Freelander TD4 as a tow car for a 2000 Abbey Spectrum 540

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Joy

One further bit to add to David's excellent advice - If you come across an Isuzu Trooper 3.0 diesel suggest you leave alone.

The older 2.8 litre is a stunning engine (Australian Army stipulates these engines in its Land Rovers!) as is the 3.1 litre. But the 3.0 litre has a habit of going bang and is not easily repairable.

For more info "Google" and check out the Owners Club - Very active for most 4x4's including the Isuzu, Mitsubishi and of course Land Rover.

A lot of good info and advice available.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Yes clive is right - don't be tempted by bargain priced post 98 3.0 Troopers, they are cheap for a reason! Also don't listen to salesmen who tell you all the mods have been done to the engine because GM havn't got it right yet and mods are still in the pipeline to stop the injectors leaking diesel into the oil sump!

I would avoid 2.5 Paj/shoguns too as they might struggle sometimes with your van and have two timing belts to replace at belt change. (the 2.8 is a chaincam)

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
Having just had the Freelander for a week's test drive (current car is a Galaxy), I wasn't too impressed. It drank diesel and was sluggish in low gears. There was also next to no boot space. I'm just off to order my new (new) Galaxy!

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Joy

A while back just one person was on here making out he was several diferent people! - All these multiple personalities he made up were "Anti 4x4" and were really quite abusive to those who do not mind who tows with what!

The silly thing is that ALL cars pollute and all cars can be dangerous in the hands of an idiot.

How on earth any sensible person can say that a vehicle like the Kia Sorento (CC Tow car of the year) with an extra propshaft, is somehow intrinsically worse than the Kia Sedonna that is about the same size, (same engines etc but is an MPV rather than a 4x4) is beyond me!

Thankfully sanity prevailed and the idiot (he is a Schoolboy) was booted of the Forum but because the Forum is a bit "creaky" - he can pop up from time to time under a new name - as you saw the other night.
Thanks for the info Clive I was a bit worried about continuing to use the forum but we are finding it really useful to get comment from people who actually use the cars as opposed to dealers who are trying to sell us something.

Best wishes

Joy

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
Hello CliveV and DavidW

Your information and advice have been really helpful. We have to have an auto anyway and we are now looking at LWB Shoguns (Avoiding 3.0litre) Troopers and Discoverys with a leaning towards a decent 98-01 Discovery (Discovery 2 I think?).

Many thanks to everyone who is contributing to the thread. It is very helpful to hear from people who are actually out there towing rather than dealers who are trying to sell us something and hopefully we can now get it right first time.

Will let you know what we get.

Mnay thanks

Joy and Rod

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Joy

Best of luck finding a tow vehicle. I use a Discovery 2 facelift model to tow our van and love it to bits! One of the reasons I picked it was because the parts are easily available and cheap.

Either way, whichever you choose, they will tow your van with ease. Use Clive's advice and spend some time on the owners club websites. Or an alternative is a site like the mudclub (google) which has members who use almost every type of 4x4.

Steve

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
Hello again all

Just to let you know that we have at last bought our tow car and finally settled on British-a Landrover Discovery TD5 GS low mileage vehicle 1999 on a V. We pick it up next Monday and hope that it will be a good choice.

Many thanks for everyones good advice and comments.

Best wishes

Rod and Joy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts