French Aires "rules" - or not!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
There's a common misunderstanding (perpetuated on p12 of the August mag) regarding the use of French Aires, to the effect that you can't sit ouside, or use any outdoor "kit." While this is true of some Aires, where there are signs to say so, or where the Aire is simply one end of a general car park, AFAIK it's NOT a general rule in properly-designated Aires.

The time when those restrictions DO apply is when we take advantage of French anti-discrimination laws, to park overnight in other places. The law then says that if a car can park there, so can a motorhome. Even a "camping-cars interdit" sign has no legal force. But that's when it's important to make the distinction between "parking" and "camping." If you're relying on that right, especially in the face of one of those signs, you've got to act like a car - which means NOTHING deployed outside the vehicle at all. Also, if there are marked bays, you must be within one, not parked across three! (which may of course restrict where a larger van can use this right).

Some communes, particularly in popular coastal places where this parking right has been abused, have taken to putting up "Camping-cars interdit" signs. Although these have no legal force, personally I'm not inclined to argue the finer points of French law in the middle of the night with the Police Municipale! Plus, if they've provided a proper Aire for our use (even if there's a small charge) I feel it's only good manners to make use of it, rather than park somewhere the locals have asked you not to.

In summary, the rules distinguishing "parking" from "camping" don't, in general, apply on Aires, but DO apply if you rely on your "right to park." So it's not just custom and practice that made it OK for Geoff and Chrissie to put out their chairs on an Aire, it was (IMHO) perfectly legal.

Of course I'm not a lawyer, so drivers as always are responsible for making sure that whatever they do is legal! Ex-pats (Retread?) feel free to say if you think I've got any of this wrong, I'll gladly correct it.

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that Tony!

Aires now there is a word to conjure with in general it translates to "Area", and so there are parking areas, service areas and Camping areas. The only rule is that listed inside all new French motorhomes RESPECT (see below) so be a good Scout and take nothing and leave only your footprints behind. Some aires are just car parks with limited space, if the bay is long enough to place chairs in front or behind the van then OK in country areas, but on no account use a second bay as your pic-nic space. If there are grassy areas then pic-nic on the grass thats what its there for!
Never empty waste water on the ground or in a rain water drain, the Anglais have a reputation for being insanitary maybe unfairly so.
Always try to park so that your habitation door is not facing your neighbours. Not always easy in a UK van.

Respecter la nature To respect nature
Eviter le regroupement To avoid congregating together
Stationner dans les lieux appropriés, To park in the adapted places
Privilégier le commerce local To utilise the local traders
Etre courtois et discret To be courteous and discrete
Communiquer avec autrui To communicate with others
Tenir l’ensemble de ces engagements To hold the whole of these engagements

The situation in Spain is a lot more difficult, even on a designated Aire then only parking is permitted no Camping and that means nothing may rest upon the ground except your tyres, no wedges, no washing hanging out the windows etc.

If all else fails: when in France or Spain or Italy; do as the French/Espagnol/Italians Do; but do so better. :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS