward to tugging.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts