It drives like a car.

Is no larger than a family saloon.

Has an enormous 140kg noseweight limit.

Gives good mpg.

Holds its price.

And it isn't Japanese.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also tow with a Freelander TD4 and totally agree with MikeG. The noseweight limit and MPG are superb.

I have owned mine from new and never had any problems. The electric rear window is really handy when hitching up.

The only issue I have had is the AL-KO 2004 stabiliser handle hitting the spare wheel. It's easily solved by either hitching up at an angle or by fitting a spacer on the towball. AL-KO are about to release a replacement 4x4 handle which will address the problem. I think the prototype will be on display at the NEC.

If you need to fit the additional "S socket" yourself I can highly recommend the Land Rover kit. It's a little more expensive than some others but it's the most complete I've seen and comes with all the necessary plugs to connect directly to the existing wiring loom.

Feb 21, 2005
Visit site
I also tow with a TD4 and would not change it for all the tea in China. It can tow up to 1800kgs which is quite adequate for the majority of caravans. It is a damn good workhorse.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry i can't agree with any of the replies so far.THE TD 4 IS A BAG OF POO!

How do I know well when I bought bought my SUV I road tested the TD4 and the X-trail over 2 weekends they do not compare the X-trail is far superior.

Facts

Which SUV has been voted best in its class for the past 3 years - The X-Trail.

Reliability - Look at the reports on www.honestjohn.co.uk

Depreciation in the Sunday Times motoring supplement 2 wks ago the X-Trail was recommended above the TD4.

Last summer I met a former Land Rover employee who as part of his retirement package was able to buy a TD4 at a considerable had so many problems sold it after 6 months guess what he bought.

The X-Trail is Japanese so what don't they build cars in the North East of England.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with MikeG, we only have one car and as my wife uses it at work for visiting patients we need something that provides the best of both world. The Freelander does this, it works well day to day as a car, and as we live in a fairly rural area, helps her visit patients on farms or just off the beaten track and when we hitch the caravan up, it does that job just as well. Remember, you only tow for a small purcentage of the time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tow with an old 1984 Range Rover converted to LPG and apart from regular maintainance it has proved reliable. So to has our 1.8GS Freelander, though I would never consider towing with it. Does a Land Rover really have so many more faults than other cars? I have had new company cars for many years up until recently and all had their problems. The brand new freelander we bought in 2001 has performed faultlessly apart from a rattle in the dash that was easily fixed during a service.

We had a TD4 on loan whilst ours was being serviced and it totally changed my mind from being anti-diesel to very impressed.

Good to hear that TD4 owners rate them so highly. If ever I have to get rid of the Range Rover a TD4 Freelander sounds like an excellent choice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to say I had a 2001 Freelander LWB TD4 from new for 3 years, towed extensively with it (much of the time with a large twin-axle van), and it was EXCELLENT. Sold it with 70,000 miles on the clock, and in that time nothing EVER went wrong/fell off etc. It is a commendable tower, excellent engine, good 4x4 ability, good noseweight, good driving characteristics, excellent fuel economy...get my drift??!! Have now changed to a new Shogun LWB as we changed the 'van for a heavier model, Shogun is brill, but miss the fuel economy and driving manners of the Freelander. I know there's good and bad out there, but we certainly had a good experience with our home-grown product! Enjoy.. Richard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bluebird - sounds like an old Datsun to me.

The question was asked of those who actually use a TD4 - not those affected by hype, or employed in the North East.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not affected by hype or employed in the north east.My observations are based on road testing both vehicles for two days comments made by other Td4 owners I have met, and respected journalists. On reliabilty and depreciation there is no comparison.This Bluebird an old Datsun ? No just the nickname of the football team I support.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have driven Landies all my working life, and most of them are still on the road!

The TD4 is a Land Rover, and doesn't pretend to be anything else. It isn't flash (although I consider the latest "makeover" as pandering to fashion), it isn't tacky. It is practical, reliable (the TD4 engine is so much better than the Rover unit), has an amazing towing ability - and despite its monocoque construction, has genuine off road ability.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob and Richard appear to be duped by the stability and high noseweight capability of the freelander that into thinking it's great for towing heavy caravans i.e. significantly higher weight than its own kerb weight. I can only imagine that towing a 1750kg van with a freelander is an accident waiting to happen. If you take the view that the 85-90% rule is sacrosanct (which I do after feeling effects first hand of swapping to a bigger caravan, then having to upgrade towcar to match after "tail wagging dog effect" - then for the same money there are much better vehicles which have better fuel economy, less tyre wear, higher residual values.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nice to see Bluebird making some sensible comments.

I know "Poo" is only a bit lavatorial and playgroundish but I would suggest that we should all be mature enough to respect other peoples viewpoints.

I have yet to see a really bad report on the Freelander (at least anything that would justify it being called "Poo") and as for residuals it was only a year or so ago that the Freelander was rated the highest %'age value at three years old.

So sorry Bluebird! - "Methinks you protest to much"

Residuals will go down due to the stagering success of the Freelander being the most popular 4x4 in Europe for the last few years. A damn good thing if you want to buy one!

I have friends who weep at the cost of certain Japanese and German parts and end up getting rid of the thing because it is uneconomic. But I do appreciate that Japanese and Teutonic engineering is good and these vehicles are reliable. I know the Freelander is a bit different to most Land Rovers, though similar in construction to the new Range Rover but it is a fact that the majority of Land Rovers are still on the road. No other manufacturer can come near this achievement.

I have driven Isuzus, Toyota Land Cruisers and my favourite of the japanese, the Nissan Patrol - a truly awsome beast.

All are excellent at what they do and one will suit more than another.

Lets continue to have a little more experience and a little less emotion. That way this Forum will be of value to us all.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
We are looking to get into Caravanning later in the year and are choosing a puller now. We were looking at a 2.0 Ford Mondeo... but are tempted with the large selection of 2nd Hand 1.8 petrol Freelanders on the market at the moment. Any comments would be gratefully recieved.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are looking to get into Caravanning later in the year and are choosing a puller now. We were looking at a 2.0 Ford Mondeo... but are tempted with the large selection of 2nd Hand 1.8 petrol Freelanders on the market at the moment. Any comments would be gratefully recieved.
I would not recommend towing with a 1.8 petrol Freelander. It simply does not have the torque to safely tow a caravan.

My brother has a 1.8 petrol and struggles up some hills without a caravan on the back!

If you want a Freelander then it would be best to get a TD4. A diesel Mondeo would be better than a 1.8 Freelander.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
yes i have a freelander td4 and tow a lunar freelander 524 with it. The landrover is an excellent tow vehicle. I know you have heard it all before but most of the time i do forget the caravan is on the back, with the Alko 2004 stabiliser i get no swaying what so ever.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would not recommend towing with a 1.8 petrol Freelander. It simply does not have the torque to safely tow a caravan.

My brother has a 1.8 petrol and struggles up some hills without a caravan on the back!

If you want a Freelander then it would be best to get a TD4. A diesel Mondeo would be better than a 1.8 Freelander.
Some people don't half talk rubbish, I own a 1.8 Freelander, I live at the top of a steep hill, still manage to tow my caravan up it no problem. The difference between the petrol and the deasel is the the petrol doesn't have the problem of turbo lag, the power is delivered smoothly with good torque at low rev's. We also tour Scotland at least twice a year and never had a problem or felt unsafe.

If your going to give advice try making it from experience, as for your 'brother' I'd advise him to get his car looked at there's obviously something wrong with it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry i can't agree with any of the replies so far.THE TD 4 IS A BAG OF POO!

How do I know well when I bought bought my SUV I road tested the TD4 and the X-trail over 2 weekends they do not compare the X-trail is far superior.

Facts

Which SUV has been voted best in its class for the past 3 years - The X-Trail.

Reliability - Look at the reports on www.honestjohn.co.uk

Depreciation in the Sunday Times motoring supplement 2 wks ago the X-Trail was recommended above the TD4.

Last summer I met a former Land Rover employee who as part of his retirement package was able to buy a TD4 at a considerable had so many problems sold it after 6 months guess what he bought.

The X-Trail is Japanese so what don't they build cars in the North East of England.
We tow with a Td4 we have had it from new and is now 2 years old never had any problems with it and tows our 1400kg van like a dream.

We did look at the X trail before we bought the Freelander as they had just come out. What put me off more than anything is they look ugly and the boot space is rubbish. The Td4 has a lot deeper boot

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
Some people don't half talk rubbish, I own a 1.8 Freelander, I live at the top of a steep hill, still manage to tow my caravan up it no problem. The difference between the petrol and the deasel is the the petrol doesn't have the problem of turbo lag, the power is delivered smoothly with good torque at low rev's. We also tour Scotland at least twice a year and never had a problem or felt unsafe.

If your going to give advice try making it from experience, as for your 'brother' I'd advise him to get his car looked at there's obviously something wrong with it.
I own a 1-year old Freelander 1.8 petrol, and I have had no problems at all. As for all this "it struggles to get up hills" rubbish, well, I've towed my caravan up the hills on the M62 from Manchester to Leeds, and I managed 60mph.

What more do you "legally" want??

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts